Wiki Posts
Search

Vacation Suggestion in the USA / nearby for Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum - I couldn't find a 'generic' area in the Destinations section.

I am looking for a place to go for vacation in mid December (before Christmas). The main goal of this trip is to run away from the cold weather of the atlantic northeast for about 2 or 3 days. I will be travelling alone.

I was hoping for a place with daily highs above 65 degrees, a beach (but not necessary) and not too many crowds. Within a 5 hour flight would also be nice but not necessary. I don't really care if there is much to do or not, I basically want to enjoy the weather and walk around.

The kicker is the budget - I was hoping to spend a maximum of $400 on flights (I have a wad of air miles in *A and OW programs but cannot really find seats to anywhere during this period.)

The main contenders are San Diego, Miami and the Bahamas. San Diego seems like a top choice but I am not sure how the weather will be. Hotels are also very reasonable which is great, but I am wondering why they are so reasonable.

Miami looks perfect weather-wise but I have this image of a crowded, 'wild,' bustling city which is not what I want. The Bahamas also look amazing but it would be a real stretch on my budget.

San Juan and most of the Caribbean had to be ruled out because of the budget.

Are there any other places with similar weather that I have not considered?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by sadiqhassan; Nov 20, 2013 at 8:02 am Reason: Correction
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k

I've spent the last two Christmas holidays in Orlando. 2011, I was wandering around Busch Gardens in Tampa on Christmas Day, and the temperature was knocking 80. Last year was a fair bit cooler, but still in the 60's.

Another option would be fly to MIA or FLL and drive down onto the Keys.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:13 am

Programs: Le Club Accor: Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott/SPG: Gold, AMEX Platinum
There's a few places in the Caribbean you could get to on your budget.

http://www.kayak.com/explore/

Plug in your home airport on the left and the time you plan on traveling. you can even limit it to flights within 5 hours.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 1:49 am

Programs: UA Platinum

I think the weather in San Diego will be too cold. (I'm in LA and would never consider San Diego in December for a beach vacation.) You might consider Puerta Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, or Hawaii.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:07 am

Programs: Le Club Accor: Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott/SPG: Gold, AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by TH310
I think the weather in San Diego will be too cold. (I'm in LA and would never consider San Diego in December for a beach vacation.) You might consider Puerta Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, or Hawaii.
Those were my thought first off when I read OPs post cause he says "Pacific Northeast" and I automatically thought he was in pacific northwest.. but being as he is in NYC (not sure where pacific comes in to that) those would be outside of his 5 hour flight time preference
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:14 am

Vidrineb-thanks for the clarification. I'm on the mobile app and cannot see where OP is. I assumed Pacific northeast was the northeast Pacific Ocean area.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Apologies guys - I wrote Pacific instead of Atlantic!

The SAN flight is 6h from JFK which is a bit on the long side, and it seems Florida is a better choice anyway?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If you definitely want warm in December then anywhere in the Caribbean is your best bet.

I've been in both Florida and the Bahamas when December cold fronts came through and let's just say I wished I was somewhere else.

If the goal is just to get away and relax and hopefully get warmth but not necessarily, then Florida is a good option.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: Independent
If you are just looking for beach, I would go with Florida. Instead of MIA, try Fort Lauderdale or West Palm Beach. Ft Lauderdale has a nice water taxi if you just want to ride around and look at really large boats. I find California gets a little colder than you think it would be.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 9:18 am

You might be able to get a good deal into Cancun. Possibly an all inclusive if you like that kind of place. Parts of Cancun can be nice and I've heard isla mujeres (sp?) an island nearby is beautiful. I just saw EWR-CUN for $421 Dec 2 thru Dec 5 on Kayak (jet blue)
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Fly into Miami. Spend the day and night in Coconut Grove. Drive to Key West. Spend a few days there. Get out on the water! Fly home from Key West.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 10:49 am

Puerto Rico

Warmer than Florida that time of the year, agree with other comments that South Florida and the Bahamas can be hit or miss in December.

Easy to get to from NYC, tons of nonstops and usually well priced.

Still USA so no immigration or currency issues which can be a pain for such a short trip.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might be able to get a good deal into Cancun. Possibly an all inclusive if you like that kind of place. Parts of Cancun can be nice and I've heard isla mujeres (sp?) an island nearby is beautiful. I just saw EWR-CUN for $421 Dec 2 thru Dec 5 on Kayak (jet blue)
I don't get the hype about Isla Mujeres. It's fine, isn't offensive, but certainly isn't making any of my 'most beautiful' type lists. I went earlier this year, and thought the main part of town (where most people stay) was full of tourist tat, with dozens of restuarants that are there purely to cater to the tourists (at prices to match) - it's about as "authentic" as the plastic souveniers with "made in china" stamped on them. Further out from town is nicer, but there isn't a lot there - there is a cute turtle sanctuary, some snorkelling (not fantastic, but decent), and a few restaurants, and a park-type attraction. You can probably see all you would want to see in a day trip from the main land, if you wished.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Isla Mujeres is perfection. Cheap flight to CUN, then run away from Cancun proper as quickly as you can. 2-3 days on Isla is my vote. Technically not in the USA, but cheaper, easier, and better weather/beaches than most of the USA in December.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
South Padre Island? In US, pretty quiet that time of year, but a bit of a drive from any airport.

Las Vegas? Quiet that time of year, no beach but if you book the right hotel, who cares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.