Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First US passport - no tracking?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

First US passport - no tracking?

I apllied for my first US passport last week. I went to my local USPS with my completed form / picture and so forth.

Upon paying the $25 'acceptance fee' I asked why there was no tracking number available to me for its delivery to PA. USPS just said they don't offer tracking for new passport applications.

I'm frustrated that my sole US nationality document is somewhere in transit without any way for me to track its progress or for USPS to find it in case it is lost.

Is this initial passport experience correct? Seems like a complete farce to me that if one uses USPS to process their passport they're unable to track it!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
*Insert generic joke about USPS being unable to track their own heads when inserted into their rectums*

You can track the progress of your application at the State Department this way

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...on-status.html

Good luck!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Nothing showing there yet and my cheque also hasn't been cashed.

*sigh*

I knew I should have gone to the local passport agency.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by toph3r
Thanks. Nothing showing there yet and my cheque also hasn't been cashed.

*sigh*

I knew I should have gone to the local passport agency.
If you can't pull it up on the above state linked site after 3 or 4 weeks -- assuming regular (non-expedited) application -- then that's when I'd start to consider what to do next.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:02 am
Original Poster

It has just started tracking at the Dept of State site this morning! *relief*
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:26 am

When did you mail in your documents? Curious to hear how long it took from date of mailing to show up online. We travel in 6 weeks and sent in without expedite so I will be tracking closely.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mb61
When did you mail in your documents? Curious to hear how long it took from date of mailing to show up online. We travel in 6 weeks and sent in without expedite so I will be tracking closely.
My bet is you get it before five weeks are completed unless there is a material problem with the application itself.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Mailed 2017-06-14. Started tracking 2017-06-19. I chose the expedited service.

FWIW - A colleague recently sent in for their first passport (without expedited service) and it took 5-6 weeks. I would be tempted to call and upgrade the application to expedited.

Last edited by toph3r; Jun 15, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
My bet is you get it before five weeks are completed unless there is a material problem with the application itself.
Yes, I agree. I spoke to a lovely woman at the State Dept this morning (which is weird, as I'm so used to talking only to USCIS over the last few years!) who informed me if I needed to travel urgently (which I may very well need to) they can arrange for me to collect a passport at my local Passport Agency as they have my naturalisation certificate in the system now. Otherwise, she said she'd try and get it to me by the end of next week. Very impressed so far.

Last edited by toph3r; Jun 15, 2017 at 2:01 pm
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Update: my passport is on its way back via overnight post.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:48 pm

upgrading to expedited service.

Originally Posted by toph3r
Mailed 2017-06-14. Started tracking 2017-06-19. I chose the expedited service.

FWIW - A colleague recently sent in for their first passport (without expedited service) and it took 5-6 weeks. I would be tempted to call and upgrade the application to expedited.
We submitted with regular service. Can you update to expedited service after the regular application was sent?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:59 am
Original Poster

I believe you can, yes. I would phone the State Dept. They were incredibly helpful for me.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:00 pm

I just throw my passport renewal in the ordinary mail.

It has always come back.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:15 am
Suspended

We submitted with regular service. Can you update to expedited service after the regular application was sent?
At this point I wouldn't be doing that. But your call.

The only thing I would possibly do in this circumstance is to make sure to pay for a faster delivery service for the post-passport-issuance part of the situation. If you already paid for a faster mailing/courier delivery service, then I would just wait to see that the passport has been issued around 7-12 days before your trip. But that's just me.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
I just throw my passport renewal in the ordinary mail.

It has always come back.
Good for you. There should still be a way to track USPS delivering important paperwork for first time passport applicants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.