Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best city for raising family

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:02 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Are employment options an issue or can you live anywhere?

You might want to cruise the boards at City Data - http://www.city-data.com/forum/#u-s-forums - where city- and state-specific boards talk about relocation issues nonstop.

I would also suggest you make up a short list and start visiting candidate places, once in the "high" season, whatever that might be, and once in the opposite season.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Best city for raising family

OP here. Still looks like Boulder or Austin. At a certain income level taxes matter much more than cost of living. NYC city and state combined are over 12%.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:01 am

Seattle....
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM
Originally Posted by MotownMan
Born, raised, and schooled in KY

Agree with you on Utah being a great place for a family ^
Spent last 20 years in KY myself (SDF).
Old May 23, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: Still working on being loyal
Naples, FL
Old May 23, 2015, 9:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by l3arefoot
Naples, FL
Did you want to add a few lines of comments to go along with that?
Old May 24, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Well, the places that are nice to live have high taxes. The price you pay for living somewhere nice. Deal with it.
Absolutely false.
SIN, HKG, DXB all have low taxes and are great places to live.
(then again, for many, these tax savings mean nothing as the former 2 are the most expensive/9th most expensive cities in the world, respectively, and the latter has got much more expensive over the last few years.)
Old May 24, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: Still working on being loyal
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tom911
Did you want to add a few lines of comments to go along with that?
Sure, based on the requirements listed..

Also, I'm 29, I was born there, I've been fortunate enough to travel the world a handful of times and see a lot of the world. You begin taking it for granted until you come back from a trip somewhere else . There aren't many other places like Naples to call home.

Requirements:
- lots of outdoor activities
Unlimited outdoor activities being in SW Florida. From beaches, fishing, back water bays to nature trails, to recreational sports year round for adults and children. Summer camps that actually participate in outdoor activities. Home to the most golf courses in the country after Myrtle Beach. Hiking, everglades, camping, hunting, out door volunteer activities, sea turtle conservation etc. Art shows, music festivals, summer entertainment, county fairs. Even most of the shopping is in outdoor open air developments.

- reasonably progressive area
Becoming more progressive with each passing year. I was born there, I've seen the changes. An ever expanding population from varying walks of life, including international residents and the population is slowly becoming more youthful. Still considered a retirement haven but that in my mind isn't a negative.

- relatively low state taxes
No state income tax. Collier County where Naples is located, I believe is still in the top three lowest real estate tax rates in the state. 6% Sales tax

- near a good international airport
20mins from RSW, 1 - 1.5hr to FLL & MIA airports, 2hrs to TPA

- not a brutally cold climate in winter
6 days a year the temp gets to around 40 degrees
30 days a year temp gets to around 50 degrees

- great schools, either public or private
Collier County Public schools consistently rated some of the top in the state. Barron Collier
Additionally, about 30 private school options in varying price ranges
Community School of Naples

- real estate prices not an issue as we are selling in Manhattan
Real estate is relatively expensive, but coming from Manhattan shouldn't be too much of a shock. Depending on the area of town you're looking at $300k for a 2/2 townhouse, to $500-$4mil for single family that is in an area I would consider ideal (newer construction, planned development, gated, landscaped, clubhouse, amenities), and $4m-$65mil for direct beach front single family.

Livability, quality of life, cost of living are all bonuses. Active lifestyles in part because of the weather that attracts you outdoors.

Restaurants, beaches, shopping, entertainment, drastic change from Manhattan lifestyle but that is why most people make the transition.

Very affluent area plays host to some of the most successful charity/auction events of the year that are relatively low key. The area is a bit ritzy, but not flashy. Most people moving here prefer discretion over attention, which makes us much different than say a city like Miami - which I saw listed in the thread a page back or so.

http://www.10best.com/destinations/f...tions/beaches/
Just my 2cents, hope it's helpful

Last edited by l3arefoot; May 24, 2015 at 10:16 am
Old May 30, 2015, 11:34 am

Los Alamos NM https://www.hcn.org/blogs/goat/nucle...-place-to-live
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:20 pm

Pennsylvania has a flat income tax rate of ~3% and though not tropical many areas near the Maryland line are substantially warmer than NY. And it is not that far from NY if you have attachments. Some good private schools like Malvern Prep in Chester Co. Plus lot of good quaker schools.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:36 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by wanderlustoz
I'd move to Los Alamos in a heartbeat.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
My wife and I have debated whether to stay in NY area (currently in Manhattan at the moment), largely because a) the cost of living is stupendous, and b) it's extremely competitive for kids to get into school later on in life, given the geography. The issue is that we are both in finance, with my job (on a trading floor) being more tied to being in NY than anything else. She's more on the corporate finance side and thus able to lateral to something else a bit more easily.

Anyone have thoughts on a better non-NYC city to live in? My choices would be Seattle or Denver. I'm not big on SF as a city to live in, given that CoL is just as bad, if not worse, and I have zero desire to navigate traffic in LA.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
My wife and I have debated whether to stay in NY area (currently in Manhattan at the moment), largely because a) the cost of living is stupendous, and b) it's extremely competitive for kids to get into school later on in life, given the geography. The issue is that we are both in finance, with my job (on a trading floor) being more tied to being in NY than anything else. She's more on the corporate finance side and thus able to lateral to something else a bit more easily.

Anyone have thoughts on a better non-NYC city to live in? My choices would be Seattle or Denver. I'm not big on SF as a city to live in, given that CoL is just as bad, if not worse, and I have zero desire to navigate traffic in LA.
http://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/...city-post.html

As the link to Goldman Sachs' website notes, SLC is where they have their 2nd largest operarations.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

I'd vote for Seattle -- we have Russell on the high-finance side and a bunch of Fortune 50 companies headquartered here that are constantly hiring in corporate finance (Starbucks, Amazon, Microsoft, Costco, Boeing, T-Mobile, etc.)

The private schools are pretty good, although there's definitely a supply-demand imbalance at the top. East of Lake Washington, there are a couple of IB-tracked public schools that are some of the best in the nation.

Summers here are amazing, and last winter, the temperature didn't dip below about 40 in the city. If you get snow, it's like 2-3 days per winter. Proximity to Vancouver, Victoria, Portland, and the San Juan Islands is nice. People who grew up locally think the traffic sucks, but if you're from NYC or LA, you'll learn to navigate around it and won't really think much of it.

No state income tax, but sales tax is around 10% .

Feel free to PM if you want to know more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.