Wiki Posts
Search

US municipalities with no property tax

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

US municipalities with no property tax

(this is a homebase, expat, retirement related issue - which i seem to recall coming up here a number of times, but i could be wrong)

new to me - apparently much of alaska has no property taxes. wow. no state income/sales taxes. municipality sales/etc taxes vary. populations in municipalities with no property taxes range from 7,366 in northwest arctic borough to 19 [] in bettles. (no sales/etc taxes in those two either.)

there isnt anywhere else is there?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 21, 2011 at 11:40 am
Old Mar 21, 2011, 1:05 pm

You might want to check out Nevada. While they do have property taxes in all municipalities that I know of, they're typically very low (several times less than in most other states). For instance, I moved from NM to NV, bought a house that cost six times as much as what I paid for the NM house, and paid about the same property tax as I had in NM.

No personal income tax in NV either.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Mesa AZ, to the best of my knowledge, is the largest city in the US without a primary property tax. There are secondary taxes that have been assessed over the years to pay the interest on various bond measures for capital projects but no primary property tax. For a long time, the city was able to fund itself as it grew through impact fees to builders and sales tax. As other neighboring cities also began to develop a housing base and build their own shopping malls, Mesa has become faced with more competition and the services and the employees in the city are starting to suffer the consequences in the form of stagnant wages and a lower level of service.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

mesa residents dont pay maricopa county taxes?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
mesa residents dont pay maricopa county taxes?
I'm sure that there are some special taxes for community college districts, flood control, etc, but the city of Mesa does not collect a primary property tax based on the assessed value of residences in its limits. Does that make sense?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

wow. good to know. ^
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by clarence5ybr
You might want to check out Nevada. While they do have property taxes in all municipalities that I know of, they're typically very low (several times less than in most other states). For instance, I moved from NM to NV, bought a house that cost six times as much as what I paid for the NM house, and paid about the same property tax as I had in NM.

No personal income tax in NV either.

North Las Vegas has property taxes about 3 times higher than Vegas, just fyi
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:47 am

Programs: JMB Diamond, Hilton Silver, UAL
Good to know....

This is great info, that I have wondered but have never taken the chance to research. The property taxes in my area continue to increase, mostly for school funding, despite still declining home values. I don't have kids in the schools, and don't mind supporting the schools to a point, but the increases year over year have become onerous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.