Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite national park and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your favorite national park and why?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Yellowstone for me...there is such varied landscape, you feel you're in a far bigger place, although it is already quite large. The area around Mammoth Hot Springs is quite enjoyable (and only a short distance to the North entrance gate) where you can drive to Gardiner, MT, do laundry, check your email, and have a nice lunch. Then it's completely different scenery at Lake Yellowstone and at Old Faithful. Would love to go back again soon.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Zion. I just think it's beautiful.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Been to about 20 national parks; loved Denali, Grand Canyon, and Acadia; however, my favorite is the Redwoods. It doesn't seem to matter how many other people are hiking there, I quickly get lost in the forest.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
After touring a number since I last posted here in 2015 I'm going to say Great Basin. It's a gorgeous park high in the Nevada Mountains (at times over 11,000 feet) with Alpine Lakes and incredible views and hiking. It's also virtually ignored so unlike Zion you have the place essentially to yourself.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:32 pm

Top three for me:

Death Valley - Went there last year in June, had temperatures of 130F/53C. I wanted the desert experience, and I got it! Absolutely otherworldly beauty, especially driving Titus Canyon.

Bryce Canyon - Great weather in September for hiking, and the hoodoos are just gorgeous.

Hawaii Volcanoes National Park - Not sure what it'll look like once Kilauea settles down, but a beautiful park that really shows the power of nature.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:18 am

We recently did a tour through the Grand Canyon National park (south rim) ... it was quite impressive if you have never seen it before ...

furthermore we did the Death Valley National Park ... (My favorit after 3 weeks California)

Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:03 am
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Crater Lake is lovely.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Yosemite & Denali NPs - my favorites

Been to only a few NPs. Most memorable ones are Yosemite and Denali. Both I’ve visited more than once. I found Yosemite at her best in the winter, and Denali during fall foliage season and the wild life.

Here are a few shots from each NP.
From Yosemite: The “Firefall”

Yosemite Falls

Yosemite: The tunnel view

From Denali NP:

Denali: Fall foliage

Denali NP: She was OUT!

Denali NP: A brown bear

Just outside of Denali NP: Crazy sunset

Just outside of Denali NP: Aurora Borealis (northern lights), despite much nearby light pollution!
Old Nov 17, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
I loved Denali, but didn't get photos near as crisp as yours... those are some outstanding images.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by Blind and Green
I loved Denali, but didn't get photos near as crisp as yours... those are some outstanding images.
Yeah, beautiful shots!

Yosemite's vistas are truly stunning.
Denali is memorable.
Loved hiking Zion in 2020 when it was open but the buses were not running and there were relatively few people around.
Old May 2, 2023, 3:14 pm

In no particular order ...

Going to the Sun road in Glacier NP.

The Utah 5 - including the most beautiful drive through Utah on Hwy 89, plus Grand Staircase Escalante. And I have to add Valley of the Gods in southeast Utah, near Monument Valley.

Grand Tetons

Grand Canyon, north rim preferred, but south rim at sunset is stunning

Yellowstone

Yosemite

Many we still have to see, like Crater Lake, Kings Canyon and Sequoia that are hopefully on our list for this year.
Old May 5, 2023, 10:13 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
For natural / wildlife scenery the western parks cant be beat - but there are others that can't beat for other reasons. One of my favorites is Wolf Trap Nat Park for the Performing Arts. For performers and listeners, it has world class acoustics (I have heard some techs say the acoustics are functionally perfect) and amenities. It is famous for being one of the rare venues where attendees can bring and enjoy all of their own food and drink (including wine/alcohol in glass) INSIDE the venue during the performance (in the lawn area anyway - not the pavilion).

Not so much known is that a complete symphony orchestra can be performing/rehearsing at full volume in the backstage rehearsal space (which is directly behind the main stage) at the same time as a full symphony orchestra is performing on the main stage without one interfering with the other. The downstairs backstage greenroom spaces are equally first rate. (I was lucky one summer that a college buddy was one of the lead rangers and he assigned me some choice volunteer positions).

If you are ever in the DC during the spring/summer, do try to catch a show there - they always have something for everyone (from the NSO to the Violent Femmes).
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 5:26 pm

gotta go with Hawaii Volcanoes National Park for me.

There's just something so interesting about lava
Old May 18, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta PM
Biscayne for me, but I am a scuba diver.
Volcanoes, but was there before a lot of the restrictions. Was wild (and likely unsafe) standing over a crack where you could see molten lava below.
Old May 23, 2023, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by SusanDK
In no particular order ...
- Yosemite
Yosemite, but I haven't yet been to Grand Canyon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.