Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Why is flying out of America more expensive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Not sure where to post this...

I have a quick and simple question. Does anyone know how a roundtrip from AMS-LAX can be $1200 and a roundtrip from LAX-AMS (using the exact same dates) $1700?

I for once would love to know how this works since it doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks guys!
Old May 23, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Do those fares include all the taxes?
Old May 23, 2013, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Yep, used the same airline for both searches.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Happens all the time. One or both routes of one trip are more popular than one or both of the other trip.

Flying from YWG > MIA on a Friday in January has very different demand than MIA > YWG. Same thing on a Sunday coming back.

That changes the price a great deal.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:40 am

Americans are willing to pay more. Same reason hidden city tickets exist.

Look up reverse direction fares if you're interested. But it pretty just comes down to what people are willing to pay.
Old May 23, 2013, 7:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Kevin86
Does anyone know how a roundtrip from AMS-LAX can be $1200 and a roundtrip from LAX-AMS (using the exact same dates) $1700?
They will charge whatever they find people are willing to pay. People leaving the United States are willing to pay 50% or more in some cases over the rate that people flying the other way are.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:02 am
Original Poster

@Jerry, I have been consistently checking prices for the last 5 years and it is always more expensive to fly out of America.

I think the other guys are really accurate. I have experience living on both continents and Americans do spend a lot more money than Europeans.

I use exact the same argument for why the app Whatsapp is so popular in Europe an not in the States. Americans don't care about saving $10 off their monthly cell phone bill, while Europeans are happy with 5 or 10 Euro's off their bill.

So interesting how people everywhere are so different!
Old May 23, 2013, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think it's a function of how each airline market operates based on its local competition, not so much a general statement that "Americans don't care about saving money". The usual complaint here is that they care too much, always buying the cheapest possible tickets without being fully informed or concerned about the amenities, service, and additional fees involved.

Mobile phone markets are also vastly different between the U.S. and Europe. Our mobile carriers in the U.S. have a tighter relationship with Congress than EU carriers do with their legislators. Consequently, we pay some of the highest rates in the world for mobile service. It's not because consumers are unskilled at shopping for mobile plans.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:19 am

Is it really a USA vs international thing? I know for Thanksgiving last year JFK>MIA was 3 times as expensive as a flight from MIA>JFK on the same airlines at roughly the same time as day. I think a lot of it just has to do with the demand of where people want to go.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MileHawk
Is it really a USA vs international thing? I know for Thanksgiving last year JFK>MIA was 3 times as expensive as a flight from MIA>JFK on the same airlines at roughly the same time as day. I think a lot of it just has to do with the demand of where people want to go.
Bingo.

More people want to head to N. Europe during the peak summer travel months, or to Florida in November, than the reverse.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What are winter fares from Europe to the U.S. like? I have bought at least a dozen extremely cheap TATL's out of ORD in the dead of winter over the years. Plus another four or five cheap ones out of STL when there was still a sizable TW operation there.

It's almost impossible for them to have been cheaper coming the other way. They were rock-rock-bottom and sometimes included route bonuses.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
Bingo.

More people want to head to N. Europe during the peak summer travel months, or to Florida in November, than the reverse.
This theory doesn't apply to my question though. No matter if you fly LAX-AMS as part 1 of your trip or as part 2, it is still the same flight
Old May 23, 2013, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MileHawk
Supply and demand should not be relevant since we are using the exact same flights. Let's say there is a way higher demand for people flying from America to Europe, that would make that part of the trip a lot more expensive than your trip back to America. However, if I'm flying from Europe to America (the cheaper part of my trip), I at one point have to get back during the time when there is the same high demand and same high price, at least the same price is what you expect, but it is not. I still don't understand why. Not sure if I am missing something, but any argument besides Americans are willing to pay more doesn't make sense to me since you fly on exactly the same airplanes, on the same day.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:07 am

This theory doesn't apply to my question though. No matter if you fly LAX-AMS as part 1 of your trip or as part 2, it is still the same flight
What are your dates of travel though? That can matter greatly. People have to make return trips, so demand will flip direction. For my example, the NYC>MIA leg is more expensive on Wednesday before Thanksgiving than it is the Sunday following, because at that point, the demand has flipped to the MIA>NYC route.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:27 am
Suspended

Not sure where to post this...

I have a quick and simple question. Does anyone know how a roundtrip from AMS-LAX can be $1200 and a roundtrip from LAX-AMS (using the exact same dates) $1700?

I for once would love to know how this works since it doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks guys!
See if you get the lower price by changing the ticketing city to AMS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.