Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Does poor in-flight sevice cause you to avoid USA airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does poor in-flight sevice cause you to avoid USA airlines?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by iahphx
Um, not sure what your problem is, but Asian people are smaller than Western people. About 4 or 5 inches shorter on average, according to common scientific knowledge.

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman...ht-chart.shtml

That's kind of a big deal in terms of comfort on airplanes, no? I mean, if you were running an Asian airline, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that your pax would need less legroom than, say, a Dutch airline (generally regarded as the tallest people in the world)?

And I don't want to get into the "weight advantage" that Americans unfortunately have over the rest of the world.
I would be surprised if the average height of Asian passengers on any of the major airlines, Asian or not, is as low as the average height of persons in the region.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The security paranoia of US airlines does result in my having a tendency to book away from US airlines as much as makes sense for my circumstances. When flying from overseas to the US on US airlines, the dog and pony show is worse than with various other airlines..
I actually have never encountered much "security paranoia" among US airlines -- except perhaps what is mandated by the DOT. And it's trivial stuff, like having see-through curtains between the cabins.

Rather, the "paranoia" is on the ground, and it's mandated for all flights to the USA. So it doesn't really matter which carrier you choose to get from point A to B (assuming point B is in the USA, and point A is not); you're basically going to get the same security.

And, of course, this can be different overseas from the USA. Leaving China for the USA, for example, I recently saw the USA liquids rule "enforced" at the gate of a UA flight by Chinese security agents asking pax to hand over any over-sized liquids they had as they boarded. You can probably guess how many folks reached into their bags to give up their illicit water bottles and oversized toiletry items.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
For coach, has anyone recently compared legroom between the USA carriers and the foreign airlines? It didn't seem to me that Economy Plus on UA was materially better than ordinary economy on most foreign airlines -- even the Asian ones, where you'd think they might give you less room because the average pax would be a little smaller.
Recent experiences on ANA and JAL for domestic flights within Japan I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the aircrafts, the seating and the legroom ... Forget which one but the spacing between rows was better as compared to US and Euro mainstream airlines. Vueling Airlines on the other hand in Europe was tight tight tight as far as row spacing goes.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I actually have never encountered much "security paranoia" among US airlines -- except perhaps what is mandated by the DOT. And it's trivial stuff, like having see-through curtains between the cabins.

Rather, the "paranoia" is on the ground, and it's mandated for all flights to the USA. So it doesn't really matter which carrier you choose to get from point A to B (assuming point B is in the USA, and point A is not); you're basically going to get the same security.

And, of course, this can be different overseas from the USA. Leaving China for the USA, for example, I recently saw the USA liquids rule "enforced" at the gate of a UA flight by Chinese security agents asking pax to hand over any over-sized liquids they had as they boarded. You can probably guess how many folks reached into their bags to give up their illicit water bottles and oversized toiletry items.
The second sentence in your second paragraph above is incorrect, as anyone who flies European carriers from Europe to the US from airports on the continental mainland that also have service on US carriers should know if flying on both kinds of carriers from such airports to the US. More check-in "security" dog and pony show and more gate area dog and pony show too. In-flight also more "security" dog and pony show with the seatbelt sign control of passengers.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Um, not sure what your problem is, but Asian people are smaller than Western people. About 4 or 5 inches shorter on average, according to common scientific knowledge.

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman...ht-chart.shtml

That's kind of a big deal in terms of comfort on airplanes, no? I mean, if you were running an Asian airline, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that your pax would need less legroom than, say, a Dutch airline (generally regarded as the tallest people in the world)?

And I don't want to get into the "weight advantage" that Americans unfortunately have over the rest of the world.
It really really really wasn't a dig at you. Promise. My main issue was the use of a population-based statistic (or reference to). These are my pet hate because a statistic from a population almost never tells you anything about an individual. Try telling Yao Ming that he's 5 inches shorter than the global average. "No, really Mr Ming, the statistics are well known. You're 5'4"..."!

If you want a more serious example, my father-in-law was put on statins recently on the basis of his cholesterol alone - no ultrasound on his heart, no CT of his arteries - because statistics show that men of his age with that cholesterol level have a 25% increased risk of heart disease. Just barking mad if you ask me. You can't fit an individual into population average.

Anyway, the higher quality Far Eastern airlines have had the good sense to offer more legroom so as to attract travellers from around the world who are willing to pay more money for bigger seats, better food and FA's who give a monkey's. There's still plenty of Air China's and Malaysian Airways's who don't offer all of the above yet still seem to be a nicer experience than the majority of US legacy carriers though...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The second sentence in your second paragraph above is incorrect, as anyone who flies European carriers from Europe to the US from airports on the continental mainland that also have service on US carriers should know if flying on both kinds of carriers from such airports to the US. More check-in "security" dog and pony show and more gate area dog and pony show too. In-flight also more "security" dog and pony show with the seatbelt sign control of passengers.
Not sure of the very latest trends, but among other 2012 experiences I can recall separate terminals/wings devoted to USA flights at FRA and MAD. I had to go through these extra security steps flying Lufthansa and Iberia. I seem to remember getting the silly "who packed your bags, where has your luggage been" questions from them at the ticket counter, too -- something I can sometimes avoid checking-in online with USA carriers.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not sure of the latest trends, but among other 2012 experiences I can recall separate terminals/wings devoted to USA flights at FRA and MAD. I had to go through these extra security steps flying Lufthansa and Iberia. I seem to remember getting the silly "who packed your bags" questions from them at the ticket counter, too -- something I can sometimes avoid checking-in online with USA carriers.

BTW, I gasped at the presence of a nude-o-mater at the BKK airport (not specific to USA flights), but it wasn't in use.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
When booking F or C/J, then sure, I avoid US carriers.
OTOH, when booking Y, I go for the US carriers so that I can upgrade to C/J.
I'm sure many do the same thing.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
Originally Posted by kkjay77
When booking F or C/J, then sure, I avoid US carriers.
OTOH, when booking Y, I go for the US carriers so that I can upgrade to C/J.
I'm sure many do the same thing.
^^^ Agree in general for INTL trips
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Short answer - yes.

Long answer - yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Not so much service. Connections. I usually fly ZRH-SEA, and if I have to connect in Chicago or on the East Coast, it's a deal breaker. That pretty much leaves me the option of taking the European carriers.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So it seems like at least half the Flyertalker community "books away" from USA carriers on int'l flights because they don't like the in-flight service.

If that's the case, wouldn't it make some sense for these carriers to try to IMPROVE that service? Not sure what you can do about inferior cabin crews -- seems like a tricky proposition to improve morale (or at least the appearance of morale). Maybe you could encourage pax to give feedback on their experience with their flight attendants, and raffle off cars and other prizes to high scoring attendants (kind of what Gordon Bethune did to improve attendance when he was CEO of CO).

Installing new entertainment systems/buying new planes is also difficult. But what about spending 5 bucks more per pax on in-flight ammenities, like better food/drink? I would think those 5 bucks might make a signficant difference in quality perception.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
considering I live in the USA, no.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
The only international flights I've taken recently were KLM Business Class - SFO to AMS - and Alitalia coach - FCO to LAX. I was not impressed with either one, either in terms of comfort or service. If US carriers are worse, I think I'll stay home.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
But what about spending 5 bucks more per pax on in-flight ammenities, like better food/drink? I would think those 5 bucks might make a signficant difference in quality perception.
Remember when AA removed one olive in F salad to save money?
They can't spend extra $5 for the food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.