Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

When Did US Carriers Eliminate Smoking on Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:55 am
In Memoriam, Original Member
Original Poster

I just read that smoking on USA based airlines (FAA) was not banned until the year 2000.

Just wondering , in what year did UA ban smoking during flight? This is just a question for myself, not a statement that smoking on planes is a good idea.

Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Mid - 90's??
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by auh2o
I just read that smoking on USA based airlines (FAA) was not banned until the year 2000.

Just wondering , in what year did UA ban smoking during flight? This is just a question for myself, not a statement that smoking on planes is a good idea.

Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry

Thanks.
It was definitely in the late 90's when it was banned worldwide on UA flights, however they banned it on domestic flights a few years prior to that. I can remember using the UA Connexion software around 96-97 and when you pulled up seat maps for flights to South America there were seats in the back of the plane marked for smoking. These were the last remaining flights that had smoking seats.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
7/1/97 according to this (not saying it's authoritative):
http://no-smoke.org/document.php?id=334
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
It was definitely in the late 90's when it was banned worldwide on UA flights, however they banned it on domestic flights a few years prior to that. I can remember using the UA Connexion software around 96-97 and when you pulled up seat maps for flights to South America there were seats in the back of the plane marked for smoking. These were the last remaining flights that had smoking seats.
Your timeline sounds correct, but: Are you sure it was South America?

IIRC, I think it was the Japan flights that were the last to allow smoking.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
your timeline sound correct, but: Are you sure it was South America?

IIRC, I think it was the Japan flights that were the last to allow smoking.
Definitely remember flights to Buenos Aires and Sao Paolo being among the last to go.. I don't remember for sure about NRT.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Northwest was the first major U.S. carrier to ban smoking on domestic flights, and that was in 1988. And there was much rejoicing...
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Northwest was the first major U.S. carrier to ban smoking on domestic flights, and that was in 1988. And there was much rejoicing...
Actually no, it was Delta who did it first... here's an old CNN article about it: http://articles.cnn.com/1998-03-26/t...s?_s=PM:TRAVEL
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:31 pm

The simple answer to your question, when did UA ban smoking?

Not soon enough!

I hate to recall how awful it was to fly back then. The idea that the front of the plane - let alone the crew - would not suffer from the smokers in the back of the plan amazes me to this day. I am not sure if we knew enough about the health risks of second hand smoke back then, but I can recall many times in row 1 feeling too close to the awful odor generated by those in the rear.

Last edited by Indelaware; Jul 23, 2012 at 1:53 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Indelaware
The simple answer to your question, when did UA ban smoking?

Not soon enough!

I hate to recall how awful it was to fly back then. They idea that the front of the plane - let alone the crew - would not suffer from the smokers in the back of the plan amazes me to this day. I am not sure if we knew enough about the health risks of second hand smoke back then, but I can recall many times in row 1 feeling too close to the awful odor generated by those in the rear.
There was also a smoking row in First Class (row 4 on the 727 as I recall)so the smoke was wafting from the front of the plane as well.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada

Thanks.
Wow, where have you been?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Actually no, it was Delta who did it first... here's an old CNN article about it: http://articles.cnn.com/1998-03-26/t...s?_s=PM:TRAVEL
I think that article may have been a victim of a CNN search-and-replace turning "Northwest" into "Delta."

New York Times article from March 24, 1988: "In a marketing gamble, Northwest Airlines said yesterday that it would ban smoking on all its North American flights. It is the only smoking ban by a major American airline. The rule would take effect on April 23, the same day as does a Federal law prohibiting smoking on domestic flights of two hours or less."
Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
This NYT article:
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/04/28/us...ing-curbs.html

Clears things up even further. Apparently, as of 4/23/88 smoking was banned on all flights of less than two hours. NW went further and extended it to all domestic flights not to HI.

Of course there are distinctions between domestic / worldwide bans, etc.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by jchiguy1
There was also a smoking row in First Class (row 4 on the 727 as I recall)so the smoke was wafting from the front of the plane as well.
I well remember as a teenager flying SAS, on the SEA-CPH route -- the B707 (3-3 seats per row in economy) was set up with smoking on the right side of the aisle, non-smoking on the left side of the aisle! Fortunately, on the flight that I was on, there were relatively few smokers, but still...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.