Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 11:05 am

You can renew it whenever you want
Old May 29, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
I can't wait to see the new passport design!
Old May 29, 2018, 10:56 pm

To SOOJE_SJ:
I'm pretty sure email addresses are NOT case sensitive.
seawolf likes this.

Last edited by Shaniqua Chadae Jenkins; May 29, 2018 at 11:00 pm Reason: Add more text
Old May 30, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by Shaniqua Chadae Jenkins
To SOOJE_SJ:
I'm pretty sure email addresses are NOT case sensitive.
You are right. For some reason I thought I had tested it before and found that email addresses were case sensitive. However, I just tried it now, they are not case sensitive. So it was an incorrect assumption on my part.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:44 pm

Passport - Renewal for my daughter

I have travel coming up on 6/16. I am using third party agent to renew the passport using expedited service.. State department cashed my check on 6/4. I was wondering if anyone has experience with these third party agencies. If this passport is not here by Monday or Tuesday should I consider going to the DC passport office ?

Thanks
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:05 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Deleted
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:08 pm

"DOOR to DOOR": 8 days including a weekend

US passport renewal timeline:
2018-05-29 Tue - sent old passport for EXPEDITED SERVICE via USPS priority mail
2018-05-31 Thu -USPS shows package delivered
2018-06-04 Mon - Bank shows check has been cashed
2018-06-07 Thu - new passport received

Note: This was the first time I gave them my email address, so while I assume that _now_ it's in their system, I received no email notifications throughout the process.

Ehud Gavron
Tucson AZ
FAA CPL-H
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Don't give up hope. I had something important show up after missing for two months.

In any event, file a search with the USPS Mail Recovery Center; perhaps the passport and envelope got separated:

https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

It looks like U.S. passports found loose in the mail are automatically returned to the State Department, but whether that includes cancelled passports I don't know. In any event, you might want to contact the State Department as well. Do a Google search for an office there called CLASP.
Don't give up hope, indeed. The State Department admitted over the phone my old passport was lost and I should get new visas, but it showed up today in the mail months late.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:28 pm

Hi! New here. Waiting patiently for my passport to arrive.

Here are my data points:

05/21/2018 - Mailed renewal of passport/passport card, ROUTINE service, to Irving, Texas Passport Renewal Center - requesting 52 page renewal and passport card.
05/23/2018 - Passport/Passport card arrived at Irving, TX
05/26/2018 - Passport App traceable via passport application status website, received e-mail from Dept of State notifying me of the same.
05/29/2018 - Department of State cashed my check
06/13/ 2018 - Still waiting for updates.

While it is still within the 4-6 weeks time frame from DOS, I was hoping to get lucky and get it within 3 weeks, like some data points listed in here. Oh well. Another factor, I am a dual citizen so I had write a separate "ACTS and CONDITIONS" statement explaining my dual citizenship. Perhaps, that could be the delay but who knows. Will update once I get my passport and passport card has been renewed.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:05 am

Door To Door: 11 days

First time applying for a PassPort
6/5/18: Sent Passport information to Philadelphia and selected expedited and next day delivery
6/8/18: Checked the website, notification that my information was in the system
6/11/18: Check from the bank cleared and received e-mail that they are processing my information
6/13/18: Received an email that the passport application has been completed and expected delivery of 6/16/18
6/14/18: Checked Tracking this morning, expected to be delivered today (6/14/18) at 3PM

Last edited by Kerry Koch; Jun 14, 2018 at 7:17 am
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:03 am

Just some datapoints for my passport renewal:

This is for Regular Renewal Service

6/1/18: Mailed DS-82 via Certified Mail
6/7/18: Delivered to US Passport Processing Center (PA)
6/8/18: Email received saying my passport being processed
6/11/18: check cleared
6/18/18: Email 9:45 pm "Finished processing passport and it as been printed"
6/19/18: Email 1:45 am "Received tracking number" "Expect delivery on or before 6/24/18
6/21/18: Passport delivered

Last edited by TulsaCoker; Jun 22, 2018 at 9:23 am Reason: added delivery date
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:04 pm

Hi,

I am in dilemma here. Any insight will be helpful! We are planning to travel 7/23 (tickets not yet booked due to new credit card not yet delivered (trying to get extra points by meeting minimum spend requirement with these tickets purchase ), and realized passport are expired

Should I go urgent passport agency route ( needing visa for second country we will visit, first country does not need visa) OR just do the expedited service hoping renewed passport will reach me in time?
I have appointment with passport agency in two days but I wont be able to purchase my ticket before that.

Once I send the passport to National Passport Processing Center, PA, If my travel date is too close by, can I contact them? Is it even possible?
Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:34 am

yes I would just use expedite renewal... with over night each way I would expect your passport to be returned in two weeks. You also can contact them once its in their system. they will give you a locator number
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by TulsaCoker
yes I would just use expedite renewal... with over night each way I would expect your passport to be returned in two weeks. You also can contact them once its in their system. they will give you a locator number
Thanks, expedited using express service last evening. Its been delivered this morning.Will post data points when I receive it in hand.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by dealhunter999
Thanks, expedited using express service last evening. Its been delivered this morning.Will post data points when I receive it in hand.
This has been awesome and expensive experience! Here are my data points:

This is for Expedite Renewal Service (for two) at PHILADELPHIA, PA 19190 processing center.

6/25/18: 4:00pm Mailed DS-82 via priority Express ($25) (we put in two packets in express mail packet -> saved $25)
6/26/18: 10:00am Delivered to US Passport Processing Center (PA)
6/28/18: Email received saying my passport being processed (you need to check status and register your email address again to get this email)
6/28/18: Check cleared
6/29/18: Email 2:48 pm "Finished processing passport and it as been printed", Expected delivery on or before 07/04/2018 via priority express.
6/29/18:Received tracking number, in-transit
6/30/18: Passport Delivered!
Total: 5 days!!
Way to go passport office!

Jaimito Cartero likes this.

Last edited by dealhunter999; Jun 30, 2018 at 2:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.