Driving question - Chicagoland to Orange County, CA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving question - Chicagoland to Orange County, CA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
IMO, the only thing worth seeing/doing in Amarillo is a visit to The Big Texan.

If you eat some enormous steak, potato, salad, etc, in a specific timeframe...it is free. Otherwise, you have to pay for it.

Even if you're not gorging yourself, it is sometimes fun to watch. While the prices aren't cheap, they're not extreme.

I've driven PHX-Pennsylvania (or the other way around) several times, and always stopped for lunch, makes a good spot between Albuquerque and Oklahoma City.
I've found that service and the quality of the steaks at the Big Texan is highly inconsistent. If they are busy, the good and service will uniformly be horrible. If they are dead, the food and service will be great.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
why do you have to take 40? Why not the 10?
No need to drop down to phx
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I've made the drive many times since I was 18, and can tell you that the north route is FAR superior to the south route. The route through CO and Utah is incredibly beautiful, and if you're only doing a few hundred miles a day you can really enjoy it. From Denver to Las Vegas is worth 2 or 3 days alone, and this time of year is even better.

Hand-to-God, you will regret going south instead of north. Iowa and Nebraska can be boring, but after that the drive is awesome. DO NOT miss it.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Why is this thread going on here when the OP started one on the exact same topic which is being addressed in a dif forum (USA forum and is linked above) and has 30 replies? Did he not like those answers? I thought dupe threads was a no-no on FT.

Cheers
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Since your traveling that way, my only suggestions along the way would be..

Just was in AMA last week. Pretty women, great Q at Rudy's and nice bar and eclectic menu (for Texas) at the public house.

For me and I'm not a nature buff, (except when it comes to beaches) but after you hit flagstaff, if you've never seen the giant hole in the ground.... It's a site to be seen IMO.
Also diablo burger is a great place to grab a bite in flagstaff.

Was just in STL, nice place called broadway oyster bar right near bush stadium was a solid place to eat if you like Cajun / seafood. The hill is overrated for italian as it doesn't compare with Chicago where you're living currently.

But I agree with blowing past AMA as not much to do there. BUT I think you swing down to Roswell instead of ABQ and check out Area 51. I have a fellow trader who moved there and he says no aliens! Let me know if he's telling the truth if you get there..

Last edited by Ceres; Sep 3, 2014 at 8:24 pm Reason: Siri's hearing impaired
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:32 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Plus he wouldn't have to worry about her ruining the carpet, the couch, his bed if its a hotel
Ay caramba! What happens in the match.com thread STAYS in the match.com thread! Or, rather, it SHOULD stay there.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
The OP started a thread on this subject in two places on FT. For simplicity, I have merged the posts.

Board rules discourage cross-posting.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by flyinbob
I've made the drive many times since I was 18, and can tell you that the north route is FAR superior to the south route. The route through CO and Utah is incredibly beautiful, and if you're only doing a few hundred miles a day you can really enjoy it. From Denver to Las Vegas is worth 2 or 3 days alone, and this time of year is even better.

Hand-to-God, you will regret going south instead of north. Iowa and Nebraska can be boring, but after that the drive is awesome. DO NOT miss it.
+1
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Why is this thread going on here when the OP started one on the exact same topic which is being addressed in a dif forum (USA forum and is linked above) and has 30 replies?
Originally Posted by Moderator2
The OP started a thread on this subject in two places on FT.
IIRC, OP started two threads on 2 different dates for the same subject, then both threads got "relocated" from OMNI to USA Forum eventually.

Originally Posted by Moderator2
For simplicity, I have merged the posts.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.