Community
Wiki Posts
Search

travelling back to the us with an unpaid speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Question travelling back to the us with an unpaid speeding ticket

was in the us (texas) this year got a speeding ticket and left the country before paying it, will this cause a problem at customs if i go back to the country?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
It's not inconceivable that you might have a warrant against you. Especially in TX!

I'd definitely do my legwork before trying to arrive to the US.

HTSC
Originally Posted by BanjoKazooie31
was in the us (texas) this year got a speeding ticket and left the country before paying it, will this cause a problem at customs if i go back to the country?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:48 am
Original Poster

ok so i would be arrested?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:18 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
I can't imagine that you would have anything to worry about, unless you were caught in Texas for a new offense, unlikely to happen unless you're driving and speeding/involved in a wreck/stc.. Speeding tickets and wants/warrants for same are not in the national crime info system's giant server.

Now, if you get picked up for a "public nuisance" or "mopery" or "contravention of the general order of things as they ought to be" down in Cut'n Shoot or out in Notrees, they'll probably run a warrant check on you, but it's unlikely that a deputy will be sent to drag you back to the county of your original offense. The biggest risk you face is being apprehended in the county where your original offense occurred. Don't sin in dallas, if that was the site of earlier transgressions. Go on down to Houston; sin there, and don't worry.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Just remember "It is all about the Money" with that said, just bring lots of Money & pay them their Blood Money/Extortion or whatever term you want to use.

It isnt about Justice, it is about how much can we get out of you.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Customs only cares about what you bring into the US, in theory. You're asking about going through US Immigration. Will you be arrested??? Not quite.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Zero issue....

...I have a multitude of unpaid tix in PA, MD and CA, and we have a second home in AZ that we are at 3-4 time/yr.
Never have these come back to haunt me.
If I am driving in any of those states and get pulled over then I guess I would probably have to pay them...but crossing the border...no worries.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by HomerJ
If I am driving in any of those states and get pulled over then I guess I would probably have to pay them...but crossing the border...no worries.
Or arrested.

As long as you avoid Texas you'll be 100% OK.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by erik123
As long as you avoid Texas you'll be 100% OK.
No intend to encourage OP or similar behavior. Just a true story...

I have a friend who got a speeding ticket (or two) while studying in TX years ago. He told me he never paid the fine, didn't go the court, and attended no defensive driving classes. He's long graduated and returned to his home country.

So far, he's made at least 3 trips to the United States after graduation. Two of them were road trips visiting different cities in Texas. Never got a problem. No detention in US customs. No pull-overs.

I am sure his story would have been quite different if he had committed a much serious crime while on US soil.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: CO Gold
and to balance the story I will give two of mine

a) I know of one guy who CLAIMS that his visa renewal application was denied specifically because of a ticket he didnt pay

b) a friend of mine got one in NY.....when he told me I told him to pay it before leaving the country.........he told me that the next time he flew to the US (a few weeks later) they asked him......AT CHECK IN here in SJO...if he paid the ticket....this is one of my best friends but realistically I would have to see it to believe it

YMMV
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

ok so i should be ok if i avoid flying/driving to texas? when i was driving the office took my name but my university address, so unless they cross check with the university i dont think they would notice me when going through customs?

and worst case scenario what will happen to me if im red flagged?
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Many U.S.counties place their traffic court records on the Internet.

Here in Broward County, FL, you can pay certain past-due traffic fines directly over the Internet by going to the Clerk of the Courts website. Of course, the penalty is usually much larger than the original amount due, since non-payment penalties apply (at least you gain the peace of mind).
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
ok so i should be ok if i avoid flying/driving to texas? when i was driving the office took my name but my university address, so unless they cross check with the university i dont think they would notice me when going through customs?
A speeding ticket is an administrative infraction, not a crime. It will not be in the immigration service's computers.

Worst case? A free trip to Cuba.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 7:56 pm
JBa

Programs: some

CUSTOMS does not care about your speeding tickets because they don't check your ID. Immigration is the only one that checks your ID when entering the US.
The only time you can get in trouble is when you drive in TX and you get pulled over. You might end up in jail.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBa
CUSTOMS does not care about your speeding tickets because they don't check your ID. Immigration is the only one that checks your ID when entering the US.
I'm pretty sure those have both been the same agency for several years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.