I Don't NEED a Passport - I'm American!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Don't NEED a Passport - I'm American!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Helsinki Flyer
This and forgetting passports at home is why we still have a police office, that issues passports on the spot at HEL airport. They´re expensive, but I know many people use the service.

And you´d be surprised how many people think that crossing over to neighbouring Estonia you don´t need a passport, because it´s not checked within Schengen-area. It´s not regularily checked, but you still indeed need a valid passport.
Well, Schengen zone rules state that within the European Union, identity cards meeting the official EU standard may also be used by a European citizen as a travel document in place of a passport.

ID cards (carte d'identité in French, identiteitskaart in Dutch and Personalausweis in German etc.) are ussued by most European countries (Denmark and the UK being the exception).
I am a bit surprised by your claim of a passport being required when you travel to Estonia ( Finnish ID henkilökortti/identitetskort
would do ).
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by abeyro
Well, Schengen zone rules state that within the European Union, identity cards meeting the official EU standard may also be used by a European citizen as a travel document in place of a passport.

ID cards (carte d'identité in French, identiteitskaart in Dutch and Personalausweis in German etc.) are ussued by most European countries (Denmark and the UK being the exception).
I am a bit surprised by your claim of a passport being required when you travel to Estonia ( Finnish ID henkilökortti/identitetskort
would do ).
The point is that you can get passport at the airport after being "stupidity surcharge" if you forget that Kiwiland isn't in Europe...
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The fact is that if you are uncertain about how to travel, there are guided all-inclusive tours which cater to exactly this market. I would never go near such a tour, but there are people who are overwhelmed by passports, seat selection, hotel terms, which side of the road one drives on, foreign languages and the like.

The only really good part of this anecdote is that the front line CSR shunted the kettles off to a supervisor and kept the line moving.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:44 am

I thought if you are flying internationally from the US, you must provide a passport number when you are purchasing your tickets. This information is forwarded to the TSA and the names are vetted before the flight ever leaves the US.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by wrp96
Sometimes it would be great if we could just slap our fellow travelers upside the head.
Why do I think that if the OP had slapped these guys upside the head, the CSR would have claimed to have not seen anything?

Mike
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joethekay
I thought if you are flying internationally from the US, you must provide a passport number when you are purchasing your tickets. This information is forwarded to the TSA and the names are vetted before the flight ever leaves the US.
At check in, not purchase.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
At check in, not purchase.
...and the information is not forwarded to the TSA per se. It's compared against no-fly lists. It's also forwarded to USA CBP, as well as the immigration services for the country to which you're travelling.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
OP Here..... the couple were older and did say something about they didn't need one to go to Mexico so I think that they really just didn't know. They had obviously been looking forward to traveling and were flustered and upset but still they should have done some research beforehand.

I just don't understand how they got all the way to check in without realizing they needed a passport!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by NC_Girl
OP Here..... the couple were older and did say something about they didn't need one to go to Mexico so I think that they really just didn't know. They had obviously been looking forward to traveling and were flustered and upset but still they should have done some research beforehand.

I just don't understand how they got all the way to check in without realizing they needed a passport!
Don't all ticket confirmations these days include standard language about how you need a passport? I just pulled one of my currently pending Expedia itineraries, and I see this language:

Proof of citizenship is required for international travel. When children are traveling, additional documentation may also be necessary. It is your responsibility to meet entry requirements for the countries you are traveling to and connecting through.

Upon clicking the link at "Proof of citizenship", I get this:

Most countries require a valid passport, though some require only a certified birth certificate and photo ID. Some countries also require visas.

I would expect all other agencies/airlines have similar disclaimers, precisely to avoid being held responsible for this exact problem.

It's an unfortunate situation, but clearly the fault lies with them. Hopefully they'll be able to reschedule the trip.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:11 am

Do you need a passport if you are travelling between two countries that you are citizen of? For example, could a US citizen travel to the UK without passport if he is also a UK citizen? Technically none of the two countries could deny that person entry...
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Don't all ticket confirmations these days include standard language about how you need a passport?
They probably do, but who reads the fine print? I bought award tickets a few months ago from the US to the UK, there might have been something about passport, but I don't remember it being highlighted in flashing red or anything. Of course, I am fully aware of the requirement, so no problem here, but I could see how people could miss it. In any case, it is their responsibility to know the requirements.

Originally Posted by vaillancourt
Do you need a passport if you are travelling between two countries that you are citizen of? For example, could a US citizen travel to the UK without passport if he is also a UK citizen? Technically none of the two countries could deny that person entry...
You are right that the country(ies) you are a citizen of would need to let you back in, but proving that without a passport could be time consuming, potentially including hours or even days locked in a little room.

From a practical point, I don't think any airline will let you board an international flight without showing the passport, so unless you sail your ownl boat or fly your own plane, it's mostly a theoretical question.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Don't all ticket confirmations these days include standard language about how you need a passport? I just pulled one of my currently pending Expedia itineraries, and I see this language:

Proof of citizenship is required for international travel. When children are traveling, additional documentation may also be necessary. It is your responsibility to meet entry requirements for the countries you are traveling to and connecting through.

Upon clicking the link at "Proof of citizenship", I get this:

Most countries require a valid passport, though some require only a certified birth certificate and photo ID. Some countries also require visas.

I would expect all other agencies/airlines have similar disclaimers, precisely to avoid being held responsible for this exact problem.

It's an unfortunate situation, but clearly the fault lies with them. Hopefully they'll be able to reschedule the trip.
I bet most people don't even click on the link to find out what proof of citizenship means. They assume that their drivers license will suffice, and that the airline wouldn't take their money and/or will make sure that they have everything they need in order to travel.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:01 pm

Actually I would think it happens quite often. Ages ago when everyone bought international flight ticket from a real person (travel agent), the agent will make sure you know that you need passport or visa for the country you are going to visit. Now everyone could just click and buy ticket online. I bought tickets last year to Moscow and Hong Kong and I don't remember there were any pop up windows or reminder message telling you about passport or visa. If there were any, they were probably hiding in a corner of the page while majority of the page were taken up by GET HOTEL AND RENTAL CARS FOR BIG DISCOUNT NOW!

I can totally see people who only have been to Canada and/or Mexico years ago thinking that American could go anywhere with just driver license!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC (Silver)
Originally Posted by Need
I don't remember there were any pop up windows or reminder message telling you about passport or visa.
And in order to correctly pop those windows up, the software would need to know the customer's citizenship(s) - at least.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 1:53 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by abeyro

would do ).
Official identity card (not driver's license!) is enough for Schengen area member countries' citizens (or was it residents?) to travel to other Schengen countries. US citizen traveling from Finland to Estonia would still need to carry his/her passport, even though the probability of anyone checking is low.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.