Wiki Posts
Search

Why do you holiday in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2011, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Why do you holiday in the US?

This sprung from a conversation I had earlier in the week with a colleague. He holidays solely in the US and has no interest in going anywhere else in the world whereas I would be quite content to only visit San Francisco and New York and nowhere else in the USA. For the avoidance of doubt I have been to the US 20+ times and seen a lot of the country - both coasts, the middle bits, city and countryside. Miles of strips malls, bland food and generic consumer culture just don't move me . There simply isn't much in the country that I can't find somewhere cheaper/more culturally rich/closer to home.

So what makes you holiday in the USA? What am I missing?

P.S This is NOT intended to be a Yank baiting thread or start some pointless transtlantic flaming match. I am genuinely interested in what appeals to you and what I might be missing
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:08 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
I am a bit like that...

I've been to other places (Middle East, Spain, Portugal, Australia, Hong Kong etc.) but my favourite places in the World are Vegas (and the whole US West Coast) and Dubai.

I guess I loved seeing the places on TV as a kid and later being able to go there.

As I mentioned in another Thread, I'm a total Petrol Head, so getting a nice, huge and powerful rental car - just cruising down the Highway 1 or blasting through the Death Valley - enjoying the scenery, is simply wonderful.

Vegas as Adults biggest playground, doesn't really need to be commented on: Love it or hate it.

I also like the mentality of most people I meet when traveling there. People are more friendly (even if oftenly superficial) and open minded. I feel it's easier to get to know people in the US, than in other places.

Dubai in some respects a similar experience. Nice people, no language barrier, wonderful beaches and nightclubs - and I'm quite into shopping too.
While I only travel with Handluggage on business trips, I will travel with big bags after a US vacation, boosting their economy through various Mall trips. - So I even like the fact that everything is very commercial.

So - West Coast Road Trips all the way for me (last time I did SFO->LAX->SAN->Yuma->PHX->LAS).

I also like the Midwest. While not quite as exciting, again: People are great and it's less touristy.

New York on the other hand was a good experience, but the fact that it's not great to drive around NYC puts me off.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
For me, two world-class cities (NYC and San Francisco) and many of the National Parks (Yellowstone is my favourite but some of the scenery in the south-west, particularly in Arizona and Utah is just incredible - on a scale that I struggle to comprehend coming from the UK).
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Gold, Priority Club Gold
I guess some of the attraction is that it's a long-haul destination with decent weather (time of year/location permitting) and (for the most part) no language barrier. It's an 'easy' option.

I usually go to the US to visit my old man (Ohio) and usuall take a side-trip off from there (this year was Miami Beach and Key West) but despite having visited most of Florida, Philly, Ohio, SF, Vegas and (my favourite) Colorado, there's still a lot more to see and do there. In fact I'm planning a road-trip from LA to Yellowstone for next year or the following year (just watched BBC Yellowstone series and I really want to go there soon).

That said, off with the missus to Hong Kong, Singapore and Maldives in Sept, so I guess we're fairly lucky in that we get to experience more than just one destination.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
For me, it's a lot of things. I know different parts of the world have similar experiences to those offered in the US, but the English speaking in the US is a big plus for me.

Other things I love include shopping (US is great for that!!), beaches, beautiful national parks, the Everglades, the deserts, scenery such as that observed on the Big Sur. I also love the American people - so full of life, ambitious and proud of their country. It's a bit cheesy I know but the patriotism most Americans show is something I think we as Brits could do with more of - and not just when the football team plays!

The outdoor lifestyle is also one I love. In the evenings there's so much to do you don't want to vegetate in front of the TV (like I do here). Cycling, walking, running are all things I do all the time when in the US but rarely here.

Shops close at realistic hours which are clearly designed around the customer rather than the needs of the staff as they appear to be in the UK.

And although it's not as good as it once was, the service in the US is much better than the UK.

I'm lucky enough to have visited every continent except Australasia and there are many places I'd like to visit again - Brazil being top of that list. But there are others - such as Dubai - that you couldn't even pay me to go to these days (glad I did it before it became the Middle East Benidorm!).

When the US has so much to offer to lovers of every culture, that'll work for me.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Well iv got to say that the US is quite new to me, with my total experience so far being:
SFO x2, MSY x1, HNL x1 & LAX x1

Of all of them I would visit again apart from Los Angeles which I didn't care for at all.

I do have NYC booked for December health depending!!

After that I think that the next 2 for 1 could well be heading to the Caribbean and then possibly oz availability depending.

As for the US, well iv no desire to visit certain tourist parts for theme parks etc but some parts I think you have got to see at least once, then again I think the same about many parts of the world.

One thing that amazes me all the time is the amount of Brits that regularly travel to America yearly but have never been to Scotland or jersey or Cornwall etc etc etc

cs
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I don't recognise the USA you describe. Sure, some areas are not so good, but it's really the whole world in one country.

Generally nice people. Although I get annoyed when drunks insist on talking to me at bars.

Just off there now. Can't wait to get to Portland, which is my favourite US city (so far!). Hardly any chain 'restaurants', lots of micro breweries, and great wine from the Willamette valley. Plus some unbelievable scenery in the surrounding areas.

Then again, I have just spent 8 months on and off in Houston

Flying into Las Vegas, but I've been there before and it's not my favourite place, so heading straight out tomorrow.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA silver
Friends!

When you have friends in a place, then shopping malls, food and consumer culture become a lot less important in making the decision whether to go or not.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:49 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
I'm lucky enough to have visited every continent except Australasia and there are many places I'd like to visit again - Brazil being top of that list. But there are others - such as Dubai - that you couldn't even pay me to go to these days (glad I did it before it became the Middle East Benidorm!).

When the US has so much to offer to lovers of every culture, that'll work for me.
There you go again, making prejudices against something you've never experienced. Dubai is nothing like Benidorm. Never has been, never will be. If you hate a place based on where some chavvy footballers go then you should equally hate Jamaica and Barbados, which seems to be the new haunt for Rooney and the like.

I think that everyone I spoke to on the Dubai 'do' last week said they liked the place. These were people from all over the world.

Cheers,
Rick

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I have very cheap (i.e. free) accommodation on ACK so that's why I go there, I have friends and relatives in other US places who I could also visit. They speak the same language and it's not that expensive to visit (even ACK). Oh yes and I can switch on the TV and watch the Red Sox playing
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Swanhunter

So what makes you holiday in the USA? What am I missing?
Nothing!

I used to be hugely pro-American, looking forward to every visit to the USA for a vacation. I've flown into/out of 20+ US airports and visited from coast to coast.

And then I worked there (even owned a very nice property) - and I saw a completely different USA to the one you see as a tourist. It completely changed my view of the country. Beneath the 'have a nice day' veneer I found a country where racial tension simmers just below the surface, people get upset over the most trivial issues, and the same strip malls and bland food that Swanhunter refers to.

Particularly post 9/11 the hassle of getting into the country in the first place (i.e. US Immigration) just turns me off wanting to visit the place. I haven't been there in four years, and if I never visit again it will be too soon - a sentiment shared, I suspect, by DSK.

Like Swanhunter I'm not posting for the sake of 'Yank baiting'; just airing my opinion which, no doubt, many others will disagree with.

But there's another reason not to holiday in the US - there's so many other wonderful places in the world to choose from!

Happy 4th of July!
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Dubai is nothing like Benidorm. Never has been, never will be.
It is a bit though, isn't it! It was lovely but I think it has been changed by the mass development and I can see why some would say for the worst. I can also see that some would love it because of the development. I can also see clear similarities between some of the Coastal areas of southern Spain and Dubai.

With regards the the USA, I love the place. Love the people and the choices within the country for different experiences. I do agree though that the more I go the more sandy some of the cities have become.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We're going this year on our way back from the UK....as long as no DC ICC ticketing cock-up gets in the way that is. As redemption availability from YVR was non existent we are coming back via SEA. Flying on to ORD where we have a few days.....is there anything to see in Chicago?
I've been to the US before but my wife has never been. I have a great desire to see the likes of Yosemite,Yellowstone and Alaska but they'll have to wait for another trip.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
I don't!
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:12 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Ive been to the U.S 30 times now on holiday, i have also visited 24 other countries so i dont let my love of the U.S get in the way of seeing other countries and cultures.

I feel comfortable with the way of life there and agree with the previous comments about shopping and services levels.

I have been going back to the Scottsdale/ Cave creek area for the last 10 years where i hire a house for 2 or 3 weeks and find i can totally relax whilst having everything i need close to hand. A few hours drive will also get you some fantastic scenery.

The houses for hire are just amazing, my partner raves about the kitchens and the houses we hire have a great pool and spa in the back garden.

Once you have been through the airport experience, it feels like things are set up for you, the consumer rather than the shop/business you are dealing with.

There are some great cities, my favourites are SF - large and Savannah - small.

Probably my best travel highlights are not in the U.S, but for a consistently good experience, i go back year after year. This year i have 2 trips coming up, Scottsdale in late sept and SFO in late October.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.