Wiki Posts
Search

US trip: Please criticize

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I'll add to skip Phoenix and Philly.

There's really nothing in PHX. If you want something in that area, check out Las Vegas. But you can probably skip everything except the Grand Canyon.

Philly: Cheese Whiz is gross and there are better art museums. By City Center, do you mean the historic area or the actual city center, which is just mediocre shopping?

I'd add an extra day to NYC, SF and DC. Remember that the NE cities are extremely hot and humid during the summer.

As ksandness said, you're packing in too much and, between the heat and travel, simply won't have enough time to enjoy everything. If you are ever coming back to the US, do the coast that you didn't do the first time. My suggestion for this trip would be Boston, New York, Philly, DC and maybe one other city.

A good west coast trip would be Vancouver (BC), Seattle, San Francisco, LA and maybe San Diego.

Mike
Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA mostly
I second/third/fourth what people are saying about skipping Philly and Phoenix. Especially Phoenix.

And I also agree that adding a night in Vegas would be a much better replacement. And you want to know the best part about Vegas? One night is all you need
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Yup, skip Philadelphia and either spend the mid day in NYC or leave early for DC.

And skip Phoenix. Looks like there is a 10:15pm bus to Flagstaff (and a 11:45pm) after you arrive. Or you can go on the 10:40am bus the next day.

Maybe add 1 of those to LA and the other to SF.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Misc. others
The suggestions to see the Grand Canyon via Vegas are spot on. You can find cheap accommodation, probably find a deal on visiting the canyon, and you can probably pick up a flight to LA for far less than the train.

I would probably also skip Philly, and maybe even look at flights right in to DCA - there can be some great bargains.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd sub in a night or two in Vegas, and see the Grand Canyon from there and skip Phoenix and Philly too.

One thing to consider, many tourist attractions, museums etc. won't let you bring a large bag with you, and your itinerary doesn't seem to leave much time for dropping off / picking up bags at hotels etc.

In terms of cost, don't forget to factor in tips for things like bag storage etc.

Coming in to NY, it strikes me as simpler to fly into Newark than JFK.

There seems to be way too much on the list. Pick your top 3 or 4 - I'm related to someone who thinks you should do everything in the guidebook, and spends her frantic trips behind a camera viewfinder. It just isn't a fun time IMO. I've long ago made peace with the fact that I can't do everything, and the things I've most enjoyed doing in any US city are unlikely to be in any guidebook - a dive bar here, a quirky restaurant there, a horseback ride with breathtaking scenery around a bend - all better and more memorable than any top 5/10 in those cities.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Powka
LOS ANGELES
- Grauman’s Chinese Theatre
- Hollywood Boulevard
- Hollywood Sign
- Griffith Park
- Olvera Street
- Staples Center
- Venice Beach
- Third Street Promenade
- Westwood Memorial Park
- Rodeo Drive

If there's enough time
- Runyon canyon Park
- The Getty Center
- Universal Studios Theme Park/Studio Tour (depending on $)
Since you didn't mention car rental in your budget I'll assume you mean to do all this by public transportation. One word: nightmare. Even if it was possible to get to all these places in one day by public transport, you would spend half your day either waiting for, or riding, buses. It's not like the Tube or the NY subway system where it's quick and reliable and most people take it. It's easier to get from Union Station because part of it will be by Metro Rail. Unfortunately the rail system only covers a tiny portion of LA and won't get you to the destinations you want to see.

My advice is to rent a car. There's no way you're going to see all you want to in LA without one.

Some have advised flying in rather than coming by train. If you do this you can rent and return to the airport, thus eliminating the problem of how to get there from your hotel.

If you're dead set on coming by train you can still get to your hotel easily by public transport and rent a car near your hotel. Hertz has a rate under $40 for your dates and it looks like you can return to LAX for $20 more.

When you decide how/where you'll rent a car (if you decide to ) I can help with how best to hit all the places you want to see. But I agree with some here that two days in LA is much more feasible.

I also concur with a night in Vegas.

FYI, Griffith Park is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. And I wouldn't go to Universal Studios if you paid me.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you rent a car, check your credit card for coverage. IME it is less common in the UK for credit cards to cover all the insurance on the rental car, and it can easily cost as much as the rental fee.

Btw, not sure how old you are, but some rental places don't rent to, or charge extra for young people.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Yep, skip Philly. Replace all of the grand canyon part with a day and a little bit stop in Vegas - from where you can take a helicopter tour of the Canyon. Add saved time to NY.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Serpent, I've read that the statue is being renovated, so I think I will only take a look at it from a ferry (I'm still getting it and Ellis Island with a city Pass). Did you mean security checks when going INTO the statue itself?

Kettering Northants QC, yeah, theme park is quite expensive. It'll depend what budget I'm on at the time for me to decide whether to go for a studio tour or not. And yes, I will also consider WB studio tour (there was something I didn't like about it, I don't remember now what exactly).

erik123, I'm on a tight budget, so renting a car for me is a luxury, and also too much trouble as I'm not familiar with everything driving-related in US, and that'll be just another headache, I think. I'll stick to public transport for this trip. As for the GC lodging, I've picked (didn't book yet) Bright Angel Lodge in the South Rim. It's one of the cheapest, and in a very good place, very close to the rim. I've heard good response about it.

gfunkdave, I know it's rushed, but I figured I spend most of the traveling time when I need to get from city to another city, not actually within the city (I plan to walk as much as I can). So as soon as I get to a city, it's sightseeing time. Of course this is just in theory...

fredandgingermad, when it comes to museums, I won't be spending there a whole day. I'm planning to give myself max amount of time I can spend in there, so I think around 3hours per museum will be sufficient to me. I'm not a person who stands by the picture studying it - I just glance, appreciate, and move on. Then again, I have no idea how big the museums are... but still, I'll stick to my schedule, that's the plan for now.

cordelli, it has changed a bit. Plane lands at 1pm, so I'm in Manhattan by 2pm, I think. The idea of going to Parsippany has been dropped - I'll stay in crappy cheap central NYC hotel, but it's very central - New World Hotel I think it's called. I've got half a day first, and then the whole next day. I'm visiting MET on Sunday if I can make it, if not - so be it. Then Statue of Liberty and Empire state building also on Sunday.

Good point on not being able to go as freely as I want around the city - I didn't take that into consideration. I am a fast walker, but only if there aren't people and traffic lights in the way. Do you think I'm better off taking bus/metro to some areas? And how do you skip the line with city pass - just go forward and show the you've got city pass, or is there another line for city pass holders? And again - I don't plan to spend the whole day in the museum, 3 hours max.

peersteve, I've just checked, flight to Vegas from WDC is for the same price, however, I need to take a bus (car is out of the question, as I mentioned above) to Flagstaff (as I want to travel to South Rim) that's twice as expensive, and takes twice as long - 5hrs, and Amtraik train takes 9hrs (no idea why). So even though I'd love to see Vegas, it's just too much trouble, and I've got enough stuff to think about already, haha. I also consider a short stop in Phoenix's hotel as a "catch your breath" stop. Good night's sleep and then morning bus to Flagstaff, and the craziness continues.

I haven't considered any baggage drop-offs. I'm only taking one backpack, and I was planning of taking it everywhere with me. Do I need to consider those drop-offs? I'd rather not - it takes time, money, and I also might need my bag any time during the day.

ksandness, no - it's not going to be the only trip. I'm moving to California in summer 2013. But please don't advise to stick to less places, because I'm fascinated by the fact of this trip being rushed, and crazy, and that's why I'm really excited to go. I don't want it to be a vacation, I know that I'll need a vacation after this "vacation".

mikeef, unfortunately I have top things planned for this trip to see, and those are the reason for this travel: 1) Grand Canyon, 2) LA, 3) Washington DC's memorials. The rest of the stuff just gets in the way, but I really want to see it either, since I'm already in the west, east and in between the coasts.

nshelledy, yeah, as I said above, Vegas on this particular trip would be too much trouble, I think. It's just not worth it at the moment. Plus, I'd love to check out what the city has to offer, like gambling and restaurants, but my budget is too tight and I can't afford this now. Maybe next year after my move to California, it won't be too far anyway.

PWMFlyer19, I'll do that - grab myself a nice sleep time in Phoenix's hotel, and then just a bus to Flagstaff straight away. Nothing else in Phoenix.

tebfunk, I've checked the possibility, and even though the accommodation really is very cheap - actually the cheapest from every place I'll go to (to my big surprise!) it stills comes up to be the same thing money-wise because of the expensive bus trip, and also it'll take more time and I won't get enough rest, which I will really need.

emma69, what is considered to be a "large bag"? I'll have my backpack on my back all the time, with extra clothes, gadgets, water and snack supplies, and maybe a few other things - something that I could take with my into the plane cabin. Do you think I will be refused to enter? Or is the "large bag" kind of luggage people usually take to plane's baggage department? I probably can leave my bag in hotels, but there will be times when I'll be sightseeing before I get to a hotel (as they usually allow check in's from 12:00-15:00). And as for renting a car - that's precisely why I don't want to do it, too much checking and thinking. Not for this trip.

hedur, hotel that I'll be staying in LA, Beverly Inn, is in a very close proximity to most of the stuff I'd like to see, so that will be walking time for me. The few times I think I'll need to take a bus is from train station to the hotel, to the beach side, and maybe to Staples Center. Thanks for the great tip on Griffith Park, didn't know that.

stevenshev
, no, I can't do that - Grand Canyon is number 1 reason why I want to come to US, it's been a dream of mine to see it since I was a kid. No way I'm giving up the whole day in there for anything, I already don't have enough time. I'll see what my budget is saying, and hope to get a plane tour and then sunset jeep tour.

Damn, this took about an hour to reply, lol!! I'd be really pissed off if it didn't save. Okay, as per everyone's suggestion, you convinced me - I'm skipping Philadelphia, adding this day to New York, and skipping Phoenix, adding this day back to LA! And as I said before, this "things to-do" list is what I'm planning to do, really hoping to do, want to do, but not necessarily will make it. If I don't, whatever, I'll do it next time. I'm just being optimistic and naive.

HUGE THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO'S CHIPPING IN! You have no idea how much you're helping, I don't even what to imagine what a disaster a trip would've been if I didn't ask you for advice (even though it still might turn out this way hah).

And that's how I actually plan my NYC and SF days (I might sacrifice one thing for another or something, not necessarily do everything, although that would be good):

NEW YORK CITY
1st evening:
- C Metropolitan Museum of Art [city pass, only on Sunday]
- C Statue of Liberty, ferry [city pass]
- C Empire State Building, skyline (night time) [city pass]
2nd day:
- C Central Park
- C American Museum of Natural History (closes at 5pm) [city pass]
- C “Friends” building
- C Museum of Modern Art (closes at 5pm) [city pass]
- C Broadway (evening time)
- C Top of the Rock, Rockefeller Plaza (night time) [city pass]
- C Times Square (night time)
3rd day - whatever has been missed.

SAN FRANCISCO
1st day:
- C Beat Museum – Kerouac (540 Broadway)
- C Mama’s Diner
- C San Francisco Bay Area
- C Blue & Gold Fleet Cruise, Alcatraz (or Alcatraz night) [city pass]
2nd day:
- Coit Tower
- Telegraph Hill
- Museum of Modern Art (opens 12am) [city pass]
- Cable car (to Castro street)
- Haight Street
- Pacific Heights Photo spot
- Exploratorium [city pass]
- Twin Peaks Photo spot
- HUGE MAYBE Oakland Athletic’s vs NY Yankees [$20]
3rd day:
- Golden Gate Park
- California Academy of Science [$30]
- Golden Gate Bridge
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Hi again.....glad you are adapting your journey...... as Grand Canyon is your prime site (and South Rim is better!)...... perhaps look at flights into Flagstaff...... (I wasn't sure about airline service, but checked airport code FLG)....US Airways flies a few times a day from their Phoenix hub (PHX)...... airfares booked early for FLG-LAX (change planes in PHX) run as low as US$102 ($76 fare+$26 fees) for leave FLG about 5pm, change plane in PHX and arrive LAX about 8pm....... (If you are flying on US Airways from BWI or DCA to PHX......also look at BWI-FLG or DCA-FLG for its fare, including the second flight from PHX-FLG...........maybe it is not much more money than the flight BWI or DCA to PHX polus cost of bus, etc!

Or, on your airline website or (usairways.com) try the full itinerary of DCA-FLG on one day, plus the FLG-LAX on the other day and see what the price is for the full trip!
--------------------
A colleague suggests I mention that in the USA, the bus or train stations usually do not have services seen in Europe..... the Phoenix bus station or Flagstaff train station will NOT likely have cafes, newstands, Wifi, etc......if you are going to be waiting at bus or train stations, get your food and drink somewhere else and take it with you to bus/train stn....... will you have an AM/FM earbud radio to get a local flavor and info?
-----------
Aha! That's smart to get a NYC hotel.....so no need for a place to store your backpack while walking around the city.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:10 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, Le Club Accor Gold
For the museums, i'd recommend you check out the websites and work out what you'd like to see before hand, i've never had the time in New York to check out the museums much, but in Washington DC the Smithsonian museums are pretty big, I managed to visit 'National Portrait Gallery', 'The Museum of American History' and the 'Air and Space Museum' in one day with my 4 year old in tow only because I checked out beforehand the exhibitions I wanted to see, we could easily have spent a day in each one of them otherwise! but your New York schedule sounds much more doable now, i'd recommend taking the subway from the ferry (bowling green station i think) back to the Empire State Building, even at a fast pace its around 1 1/2 hours walk between them
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by yoonny
(1) There is a Lakeland bus between Parsippany and NY. It takes about an hour.
There is a bus from Parsippany to Atlantic City, NJ. Then you can take train or bus to Philly.

(2) Time in Philly is tight. Maybe your friend can drive you to Philly the night before and you can buy the friend a cheesesteak.

(3) What are you doing in Phoenix? Perhaps cut out a day and add a day to one of the other cities.

(4) Overall it seems well planned out. Just expect the weather to be hot.
When in Philly, you HAVE to try Pat's and Geno's and tell us which cheesesteak was better!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 6:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

LOS ANGELES
- Hollywood Boulevard
- Hollywood Sign
- Griffith Park
- Olvera Street
- Staples Center
- Venice Beach
- Third Street Promenade
- Westwood Memorial Park
- Rodeo Drive

If there's enough time
- Runyon canyon Park
- The Getty Center
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
3pm train to Baltimore BWI airport [$11]
> 5pm direct flight to Phoenix with United Airlines [$250]

TIGHT -take care - adjust

EDIT -oops sorry looks like you have adjusted -have fun -sounds a wonderful itinerary
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by obscure2k
LOS ANGELES
- Hollywood Boulevard
- Hollywood Sign
- Griffith Park
- Olvera Street
- Staples Center
- Venice Beach
- Third Street Promenade
- Westwood Memorial Park
- Rodeo Drive

If there's enough time
- Runyon canyon Park
- The Getty Center
Sorry for the mix-up. Here are my suggestions:
As you are staying around Beverly and Fairfax, it should be easy (I think) to get a bus on Beverly to Highland. Once on Highland, you will be in the heart of Hollywood. In fact, you should be right on Hollywood Blvd and near the Chinese Theatre.If it is a clear day, just look north and you will see the Hollywood sign.
I suggest skipping Olvera Street. Seriously, there is nothing there worth your time.Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica is just another car-free mall with chain stores. Skip it.
Staples Center is a blast if you have tix to a game. Otherwise, forget it, unless you score Springsteen tix.
The Getty Center is a MUST SEE!
Runyon Canyon park is basically a leash-free dog park, so skip it.
Hate Universal Studios.
Rodeo Drive is interesting, as you will be photographing tourists photographing tourists.
Westwood memorial Park: Skip it. I go there because my beloved father is buried there. No other reason to go unless you want to see celebrity tombstones.
Venice Beach is always fun,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.