Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
US Airways / Barclays $99.00 Companion Certificates

As indicated in post #1254 & 1255, the last date to book has been EXTENDED
to October 12, use by 31 Dec 2015, on AA.

US Airways Companion Certificate

Purchase a roundtrip ticket of $250 (before any taxes) or more with your US Airways Dividend Miles MasterCard and have up to two companions fly with you for $99 each (plus tax on the amount of the equivalent full-fare ticket).

The price of the full-fare ticket is determined by the lowest "bucket" for which two Y seats are available if you have one companion and for which three Y seats are available if you have two companions.

Systemwide blackout dates (2015):
Jan 3, 4, Feb 13, Mar 15, 20, 22, 26, 27, 29, Apr 2, 3, 6, 12, May 21, 22, Jun 25, 26, Jul 5, 6, Oct 18, Nov 20, 29, 30, Dec 18, 19, 26, 27

Additional Blackout Dates for specific cities (2015):
- Jan 15 from Dallas
- Jan 29, 30 to Phoenix
- Feb 2, 3 from Phoenix
- Feb 13 to New Orleans
- Feb 18 from New Orleans
- Apr 7 from Indianapolis
- Apr 30, May 1 to Louisville
- May 3 from Louisville

Routing:
Certificate valid for use when travel originates in the contiguous 48 United States for service to the contiguous 48 states or Canada.
Not valid for travel to Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Caribbean, Mexico, Central/South America, or Europe. Not valid on stopovers, open jaws, open returns, or circle trips.

Valid Carrier
Valid on flights operated by US Airways and US Airways Express. Not valid on codeshare flights operated by partner airlines such as United.
Valid for travel on American flights with a departure date after October 18, 2015.

Dividend Miles Accrual and Upgrades
Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted. Dividend Miles Preferred upgrades are permitted subject to the rules of the upgrade being used. All Dividend Miles Terms and Conditions apply.

Additional guidelines for booking
1) You must call US Airways reservations; you cannot book this type of ticket on line.
2) The certificate must be used by YOU, you cannot have someone else and two companions use it.
3) You must book you and any companions at the same time as you on the same routing and PNR as you. One companion cannot break off and go a different direction for one segment.
4) You must use your US Airways Mastercard to make the purchase.
5) You must mail in the certificate after you make the purchase. The address is printed on the certificate (US Airways office in Winston-Salem, NC). (They insist that you retain proof of mailing within 24 hours of booking)
6) There should NOT be a telephone booking fee for this as you can't book this type of fare any other way.
7) It should be possible to split the PNR after booking (this may be beneficial for those hoping for an upgrade as a preferred member, or if the card holder can no longer travel on the days originally booked) YMMV.
8) Any changes to the tickets after booking are subject to the current change fees listed on the US Airways website.
9) Ticket must be booked at least 14 days in advance of travel. (Agents may try to tell you that it needs 15 days because the day of travel is not counted. Even supervisor will insist on it. Do not buy that. Hang up and redial. You need usual 14 days advance booking)
10) You can cancel within 24 hours of booking and you will retain the certificate if you have not mailed it. But they will not make any changes to reservations even within 24 hours due to the third sentance under the Change/Refunds section in the T&C.

Contact Phone Number for post October 18 travel: The American Airlines Meeting and Group Travel Desk is handling the post-October 18, 2015 US Companion Certificates travel reservations- 1-800-433-1790

Related thread:
Benefits of US Airways MasterCard®
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS: US Companion Certificates [use by 31 Dec 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by kimbray
Is anyone else experience this? My wife just signed up for a Barclays card and we were issued a certificate number, but when we call US Air there are issues with these certificate numbers. Called Barclays to reissue a new code with no luck so far... BUT need to plan travel ASAP. Any other thoughts?
Odd, I've never been asked for the cert #. They always ask for the SHARES Reference code.

Once the reservation is booked, they want you to mail the cert in.

So, if they're asking for the cert # over the phone, thats a new wrinkle.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, HIltonHonors Diamond, KrisFlyer Silver, BW Diamond
No zone 2 boarding w/companion pass?

I used my Companion pass to book a US Airways flight from Clt to SFO. I used my US Airways credit card and Dividend number when booking the flight. That part of the transaction went fine; got the flight and price I wanted with 2 $99 tickets.

However, after the purchase I went into my flight record and changed my preference to my AAdvantage #. When I printed up my boarding passes I was issued ZONE 5 boarding both ways. I wonder if this was because I used my AA# or because of the fact it was a Companion tix.

In any case it really didn't matter much, as on the outgoing flight we were at the US Airways Club and arrived just in time to walk on the flight, and the return I just boarded w/ Zone 2 and showed them my US Air MasterCard. They were actually holding up those who were trying to board ahead of the announced zone!! Both trips there was plenty of rooms in the overhead bins.

But I am just curious of the reason for no Zone 2...

Also, this part of the WIKI is not true: "Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted." As I have already received the mileage in the AAdvantage program for my US Airways flight.

Last edited by wolfie52; Apr 20, 2014 at 10:56 am
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Your eligibility is tied to your US Airways number. Changing it to your AAdvantage number almost certainly eliminated that eligibility.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:32 am

Any news when can we use the companion ticket with American Airlines?
Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
Probably won't happen anytime this year. 2015 at the earliest.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by teese35
Probably won't happen anytime this year. 2015 at the earliest.
If that is the case, cross-fleeting is going to greatly devalue Companion passes, make it very difficult to find round trip connections on all US metal http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ed-routes.html
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by wolfie52

Also, this part of the WIKI is not true: "Travel is eligible for Dividend Miles accrual, accrual in other airline programs not permitted." As I have already received the mileage in the AAdvantage program for my US Airways flight.
The info in the Wikipost is simply copied from the US Website.

If you find something incorrect, then please edit to fix it.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
Companion pass with mixed metal -- is it possible?

Anyone tried booking a companion pass ticket (barclaycard) on mixed metal or an all-AA itinerary? If so, what was the outcome/success rate?

Also, being new to this companion pass, does both flyers get access to their potential upgrades as well as DM earnings for this flight?

Thx!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kreative03
Anyone tried booking a companion pass ticket (barclaycard) on mixed metal or an all-AA itinerary? If so, what was the outcome/success rate?

Also, being new to this companion pass, does both flyers get access to their potential upgrades as well as DM earnings for this flight?

Thx!
To the former, not sure - I haven't heard any affirmative reports. Call and ask, and if you get shot down so be it. (I'd HUCA a few times to verify)

To the latter - yes.

FYI, look here for more info: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...er-thread.html
Old May 1, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Received our CC anniversary Companion passes yesterday (Apr 30), which we have been planning to use for a leisure trip SAN-MSY at the end of Oct.

As indicated earlier, I was a bit concerned with the lack of US metal options on the US website, higher fares relative to AA options - particularly for a Sunday (Nov 2). Least of the evils was a one-stop through CLT (both directions), redeye outbound (Oct 29). Total fare for one passenger was $1089, approx $250 more than similar options on AA. As this appears to be the going rate for SAN-MSY, we decided to quit while we were ahead, called to book.
1. CSR confirmed that certs are ONLY good on US metal.
2. CSR was originally unable to located ANY flights on US metal, I gave her the flights found online, came up to $1800 on her system She then called the rate desk, kept me on hold for about 10 mins, was able to "match" the web fare. All in with the fees - $1229. Not the best deal in the world, but I do not have the time, patience to watch it for several months, all indications are that it will only go up.
Old May 5, 2014, 9:46 pm

Just wondering if people have successfully changed the Dividend Miles number to an Aadvantage number and had the miles post? Am chasing EXPLORER this year so I'd like to get the EQMs if I could. ..
Old May 6, 2014, 8:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum, where it will be merged with the existing thread.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old May 6, 2014, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by crimson12
Just wondering if people have successfully changed the Dividend Miles number to an Aadvantage number and had the miles post? Am chasing EXPLORER this year so I'd like to get the EQMs if I could. ..
Yes, no problem. Was able to do it with UA when USAir was in Star Alliance, and now have done it with AA. I just did it for a couple of flights over Easter and the EQM's posted to AA without a hitch.
Old May 10, 2014, 8:22 pm

Unhappy

It looks like the companion certificate will be a thing of the past. I was reading another thread in this forum which prompted me to log onto my US Airways card account. The rewards details page now states the following under the 'Year-round benefits:'

•Companion certificate good for round-trip travel on a US Airways flight for up to 2 companions traveling with you at $99 each (plus taxes and fees). Last certificate issued on 2014 Anniversary date.

What a shame; I really enjoyed this benefit and hate to see it go. I still plan to keep the card for now; will this change your plans in keeping the card?
Old May 11, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by swazzie
It looks like the companion certificate will be a thing of the past. I was reading another thread in this forum which prompted me to log onto my US Airways card account. The rewards details page now states the following under the 'Year-round benefits:'

•Companion certificate good for round-trip travel on a US Airways flight for up to 2 companions traveling with you at $99 each (plus taxes and fees). Last certificate issued on 2014 Anniversary date.
I'm confused. The companion pass is always issued on your anniversary date... it comes after you pay the AF.

Care to share a link to the other thread with more info??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.