Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I Don't NEED a Passport - I'm American!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Daawgon
Nothing, absolutely nothing, surprises me about my fellow Americans, and it's really so very sad.
I am amazed that anyone can grow up beyond their teens and not know that generally, you need a passport to travel abroad and a visa to enter another country. If you don't need it, it's an exception and does not apply to travelling to any other country in general. I am sure they have heard of illegal immigrants. Do they not think about what makes a person illegal or how does one enter the U.S. legally.
I knew about passport and visa before I hit 12. What I did not understand was "exit visa".
Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:59 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Is there no "emergency passport" station at the major US airports? In Switzerland and Germany (Sorry, no other experience) the Kantonspolizei / Bundespolizei (Police station) do have a special "Notpassbüro" (Emergency passport office) in the airports where they can produce you a new emergency passport. It's not cheap (About 160$) and only valid for 1 year, so I'm sure they're actually making some money with it, kind of a win-win situation (You may be able to fly, the state gets some money)
As Norway does not have a national identity card, the only Norwegian document valid for travelling abroad is a passport, so a passport is supposed to be carried even when travelling within the Schengen area (Norway is not in the EU, but in Schengen). This is rarely enforced, but some airlines might enforce it. Citizens of Schengen countries with national identity card schemes might use their national identity cards to travel to Norway. The only exception to the "only-passport"-rule for Norwegians is the other Nordic countries, as the Nordic Passport treaty is still in force, superseding the Schengen treaty.

The need for emergency passports is quite large in Norway. The local police is the issuer of all passports in Norway, so it is usually possible to get an emergency passport at the airport, but costing the same as an ordinary passport (around USD 100), and only valid for one journey. The snag is that it is hand-written, without biometric data, thus NOT valid for travel to the US:
Old Oct 15, 2012, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cbn42
That is not really a "right". It is based on some law passed by the Swedish or European parliament, which could be repealed at any time.

A "right" is something that cannot be taken away. If it is enshrined in a constitution or charter, I would call it a right. If it is simply due to an act of a legislature, then it is a privilege that the country can revoke by changing the law.
Really? rights can be taken away without even changing the constitution from which those rights derive.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Deleted
Old Oct 15, 2012, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It depends upon the country and the circumstances applicable to the foreigner. A lot of countries -- including at least most (if not all) of the OECD countries -- have ways to regularize and/or admit people who present themselves at a port of entry even when the foreigers are without a passport but have a claim to some sort of right to entry. Issues around establishing identity do exist and resolving those takes different approaches. But having a passport -- even from the US and/or Canada -- is not always taken as proof of identity for all purposes in a foreign country. [This kind of situation gives rise to relative absurdities, including some situations of a foreign passport valid for entry not being accepted by itself as proof of identity in some other contexts of dealing with the very same host country government even as it is accepted as such by the same government in other contexts.] Having a passport, however, more often than not, facilitates matters more than it hinders matters. A sort of big exception to that is people with a claim to asylum/refugee status.
A Canadian passport is not always taken as a proof of identity at a U.S. POE, when the person might not even wish to enter the U.S. for anything other than transit to Canada.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
how were they allowed to book without passport info?
You don't have to provide passport info at booking- just at check-in. If someone booked a trip a year in advance, there's plenty of time for them to get a passport before the trip, so I'm guessing that's why airlines don't require that info to buy a ticket.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: AC Prestige, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I Don't NEED a Passport - I'm American!

I can think of one person who doesn't travel with a passport: Queen Elizabeth II. British passports (and Commonwealth realm passports) are issued in her name, so she doesn't issue one in her own name to herself.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gregomck23
I can think of one person who doesn't travel with a passport: Queen Elizabeth II. British passports (and Commonwealth realm passports) are issued in her name, so she doesn't issue one in her own name to herself.
What about when she travels outside the Commonwealth? I guess the broader question is whether traveling heads of state actually carry passports in general... (For some reason, I just assumed they'd possess diplomatic passports even if they didn't need to physically show them to anyone.)
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
What about when she travels outside the Commonwealth? I guess the broader question is whether traveling heads of state actually carry passports in general... (For some reason, I just assumed they'd possess diplomatic passports even if they didn't need to physically show them to anyone.)
I know for a fact the Prime Minister of Canada has a passport
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by gregomck23
In that light, does Secretary of State Hillary Clinton travel without an US Passport (for business or personal) as well? All US Passports are issued on behalf of the US Secretary of State:

Originally Posted by US Passport
The Secretary of State of the United States of America hereby requests all whom it may concern to permit the citizen/national of the United States named herein to pass without delay or hindrance and in case of need to give all lawful aid and protection.
So, if all US Passports are issued on behalf of the Secretary of State, the person sitting in that Cabinet position could therefore issue a passport to him/herself. As of today, that would mean Hillary issues her own US Passport.

Say if Bill and Hillary went to a personal skiing trip up to Whistler, I'm sure Bill uses his own passport, but what about Hillary?

And if Hillary is say, visiting Japan to hold meetings with her Japanese counterpart for US-Japan related diplomatic talks, how does she enter Japan?

Last edited by kebosabi; Oct 16, 2012 at 11:12 am
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
ADDED. There was a time when driving 50 miles into Mexico was permitted without a passport. I don't know whether this was for all USA citizens or just those who were native born.
The requirement for travel beyond the free zone isn't for a passport, it's for a tourist visa or FMT issued by the Mexican Government. (though, it's been a while, this might have changed)

In the 90's I flew to Mexico City several times with nothing but my DL and birth certificate and my FMT was issued when I arrived. I don't know if Mexico requires a passport now, I just use it because I'll need it coming home anyway.

You can still walk into Mexico with basically nothing, it's getting back that requires a passport or passport card.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
The US president for sure has a passport. The White House did a Q&A video a while back where they confirmed this and actually showed Obama's passport on camera.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by kebosabi
In that light, does Secretary of State Hillary Clinton travel without an US Passport (for business or personal) as well? All US Passports are issued on behalf of the US Secretary of State:

So, if all US Passports are issued on behalf of the Secretary of State, the person sitting in that Cabinet position could therefore issue a passport to him/herself. As of today, that would mean Hillary issues her own US Passport.

Say if Bill and Hillary went to a personal skiing trip up to Whistler, I'm sure Bill uses his own passport, but what about Hillary?

And if Hillary is say, visiting Japan to hold meetings with her Japanese counterpart for US-Japan related diplomatic talks, how does she enter Japan?
Condi may still have a personal passport issued by herself, but when she travels now, the "requests and requires" stuff is in the name of Hillary.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KenS
You can still walk into Mexico with basically nothing, it's getting back that requires a passport or passport card.
US citizens and some others can still return to the US via land without a passport/passport card and be admitted at a US port of entry. Processing of such people entitled to be in the US will ordinarily take longer than if with a passport/passport card, but such people still are to be admitted to the US without a passport/passport card and are routinely admitted to the US.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When it says the Secretary of State, it may still refer to the Office rather than to the person in the position.

When it comes to the British Queen

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Ro...passports.aspx

That doesn't mean she can and has never been issued a passport, it just means she ordinarily doesn't need one.

Originally Posted by pinniped
Many of them do. I have seen a variety of them for heads of state/government, elected or not.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 16, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.