Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by sphereman
Now a first seat opened up but on a different date.
Originally Posted by faithwins
Also in theory, you shouldn't pay the change fee.
Voluntary date changes have never been free of charge. $150 per ticket.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:02 pm

After 4 phone calls, still no solution to my 120 x 140k case. Iīll post the final answer soon.

Another question: the africa-africa business cost is 50k, leaving from JNB, I wanna go to cape town and mauritius, is there any chance of that doing a stopover in one city and final destination at the another? What do you guys suggest?
Thank you again.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ironfire
After 4 phone calls, still no solution to my 120 x 140k case. Iīll post the final answer soon.

Another question: the africa-africa business cost is 50k, leaving from JNB, I wanna go to cape town and mauritius, is there any chance of that doing a stopover in one city and final destination at the another? What do you guys suggest?
Thank you again.
just for clarification... what do you mean that there has been no solution to the 120 vs 140 issue? have you already made a booking and put it on hold? if you have, then calling again is unlikely to change the result. if you have NOT made a booking, then any quote for 120 has only a slim chance of sticking by the time the agent completes the booking and assesses the routing.

if you are looking at an intra zone award, then no stopovers are permitted. <incorrect information redacted>

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Sep 24, 2013 at 7:55 pm
Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Voluntary date changes have never been free of charge. $150 per ticket.
Whoops read too quickly, didnt realise that it was a date change and not just a F seat on the same flight. My apologies!
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
if you are looking at an intra zone award, then no stopovers are permitted. you can however open jaw the origin and final return city. (you cannot open jaw the destination)
Where does it say so?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
(you cannot open jaw the destination)
Originally Posted by elva
Where does it say so?
I'm pretty sure you can. I have previously booked MEL-SFO / JFK-MEL no problems - that is an open jaw at the destination right?

The membership guide specifically describes this scenario:

Open jaw travel (flying to one city and returning from another)
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by elva
Where does it say so?
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
I'm pretty sure you can. I have previously booked MEL-SFO / JFK-MEL no problems - that is an open jaw at the destination right?

The membership guide specifically describes this scenario:
sorry, my bad... I mixed up stopovers which also attempt to open jaw (which you cant do) I'll edit my original post to accordingly.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: LX, BA, SQ, MH
I have an issue where I can see availability on Ana and United but when I call US to book it they say the flight is unavailable.
Is this just a phantom availability? The flight is available to book one day before which is also what appears on ANA so it seems that for the day before it is consistent.
I am specifically looking for a LX flight from ZRH-GRU. Can I ask the agent to request it again or is it just tough luck that I cannot book that flight?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:47 am

@ LAX888

Check out the advice stated two pages back in this thread: #18027

There are also reports in this thread, that there must always be an additional award seat available on LX that US can book it. i.ex. If you need 2 seats, look out for 3 available award seats, etc.

If not successful this way, forget the availability seen and search a new routing or use miles from another FFP.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:54 am

guys Iīve got my solution to the 120x140k south america - middle-east issue, ok then, the first booking was really quoted as 140k, but Iīve made another one and the agent was capable of doing all the route with only 120k, so Itīs really possible to fly south america-middle east for 120k, with a stop in whatever place you wish, in my case JNB. It only depends on the understanding of the attendant in the program rules or the will of them to help. Cheers.
PS: Iīve called 14 times to USair, it's really not easy or cool, but it was worthy in the end
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:49 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
PS: Iīve called 14 times to USair, it's really not easy or cool, but it was worthy in the end
So you're complaining that it's not easy or cool to book award flights on US because it took you 14 times to call up until you found an agent willing to book your itinerary at an incorrect price?????
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by bevoinva
So you're complaining that it's not easy or cool to book award flights on US because it took you 14 times to call up until you found an agent willing to book your itinerary at an incorrect price?????
What do you mean by incorrect price?? The price for south america - middle east is 120k and you should be able to do a stopover or open jaw, period.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:13 pm

What do you mean by incorrect price?? The price for south america - middle east is 120k and you should be able to do a stopover or open jaw, period.
aha... and what about thae rule below that you broke intentionally by callin 14 times?

so Itīs really possible to fly south america-middle east for 120k, with a stop in whatever place you wish, in my case JNB.
You mean in every place i wish? i.ex. South Pacific? Alaska? Are you serious?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
You mean in every place i wish? i.ex. South Pacific? Alaska? Are you serious?
Yep. I want to fly my family RT from SAT to CUN with a stopover in BKK or AKL. That's 35K miles in coach, right?

Of course I would make a couple of calls hoping that things work in my favor, too. But if they don't, I'm not going to be unhappy about it.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:49 pm

Has anyone had any recent success having a Business/First Class award ticket with one segment in coach/business where that one segment was upgraded for free when seats opened up for it?

Have tried calling 3 times so far, but all 3 times they have said that they would have to cancel the entire reservation and rebook.... with a change fee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.