Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying a US passport for my 3 year old son. Please help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Hello,
His grandparents already booked the flights overseas for next year trip in February. Now my son will travel with them. I haven't called the airline to add him to the trip but the seats are still available (I don't know how limited the seats are).
Same day passport agency in Los Angeles asks for the flight ticket before we get line in front of their office. Can I just book the flight now with a random passport number and then apply a US passport for him either regular or expedited ones? And then call the airline to update with the correct passport number.
I hate to do that but because the Passport office asks for the ticket first. And the airline asks for passport number first before letting me book the ticket.
Thanks.

Last edited by fandi; Oct 22, 2018 at 4:00 pm
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Airline should be able to issue tickets even without passport information.

If the airline insists, then make sure that the price of the infant ticket will not change (it should not as it is based on the portion of the adult ticket paid). Then apply the passport regularly.

You have more than enough time for a February 2019 travel.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fandi
Same day passport agency in Los Angeles asks for the flight ticket before we get line in front of their office. Can I just book the flight now with a random passport number and then apply a US passport for him either regular or expedited ones? And then call the airline to update with the correct passport number.
Which same-day passport agency are you using? Something doesn't sound right about paying an agency exorbitant fees to get a same-day passport for a flight months away.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Passports are not required for bookings or ticket issuance.My grand-daughter (born 10 Aug) already has a passport. Took 2 1/2 weeks- application filed at La Quinta,CA post office. My passport renewal on other hand paying for express services and me sending by FedEx took about the same.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jspira
Which same-day passport agency are you using? Something doesn't sound right about paying an agency exorbitant fees to get a same-day passport for a flight months away.
The Federal Agency in L.A.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Airline should be able to issue tickets even without passport information.

If the airline insists, then make sure that the price of the infant ticket will not change (it should not as it is based on the portion of the adult ticket paid). Then apply the passport regularly.

You have more than enough time for a February 2019 travel.
I talked to Chase UR (Expedia) and was told that I can't ADD a ticket for minor to an existing itinerary via their system. They suggest me to contact Cathay directly to do that. The problem is I don't want to pay out of pocket for a separate ticket when I still have Chase UR points. I think I have to pay the $200 penalty for revising an issued ticket to replace my dad with my son and then later on book a ticket for my dad separately using Chase points.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hello,
His grandparents already booked the flights overseas for next year trip in February. Now my son will travel with them. I haven't called the airline to add him to the trip but the seats are still available (I don't know how limited the seats are).
I hate to do that but because the Passport office asks for the ticket first. And the airline asks for passport number first before letting me book the ticket.
Thanks.
What I've seen done is getting the flights to be booked under the name of the child as it will be in the passport and to either get the birth-year loaded wrong (so as to make it seem like the child is old enough to be an adult or unaccompanied minor) or to book the travel/ticket over the phone with the correct birthdate in full. There is no general requirement to have the child's passport/passport details in order to book an international flight. I usually make such bookings without entering in any passport info into the booking. It's ok for the ticketed child's booking to be in its own booking reference locator.

It's possible to use a refundable ticket to present for applying for expedited passport service. Actually, it's the only thing I use when seeking expedited passport service in the US for US passport issuance.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by garykung
Infant fares usually cut off at age 2 (24 months). Subject says the child is 3 years old, so they're looking at a regular adult ticket (or a child fare if offered).
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
What I've seen done is getting the flights to be booked under the name of the child as it will be in the passport and to either get the birth-year loaded wrong (so as to make it seem like the child is old enough to be an adult or unaccompanied minor) or to book the travel/ticket over the phone with the correct birthdate in full. There is no general requirement to have the child's passport/passport details in order to book an international flight. I usually make such bookings without entering in any passport info into the booking. It's ok for the ticketed child's booking to be in its own booking reference locator.

It's possible to use a refundable ticket to present for applying for expedited passport service. Actually, it's the only thing I use when seeking expedited passport service in the US for US passport issuance.
Like other poster mentioned, I COULD book the flight for my son without passport number (can't verify if I could do that with Chase UR handling by Expedia yet) and then apply for a regular passport since I still have time until next Feb.
To avoid $200 penalty for taking my dad's name out of the issued ticket and replace with my son's name, I could do the way you mentioned that is putting the wrong year to make him not a minor. But the question is I don't know if the airline would even allow him to be aboard and to arrange he sits next to his grandparents on the flight day when they realize my son actually a minor. Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Infant fares usually cut off at age 2 (24 months). Subject says the child is 3 years old, so they're looking at a regular adult ticket (or a child fare if offered).
The full ticket is around $635 and they offer child fares for $585.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Like other poster mentioned, I COULD book the flight for my son without passport number (can't verify if I could do that with Chase UR handling by Expedia yet) and then apply for a regular passport since I still have time until next Feb.
To avoid $200 penalty for taking my dad's name out of the issued ticket and replace with my son's name, I could do the way you mentioned that is putting the wrong year to make him not a minor. But the question is I don't know if the airline would even allow him to be aboard and to arrange he sits next to his grandparents on the flight day when they realize my son actually a minor. Thanks.
I’ve seen it work a lot, and the airline would work to make sure the young child is seated next to an accompanying adult. They would need to update the birthdate info to match the passport, but they have to do that anyway.
fandi likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

I’ve seen it work a lot, and the airline would work to make sure the young child is seated next to an accompanying adult. They would need to update the birthdate info to match the passport, but they have to do that anyway.
Should I contact Chase UR/Expedia once his passport is ready or should I wait until they're aboard to do that at the gate with Cathay? Thanks.

Last edited by fandi; Oct 23, 2018 at 4:34 pm
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Should I contact Chase UR/Expedia once his passport is ready or should I wait until they're aboard to do that at the gate with Cathay? Thanks.
At check-in with the operating carrier at the airport, or over the phone with the operating carrier.
fandi likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:20 am
Original Poster

At check-in with the operating carrier at the airport, or over the phone with the operating carrier.
Got it. Thanks a lot.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My suggestion would be to get the passport quickly through the USA Passport Agency near you (which tends to be quicker than applying by mail), but you don't need to pay the extra fees for same day service (unless you live far from them and want the convenience of only making one trip, although IIRC they can mail the passport to you very promptly). BTW, I'm not sure that needing the passport number to get plane tickets is an acceptable reason for very fast service, or even how you would document this, so just booking a refundable dummy international ticket might be the easiest way. (For a child traveler, do you need to show tickets for an adult too? If so, this could be a good time to obtain/renew your own passport.)

I'd also book the kid's plane ticket very soon, before seat availability disappears and before prices rise.

Don't mess around with trying to change the name on an existing ticket. Most airlines allow this only for minor name corrections and not to change the identity of the person who will be using the ticket to travel.

Don't worry about having child and grandparents on the same reservation (PNR). You can call the airline to tell them to "link" the tickets and advise them that these adults are accompanying the child.

In this case, it's clearly worth paying seat fees to get seats together now rather than worrying about this on the day of departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.