Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US trip: Please criticize

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
[QUOTE=obscure2k;18209300]Rodeo Drive is interesting, as you will be photographing tourists photographing tourists.
QUOTE]

LOL - I took my girls and wife there -so yes my girls, but my S-I-L was well amused with all the tourists. I tink he had watched Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman a few days before.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re backpacks - yes, certainly some places will not allow backpacks inside - MOMA for example. Some have bag checks, also like MOMA, but queuing to check and then get the bags back at each location could eat into your time and I have no idea if there is a charge (would only be a few dollars if there is tho) some allow small (think school bag) backpacks, but not bigger.

Plus, and I know this is a personal question, are you fit enough to carry a backpack all day? My shoulders ache after a few hours, and I'm generally not carrying around days worth of clothes etc.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

peersteve, I thought about flying to LAX, but I decided not to. When going on a train, I leave Flagstaff in the evening and arrive in Los Angeles in the morning. I plan to sleep on the train, so this way I get a ride and somewhere to sleep. I know it's not the best, but it's not like I'm doing this the whole trip. Also, there's little point of me flying in to Los Angeles late at night, as I'll just have to go to a hotel and sleep, so that's extra cost for hotel, plus flight cost a bit more than a train as well.

Interesting note on different rail station service. Yeah, in Europe every stations is usually like a big or small mall, it's weird. Thanks for this! Also thank you for a tip on FM radio - I didn't think of that. I hought I'll listen to my iPod, but radio sounds way more interesting!

Yeah, no need for baggage drop-off, however, I will still need a small backpack to carry my valuables and gadgets.

fredandgingermad, thanks! I will check out exhibitions online beforehand when I'll be getting close to my trip. That's probably a very smart thing to do. Do you think it's worth buying subway daily pass? Do I really need it? I assume I'll get on subway 2 times/day max.

oneworld82, unfortunately Philly is out now - people made me quit it. Sorry...

obscure2k, thanks for the tips! Highland - is that how the street is called? Are you sure about skipping Olvera Street? I mean, the schedule isn't as tight here, so I might as well check it out if there's something to see. I heard Disney Hall is impressive, or do you actually need to go inside for a show to appreciate it? As for Third Street Promenade, I think I'll be next to it at some point, so I might as well just walk past it and quickly check it out. Ok, Getty Center goes on "definitely to see" list.

Staples Center - do you know what else, except for the Lakers game if they get through, I should look out for? Because at the moment the schedule just shows some women basketball at the beginning of July and that's it. I'd love to get to a game in there, if the price is reasonable!

emma69, yeah I'm pretty confident I can manage to carry backpack for the whole day, wouldn't be my first time. However, I'm getting myself a hotel, so I'll drop it there or exchange it for a smaller bag, that should be allowed everywhere. Cheers.

Oh yeah, one more thing - I'm booking tickets now, can people help me please on this one? Prices are the same.

1) From Baltimore BWI airport 6pm direct to Phoenix 10pm (I have to take a bus to BWI, but it's a direct flight)
or
2) From Washington Ronald Reagan Airport 3pm, connecting in Atlanta, to Phoenix 10pm (Airport way closer to where I'll be staying, but trip takes longer and there's a change of planes)

THANK YOU!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Our OP writes: Oh yeah, one more thing - I'm booking tickets now, can people help me please on this one? Prices are the same.

1) From Baltimore BWI airport 6pm direct to Phoenix 10pm (I have to take a bus to BWI, but it's a direct flight)
or
2) From Washington Ronald Reagan Airport 3pm, connecting in Atlanta, to Phoenix 10pm (Airport way closer to where I'll be staying, but trip takes longer and there's a change of planes)

------
I would lean towards BWI for the non-stop flight.....as mentioned, you'll want to catch a train from DC Union Station at 3pm up to the BWI Airport Rail Station (on MARC commuter train or Amtrak long-distance train) to make a 6pm flight....and you seem comfortable with rail-bus transfer hassles......

For Reagan DCA airport, you'll want to be there by 1pm.....and have to worry about connection in ATL...... my recommendation is getting to airports in USA 2 hours before departure time...... boarding sometimes begins 40-45 mins before departure time.

------
I understand how Amtrak from Flagstaff to LA gives you both a sleeping place and transport...... but do check with the Amtrak forum on FT for advice on how to check on how late the train is coming in to Flagstaff...... enjoy!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:04 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
If you think you'll only use the subway in NYC a couple of times a day then i wouldn't bother with a daily pass, further information on subway fares and the advantage of using the pay-per-ride metro card and pay $2.25 per journey (get an extra 7% for every $10 deposited) vs paying $2.50 for a single ride ticket

Use the Amtrak status maps to check if the train is running behind (or not) http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/, the train from Flagstaff to LAX is the South West Chief, so using the status map would be found in the 'west' as train number 3

+1 on taking the direct flight
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by Powka

NEW YORK CITY
1st evening:
- C Metropolitan Museum of Art [city pass, only on Sunday]
- C Statue of Liberty, ferry [city pass]
- C Empire State Building, skyline (night time) [city pass]
2nd day:
- C Central Park
- C American Museum of Natural History (closes at 5pm) [city pass]
- C “Friends” building
- C Museum of Modern Art (closes at 5pm) [city pass]
- C Broadway (evening time)
- C Top of the Rock, Rockefeller Plaza (night time) [city pass]
- C Times Square (night time)
3rd day - whatever has been missed.

SAN FRANCISCO
1st day:
- C Beat Museum – Kerouac (540 Broadway)
- C Mama’s Diner
- C San Francisco Bay Area
- C Blue & Gold Fleet Cruise, Alcatraz (or Alcatraz night) [city pass]
2nd day:
- Coit Tower
- Telegraph Hill
- Museum of Modern Art (opens 12am) [city pass]
- Cable car (to Castro street)
- Haight Street
- Pacific Heights Photo spot
- Exploratorium [city pass]
- Twin Peaks Photo spot
- HUGE MAYBE Oakland Athletic’s vs NY Yankees [$20]
3rd day:
- Golden Gate Park
- California Academy of Science [$30]
- Golden Gate Bridge
As time and money are scarce I recommend skipping the CA Academy of Sciences in favor of the American Museum of Natural History in NYC. Instead, head to the DeYoung across the street from the CA Academy of Sciences, where you can ride the elevator to the top and enjoy an incredible view of SF gratis.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:38 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

" thanks for the tips! Highland - is that how the street is called? Are you sure about skipping Olvera Street? I mean, the schedule isn't as tight here, so I might as well check it out if there's something to see. I heard Disney Hall is impressive, or do you actually need to go inside for a show to appreciate it? As for Third Street Promenade, I think I'll be next to it at some point, so I might as well just walk past it and quickly check it out. Ok, Getty Center goes on "definitely to see" list.

Staples Center - do you know what else, except for the Lakers game if they get through, I should look out for? Because at the moment the schedule just shows some women basketball at the beginning of July and that's it. I'd love to get to a game in there, if the price is reasonable!"

I really am sure about skipping Olvera Street. It is across from Union Station, so if you are coming or going by rail it is worth a visit. Otherwise, forget it. Yes, it was was where The City Of Angels was founded, but now it is just a faux Mexican tourist attraction. Disney Hall is magnificent. Not necessary to go inside to appreciate its beauty. The great thing about Staples Center is that it is part of "LA Live". This is now the heart of downtown Los Angeles. Lots of action, great bars and restaurants. Check out the Los Angeles version of www.chowhound.com for suggestions. Hollywood and Highland is a great place to begin your Hollywood sojourn. Perhaps take bus to Highland and then walk Hollywood boulevard to Vine.There is a good Metro stop at Hollywood and Vine which will take you to downtown Los Angeles. You might want to check and see which line will drop you at 7th and Alvarado, home of Langers, best pastrami on the planet. Note: They close at 4.
Hope this helps. I have lived in Los Angeles my entire life. Love this city.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:42 pm

Since Olvera Street is right near Union Station I would definitely see it when you arrive rather than taking a trek back there later, especially with limited time.

Keep in mind that even if you extend your LA portion to include a day when Griffith Park is open, the only public transportation that runs up there is on the weekends.

I agree that the Getty is a must and you can combine it with your trip to Venice/Santa Monica.

I would suggest Venice for the daytime because that's when all the vendors will be out as well as the majority of people. But if you go on a weekday it will be a ghost town compared to the weekend. 3rd Street Promenade really is like a big strip mall but it can be fun at night. Besides all the chain stores/restaurants there are street performers and the crowds can get pretty big. Again, not as much as the weekend though. If you're there during the day don't forget the Santa Monica Pier. Much more interesting than the Promenade, IMO.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:29 am

I am glad that you decided to skip Phoenix and Philadelphia. I'm also sorry that you can't spend a day in Vegas as I believe everyone should visit Vegas least once.

Last time I took some friends to see the statue of Liberty(I stayed in battery park while they took the boat to liberty island) was in Oct/Nov 2011. It was closed for some repairs then but i'm not sure if it's still closed or not. You can still take the boat to Liberty Island - This might not be worth it to you because you will waste time in long lines and security checks. You can take the Staten Island ferry and get a good look at the Statue saving you time to explore more of the city. MOMA can be done in 3-4 hours if you don't stop and stare at things for half hour(its hard, but i think it can be done).

Have fun!!!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by oneworld82
When in Philly, you HAVE to try Pat's and Geno's and tell us which cheesesteak was better!
Meh, been there, done that. There are better, less famous cheesesteaks in Philly (sorry to disappoint).

OP, sounds like you're moving in the right direction. Keep letting us know what you need and we'll keep making suggestions!

Mike
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
One thing I would definitely add -- that Pontiac Hotel in SF...well it's kind of a terrible idea.

1) The hotel is in a pretty nasty area in SOMA (that particular street has lots of people drugged out all over the place)

2) It looks like a pretty nasty place in and of itself.

You might be much better off trying to find something on airbnb.com where you can rent out a room in someone's apartment for a similar price in a much nicer neighborhood.

-W
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another cost that I don't think has been mentioned - you really should have travel insurance, medical at a minimum, but as it isn't usually much more to add in theft, baggage etc, may as well go fully comp.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Instead of staying in a transients' hotel in SF, try Priceline. Bid on a hotel. You'll be surprised at the deals you can get, and if your bid isn't accepted it costs nothing.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
I know it's not the point of the thread, but I have to laugh at the Philly cheesesteak comments- "get one anywhere at Subway", "they're pretty much all the same".

That's like saying get Chicago deep dish pizza at Pizza Hut. Or New England Clam Chowder at Red Lobster.

True that Pat's and Geno's are mediocre overhyped tourist destinations and there are much better places to get a good cheesesteak in Philly. Cheesesteaks are not well replicated in most of the country.

Last edited by mwk190; Mar 16, 2012 at 9:38 am
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Powka
- C Statue of Liberty, ferry [city pass]
- C Blue & Gold Fleet Cruise, Alcatraz (or Alcatraz night) [city pass]
Please note that you need advance reservations for both of these attractions. If you visit them on a holiday time of the year, you might need to schedule them 2-6 weeks in advance to get your preferred slot. For Alcatraz, the Night Tour is the best one. Not sure how you can use the CityPass, since www.alcatrazcruises.com is the only operator to the island. Maybe they give you a coupon? Still Alcatraz needs to be booked weeks out in order to get a slot. In summer time, months! Check the web page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.