Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:22 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by greg5
The poster mentioned that they have access to the renewal process for government employees. The rest of us have to use the old way with mailing our stuff in.
Anyone can apply to participate in the pilot program.

Renew Your U.S. Passport Online!
The U.S. Department of State is launching an online portal so you can renew your U.S. passport 24/7 from the convenience of your home. We are testing the portal with a limited audience before launching it to the general public later in 2022.

Do you want to participate in this special pilot program? Let us know if you are interested by completing this interest form.

We will email you next steps within several days after you sign up. Please doublecheck the spelling of your email address as email is the primary way we will use to communicate with you.

After you pre-register and create a MyTravelGov account, you will need to wait up to one week before you can renew online. Signing up on this interest form does not mean you are obligated to renew online, and does not guarantee that you will be able to renew online.
greg5 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ikanip79
Hi,
A newbie here. I am seeking experiences from folks who have applied for their US passport (first time / renewal) via the "expedited" option (with extra $60) at an acceptance facility. Currently, official timelines are 5-7 weeks. Have any of you got it sooner? My wife and I mailed ours via USPS acceptance facility on 5/20/22, received by passport office on 5/24, check cashed 5/25 and "in process" now. Locator code (first two digits from app locator no.) is 42 (New Orleans?)
Thanks!
Looking at some recent reports from scrolling up this thread, it seems most "expedited" applications are being approved ~2 weeks after they show "in process", then add 3 days mailing time.

My best guess is if your application doesn't have any problems it will be approved this week and you will receive early next week.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
Looking at some recent reports from scrolling up this thread, it seems most "expedited" applications are being approved ~2 weeks after they show "in process", then add 3 days mailing time.

My best guess is if your application doesn't have any problems it will be approved this week and you will receive early next week.
Thanks a lot threeoh !
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:10 pm

Attempting an appointment for my minor children's passport renewal in SoCal. Our window opens tomorrow. Do I still press 1 for "new passport" for them in the phone tree before looping through "3" to wait for 8am?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:41 am

Applied at a U.S. consulate in South Africa, regular service, on May 11.

Printed and mailed on May 11, arrived at consulate May 17. Passport card arrived May 26. It was an ePassport and not NextGen.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dtokuda
Applied at a U.S. consulate in South Africa, regular service, on May 11.

Printed and mailed on May 11, arrived at consulate May 17. Passport card arrived May 26. It was an ePassport and not NextGen.
All passport service at US embassies/consulates comes back as if it’s expedited service even as there is no fee for such applicable.

At US embassies/consulates, it’s only in the event of a mess-up that the passport card would ever arrive before the passport.

4-6/7 business days from application to passport availability at the major missions seems to be the norm from what I’ve seen as of late. Passport card comes back about the way you saw it. Keep in mind that if the passport card is meant to be picked up at the mission and isn’t picked up after it arrives there, then 90 days later the passport card could be on its way out for disposal.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 4:32 pm

I applied for my passport renewal via the online renewal pilot program on June 5, and I marked that I had a future travel date within 14 days, despite the system saying I shouldn't apply for a passport via the online renewal service if that was the case (I figured I may as well get the process started, and if the passport didn't arrive, I could just cancel my international trip). I was able to get an appointment in San Francisco for "urgent travel" as I assumed my passport wouldn't arrive before my June 17 departure (pro tip, if you need a last minute passport, reach out to your congress rep's office, they can help you get appts).

Shockingly, I got an email this afternoon saying my passport has shipped - don't have the arrival date yet (just the shipping label has been created via USPS), but has anyone heard of a passport being turned around in a week's time? I'm hoping it's not a glitch, but worst case I do have an appointment on June 16 for a last minute passport if necessary. Hoping I don't have to go to it though !
Old Jun 11, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
4/15/22 Applied for four minor passports at two appointments due to scheduling (1&3, two different USPS locations). Standard service. No travel dates listed.
4/25/22 All "in process" at location #69
6/10/22 Single appointment delivered.
6/11/22 3x appointments delivered

Now off to the LA consulate to get their Italian passports.
ikanip79 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 12:28 pm
vji

answered

Last edited by vji; Jun 15, 2022 at 6:11 am
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by vji
Does anyone know if you renewed online if your existing passport is still okay for travel (given it is still valid and won't be expiring for >6 months)? Only as a last resort, of course, but not sure if it is allowed or not.
It is not.

From the link which I posted above:
You can renew online if you can respond "Yes" to all the following statements:*

I am not traveling internationally in the next 5 weeks from the date I renew online. Note: processing times for the online renewal service will be the same as those for renewal by mail. We will offer both routine (currently 8-11 weeks) and expedited service (currently 5-7 weeks).

I am aware that my most recent passport will be immediately invalidated when I submit my application and I cannot use it for international travel.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
State really should update that language to say something like this: “I am aware that my most recent passport will be immediately invalidated when I submit my application and I ***will not*** use it for international travel.”

The passport is to be rendered electronically invalidated with that kind of online renewal application submission. But I’m just waiting to see when someone gets caught using a US passport electronically invalidated by way of this kind of online renewal process.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:42 pm

Requested expedited service with expedited mailing. Renewed one adult passport (using mail-in DS-82) and two child passports (in-person using DS-2 form):

Adult Passport:
4/26: Mailed application using DS-82 renewal form filler
4/27: Delivered
4/29: In process (Locator number 34: Charleston)
5/2: Check cashed
5/18: Approved
5/19: Shipped from Tucson
5/20: Arrived
As of today, the old passport has yet to arrive.

Child 1 Passport:
4/26: Submitted application at passport agency using DS-2 form filler
4/29: In process (Locator number 69: Portsmouth, NH or Philadelphia)
5/19: Approved
5/20: Shipped from Little Rock
5/21: Arrived
5/28: Old passport arrived

Child 2 Passport:

Overall, relatively fast turnaround, and much faster than the quoted 8-10 weeks!
estnet and ikanip79 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by zkmusa
Requested expedited service with expedited mailing. Renewed one adult passport (using mail-in DS-82) and two child passports (in-person using DS-2 form):

Adult Passport:

Child 1 Passport:

Child 2 Passport:

Overall, relatively fast turnaround, and much faster than the quoted 8-10 weeks!
Were any of these next generation passports?
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by zkmusa

Adult Passport:

Child 1 Passport:

Child 2 Passport:

Actually, the quoted timeline for expedited service is 5-7 weeks. The timeline of 8-10 weeks is under normal processing.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:11 am
21A

Originally Posted by Wise Chaldean
I think the jury's in: Locator #69 is Portsmouth, not Philadelphia, and little credence need be given to return addresses.
What office name was on the return address line? National Passport Center?

I think the claim is that the name of the office identifies the processing office, not the city. (Mine was from Western Passport Center, also a Sterling VA PO Box)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.