Reload this Page >

Exchanging foreign currency to USD in the US

Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:39 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver

I went to Chase today to exchange some USD to THB, JPY, CNY, and EUR for my upcoming trip. I learned that exchanging USD to foreign currency is at the bank rate (which is slightly worse than the actual forex rate), however, if I want to exchange the leftover currency back to USD, it will be at an even lower/worse rate. Does anyone know what the best way to go about exchanging foreign currency back to USD is?

Last edited by TOMFORD; Jun 21, 2014 at 11:45 am
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

You can always get the currency of the country you are visiting at a ATM in that country for a much better rate than at your local bank.

As far as exchanging back to US dollars we try to never have a lot of foreign currency and use CCs almost exclusively.

Just another option to use
Old Jun 21, 2014, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Yes

Use an ATM--my bank does not charge to use foreign ones--them charge most other things on a card--AmEx has several--that does not charge a foreign transaction fee.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:39 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by agp423
Does anyone know what the best way to go about exchanging foreign currency back to USD is?
When checking out of the last hotel for each country, use the remaining currency of that country to pay off your hotel bill (and put the rest to your credit card). Make sure to leave enough for the taxi trip to the airport.

Example: I am in Bangkok and it is my last stop in that country. When I check out of the hotel, I hand over most of my THB at check out and ask them to post it against my room charges/incidentals.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:16 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Good point, but all my hotels are paid for or booked with points. I will do this next time though.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Doesn't work everywhere but in some countries you can put the local currency onto a Starbucks card which you can use back home. Small amounts can be donated to the many charities that collect at airports or on the plane.

Or if you are going again (or might) hang on to it. I have a tin at home with currency I regularly use (and some which I might go back to).
Old Jun 22, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: AA
Starbucks cards are a good idea if you actually use them. Just be careful. Per the site:

Starbucks Cards issued in Greece, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Portugal, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand and Turkey may only be used in the country from which they are issued.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:38 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I very very rarely get Starbucks, only when I'm interviewing outside of the company, but that is what I used to do with CNY I have left over from trips to China.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I never exchange any money outside the country I'm going to. If it's a country I go to often, I hold onto the money for the next trip. I have 20+ currencies in my money wallet.

Don't always spend all the cash you have, as some countries have airport fees that have to be paid in cash. You'll be running off to exchange some more money, if you do this.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Or ask around with co-workers or friends. Surely someone will buy it from you at the actual forex rate.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:44 am
Suspended

Yup, use an ATM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.