Wiki Posts
Search

Who's Heard of Stewart Airport?!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Who's Heard of Stewart Airport?!

Hey Guys,

I was looking to book a trip to NY for my mum as cheaply as possible and found trips to a USA airport called Stewart International?!

Now I consider myself to have a pretty good knowledge of aircraft and airports but I've never heard of Stewart.

This article seems to think it's about to become the 'future of transatlantic travel'?! www.thelondonspotter.co.uk/stewartairport

Is what he says true do you think???

I'm just interested to hear what you all think about this airport. If the blogger is right it could be an amazing airport to fly to but if he's purely trying to get in the airport's good books then who knows...

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I have.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Me too.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
SWF.

A new thread without an OP post?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I've flown into it before but not when I was visiting NYC.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
I have as well.

Why do you ask?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Grew up near it. Flown in and out of it a couple of dozen times. As it's a joint Civilian airport & Air Force Base its great for AF plane spotting.
Small and easy airport. Nothing fancy but also easy to get from curb to gate quickly and the reverse.

Have seen AF1 (well technically 28000/29000 mostly acting as the backup craft).

It also is a backup landing site for the Shuttle due to the long and thick runways used by the AF there.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Sep 21, 2017 at 12:01 am Reason: add
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:38 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
These was some kind of bug in the OP's post, which allowed the title to be shown, but not specific content. This has been fixed.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
My parents still live near SWF and the new flights are a welcomed expansion but SWF won't have a drastic change to "NYC" travel. It's too removed with limited transportation options. The new bus system that waits for all passengers can work with the limited schedule but a true connection to the city would be needed for true growth. Af rail spur to the NJ Transit operated Metro North system doesn't seem probable nor practical with the limited schedule along with an additional need to transfer in Secaucus or Hoboken to enter the city. No doubt CoachUSA and/or Greyhound/Peter Pan/Trailways buses can supplement as traffic grows at SWF but those buses can still be highly impacted by traffic especially on summer weekends where one can easily sit on the thruway for two hours.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Isn't Norwegian flying out of SWF now? That should increase its visibility.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RajStevenson
Now I consider myself to have a pretty good knowledge of aircraft and airports but I've never heard of Stewart.
Just because YOU haven't heard of it doesn't mean that it's not known!

If you're considering SWF, compare fares with EWR and JFK to see if there is really a cost savings. Include the cost (and time) of commuting between SWF up in Orange County and NYC.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I learned about Stewart in 2004 when my SFO-JFK flight on AA was diverted there due to lightning at JFK. We refueled and were back in the air about 90 mins later. Memorable trip as I was on my way to the Olympics in Athens and missed my connecting Iberia flight at JFK, causing a rerouting on an AA flight to London and Olympic Airways onto Athens. Made it to my hotel around midnight just before train service was due to stop for the day.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I love the fact that the road to the airport is NY 747... Makes me chuckle every time I drive by the exit off I-84
Old Sep 25, 2017, 4:00 pm

That didn't sound right as when I grew up there it was County Route 54 where I got my first speeding ticket. Seems in 2007 it was converted to a State Route. Still chuckle worthy to use aeronautical nuts.

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
I love the fact that the road to the airport is NY 747... Makes me chuckle every time I drive by the exit off I-84
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Does Uber leave from Stewart? It doesn't appear to on their website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.