Wiki Posts
Search

US VISA problems

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:39 am
Original Poster

US VISA problems

Hello all,

My first post on here and I'm from the UK.

In March this year I went to London to apply for a US VISA, due to have a couple of minors on my criminal record. I didn't think it would be a problem, but after getting there, I sadly got rejected for "family, economic and social reasons". This was despite me having visited before.

At this present time, I am unemployed & have a disability & I don't know how much this is affecting my application for a visa.

I've read different things in many different places as to what to do. Such as evidence of ties to the UK (letter from parent?), letter from friend (travelling with), and potentially documents showing return from US previously and other countries. Any other suggestions?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
What were you convicted for, and when?

Did you complete ESTA? How did you answer the questions regarding Crimes Involving Moral Turpitude?

Was your ESTA denied? Did you tick 'yes' to the crime questions and were you absolutely sure said crimes were CIMTs?

The consulate tends to deny people eligible for ESTA but apply for B2s. But aside from that, being unemployed won't do you any favours.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skatering
What were you convicted for, and when?

Did you complete ESTA? How did you answer the questions regarding Crimes Involving Moral Turpitude?

Was your ESTA denied? Did you tick 'yes' to the crime questions and were you absolutely sure said crimes were CIMTs?

The consulate tends to deny people eligible for ESTA but apply for B2s. But aside from that, being unemployed won't do you any favours.
I remember doing the ESTA when I first visited and was ok, then a few years ago getting rejected. I can't remember what I answered to these questions though.

My convictions are drunk and disorderly & assault.

I've read in numerous places regarding unemployment & very different replies. Some say it shouldn't be a problem and some say it might be the problem.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by Runnah
I remember doing the ESTA when I first visited and was ok, then a few years ago getting rejected. I can't remember what I answered to these questions though.

My convictions are drunk and disorderly & assault.

I've read in numerous places regarding unemployment & very different replies. Some say it shouldn't be a problem and some say it might be the problem.
Okay. From the (admittedly very limited) information, it sounds like you were still eligible to use ESTA (the questions changed but the underlying legislation behind them did not) and were likely denied because you were eligible to use the VWP. That is assuming you answered correctly the first time. If you did not, it's trickier.

Unfortunately, now you have a visa denial, you'll have to declare that denial on every subsequent ESTA application, which will lead to ESTA being denied for about 6-12 months.

You have not said when these convictions were, which is important.

However, I would recommend you go to the BritishExpats US immigration forum and post on there. Those people can advise you better.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Now that you've been convicted, no judgement, have you completed any assigned punishments such as jail time, rehab, anger management, community service? If this is recent you may be able to appeal showing that you completed such thing and if it's a while back you might be able to get a statement from the court stating your completion and fulfillment of "paying your debt to society".

The not working part leads to suspicion of overstaying. You mentioned a disability. Was this mentioned? Is it a medical/physical disability of a medical nature CBP could be wary of you trying to get treatment while here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.