Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2021, 7:07 pm

Daughter Passport

Hey everyone!

We sent my daughter's application for her passport on January 17. The passport was approved on February 19 and shipped on February 24. I got the tracking number for the package with the passport and still have not received the passport. When I check the tracking on the USPS website it says, "Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way." I think the package is lost! What do I do? Yesterday (March 1) we received the birth certificate but have not received the passport
Old Mar 2, 2021, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
too big? Too small?
Too big. I got confused with the face and hair size! I have only myself to blame.
The whole thing does seem to highlight however that a lot of the problems and delays don't stem directly from passport issuance, but rather from sending it there and back again.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Traveler05
Yeah I'm basically in the same boat. Mine said delivered Sunday afternoon on February 7th to the Philadelphia po box. Not a word since and they havent cashed my check. I've called the passport agency twice but they had no information, but I guess why would they if the check isn't cashed.
Same here. USPS delivered 3 weeks ago but passport status website shows Not Found. Guess the backlog in Philadelphia is heavy.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by davie355
Same here. USPS delivered 3 weeks ago but passport status website shows Not Found. Guess the backlog in Philadelphia is heavy.
Let me know if you receive any updates on it. I'll do the same! Trying to hold off on reporting it lost.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was able to speak with a representative at the National Passport Information Center (877-487-2778) a few minutes ago. I explained my situation and was told that the USPS is currently having “issues” forwarding passport applications to the facility where the actual passport is made and that I should wait at least a month and a half before reporting the passport as “lost” and initiating a new application.

She also said I should monitor my bank account to see if the check is cashed. Something I've already been doing.

Tomorrow is one month from the date I put the thing in the mail. Six weeks will be March 18. I’m going to be patient until March 25, at which point two U.S. Senators, a U.S. Representative, the Secretary of State and the Postmaster General will all be getting letters they don't want to read.

On second though, it might be better to email them if I want to get the message through before they die.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by kale73

Tomorrow is one month from the date I put the thing in the mail. Six weeks will be March 18. I’m going to be patient until March 25, at which point two U.S. Senators, a U.S. Representative, the Secretary of State and the Postmaster General will all be getting letters they don't want to read.

On second though, it might be better to email them if I want to get the message through before they die.
If you want assistance from one of your representatives, I suggest picking one of them and asking fr help via an electronic form. That should get you the fastest and best assistance.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She also said I should monitor my bank account to see if the check is cashed.
Check was deposited yesterday. Fingers crossed.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:58 am

Check was deposited yesterday. Fingers crossed.
Mine says delivered February 7th. Still no check cashed 😞 was around the same as yours so maybe mine will be soon, but am glad to hear yours finally was.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally got an email:

Originally Posted by The U.S. Department of State
Application Status: In Process

The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 03/03/2021. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents.

You requested routine service when you applied, which we are currently processing in 10-12 weeks.
So 10-12 weeks for processing and another 4 weeks for the USPS to deliver. I should have my new passport by June 23.

Good thing I'm not planning to go anywhere where I absolutely need it.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Getting a bit panicked -
Feb 1st - mailed
Feb 19th - delivered to Philadelphia (expedited )
Feb 23 - email received that application is in process
Feb 23 - check cased

No updates since then
I leave for travel on March 25th

Looking at some of the other timelines reported, I feel like I've got about another week for an update

If I contact my State Reps is there anything they can do at this stage?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:11 am

Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever had an "amendment (code 74 (R)) showing the bearer’s full legal name" in his US passport? If so, did you have to request it, or was it added spontaneously?
I wonder if any abnormalities (presence of amendments, lack of national social security ID number, request for a bigger booklet) might contribute to some delays.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Getting a bit panicked -
Feb 1st - mailed
Feb 19th - delivered to Philadelphia (expedited )
Feb 23 - email received that application is in process
Feb 23 - check cased

No updates since then
I leave for travel on March 25th

Looking at some of the other timelines reported, I feel like I've got about another week for an update

If I contact my State Reps is there anything they can do at this stage?
Did you request the fastest postal delivery available?
If not it might be worth it upgrading to it for the mailing of the booklet to you. From previous posts it appears you can upgrade the return by calling the hotline.
Personally I think that contacting the representative earlier is better - even just pointing the situation out with a sense of moderate rather than extreme urgency.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by crescatfloreat
Did you request the fastest postal delivery available?
If not it might be worth it upgrading to it for the mailing of the booklet to you. From previous posts it appears you can upgrade the return by calling the hotline.
Personally I think that contacting the representative earlier is better - even just pointing the situation out with a sense of moderate rather than extreme urgency.
I can’t remember about shipping to me, I think I did. I paid $170, would I have paid more for expedited shipping?

as an update, I did contact my rep
3/4 - contacted rep
3/5 2:00 pm, rep said they have sent request to review to passport agency
3/5 6:00 pm, received email that passport is approved and I should receive by 3/13

Last edited by chicagoflyer1976; Mar 5, 2021 at 7:52 pm
Old Mar 6, 2021, 8:39 am

Nice!

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I can’t remember about shipping to me, I think I did. I paid $170, would I have paid more for expedited shipping?

as an update, I did contact my rep
3/4 - contacted rep
3/5 2:00 pm, rep said they have sent request to review to passport agency
3/5 6:00 pm, received email that passport is approved and I should receive by 3/13

That's great. I'm in the same boat. I mailed over night, expedited Feb 21st.. says received and processing Feb 25th. It's March 6th and still says processing. We leave March 29th. I'll wait another week. Then try the state rep if nothing has changed. How did you find out how and who to contact? Congrats on getting yours in time!
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:46 am

Does anyone know if the passport agency works 7 days a week? Do the post passport updates 7 days a week? Seems i'm checking the website 10 times a day.lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.