Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

How come america has such a big tipping culture when no one else does?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How come america has such a big tipping culture when no one else does?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by LarryJ
To someone who has spent their life in the US, it is difficult to leave without adding a tip. It feels like you're being cheap.
My experience has been different. I never left the USA until I was in my 30s but in the last several years I've traveled abroad extensively. For me, paying at restaurants without leaving a tip has taken no effort to get used to. The only effort is researching a country's customs before my first trip there.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by calista
i am not saying people don't tip in other countries, ofcourse they do, but virtually no other countries force rigid and expensive tips on tourists and locals alike, and berate them when the requirement is not met.

why is america the only country like this?
I have lived in the US for over 60 years. The only time anyone complained to me ("berated" would be about right) about a tip was at the coffee shop at Galeries Lafayette in Paris. (I had no change for the pourboire.)
Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jpmcdonough
The only time anyone complained to me ("berated" would be about right) about a tip was at the coffee shop at Galeries Lafayette in Paris. (I had no change for the pourboire.)
On that note, I once left a restaurant in Melbourne, FL and got a snarky remark from the waitress. I left 4 large shiny coins on the tray which was a decent tip for the meal tab but I guess she had never seen a Susan B. Anthony (got those dumped on me buying stamps from a USPS vending machine).
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:11 pm

IMO its a small price to pay for service. In Europe I have to go get my own drink, or wait what feels like hours for the waiter to do it for me. There were plenty of times where the drinks would come out after the appetizers and times when I was waiting 10-15 minutes before I could even get my drink order in. After we were clearly done we'd have to go find the waiter to get the bill. After spending a few months abroad I had a sit down meal in the states and I was more than happy to leave a 20% tip for the service.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The low minimum wage for servers I agree definitely plays a big part to the tips..
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:00 am

What happened to the original poster?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
The low minimum wage for servers I agree definitely plays a big part to the tips..
But the point is that the wage is below minimum wage and the tips make up the difference.

What is - for example - the difference between paying someone $4 an hour plus $1 in tips compared to paying $5 an hour and no tips which is what you have when you have compulsory tips.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
If the service is dreadful, then you ask to speak to a manager, tell that person that the service was dreadful and then leave no tip. I totally agree. I've done just that, a few times, in the past. In the best of circs, the manager will thank me sincerely for bringing the dreadful service to their attention and comp the entire meal.
I agree, and apologies for misinterpreting your previous post.

Sorry Queeny!!!
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:00 am

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
My experience has been different. I never left the USA until I was in my 30s but in the last several years I've traveled abroad extensively. For me, paying at restaurants without leaving a tip has taken no effort to get used to. The only effort is researching a country's customs before my first trip there.
I am like you in that it takes no effort to not tip when abroad, but I met a man on my last trip that was well traveled but couldn't understand that for the certain service given that no tip was expected. I think it stems from the fact that I am a logical thinker and to me a tip is a bribe pure and simple. He was more of a writer/artist type so he thought more with emotion than if-then statements. A logical thinker will consider a tip as a bribe while a emotional thinker will consider tips a much more personal thing that is harder to let go. It all depends on what kind of person you are and how easy it is to flip the switch.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:18 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
We are very generous people.
If you were then you would pay your workers a living wage.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:28 am

deleted
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by djs
While we're on your point, how about the additonal taxes that one pays in many other countries? For example, gasoline costs significantly more in Europe than it does in the US, largly due to higher taxes? What do those taxes go to, and why should tourists have to fund whateve those taxes go to?
...or the sales taxes on top of the shelf price that people are forced to pay in the US?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:41 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
A tipping thread never fails to start the same fireworks all over again. Let me tell you what I don't like about tipping. I am merely an observer here, of the phenomenon and of my feelings about it, but I am not an activist. In my personal life, I try to follow local customs everywhere, as best as I can understand them.

So here are two things I don't like about tipping as practiced in the USA.

First, the undertone of class. We don't tip teachers, doctors, nurses, firefighters, etc., even when they did a great job. Tipping seems reserved for "lower classes", servers etc.

Second, on top of classism, arbitrariness. Cashiers at an ice cream or coffee shop feel free to put a tipping jar out. For some reason, cashiers at a fast food restaurant, supermarkets, departments stores, bookshops, garden shops, etc., who perform essentially the same task, are not allowed the same privilege. We tip taxi drivers, but not bus drivers. Barbers, but not dry-cleaners.

Americans who are not well-traveled may feel that tipping culture brings them good service. In truth, service in the USA is mediocre at best. Coincidence or not, the best service I see provided consistently is in places without tipping culture.

Last edited by aktchi; Jul 17, 2011 at 5:48 am
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
Americans who are not well-traveled may feel that tipping culture brings them good service. In truth, service in the USA is mediocre at best. Coincidence or not, the best service I see provided consistently is in places without tipping culture.
^
Old Jul 17, 2011, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aktchi
A tipping thread never fails to start the same fireworks all over again. Let me tell you what I don't like about tipping. I am merely an observer here, of the phenomenon and of my feelings about it, but I am not an activist. In my personal life, I try to follow local customs everywhere, as best as I can understand them.

So here are two things I don't like about tipping as practiced in the USA.

First, the undertone of class. We don't tip teachers, doctors, nurses, firefighters, etc., even when they did a great job. Tipping seems reserved for "lower classes", servers etc.

Second, on top of classism, arbitrariness. Cashiers at an ice cream or coffee shop feel free to put a tipping jar out. For some reason, cashiers at a fast food restaurant, supermarkets, departments stores, bookshops, garden shops, etc., who perform essentially the same task, are not allowed the same privilege. We tip taxi drivers, but not bus drivers. Barbers, but not dry-cleaners.

^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.