Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fastbreak to Preferred Status - Free Silver Trial from Budget

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pkincy
The CSR had no idea how to add status to the existing reservation.
Have them remove the US FF number from the reservation. After it is removed, have them add it again.
That usually works on most airlines.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I wouldn't have very high expectations of receiving any upgrade benefits from this promo. It has spread like wildfire across the web. Google 'Silver Preferred' and it seems like every blogger has caught on
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Thanks Saw this when I was in the AA AC after I checked in for my flight so missed it for my outbound, status showed up last night so hopefully my return will benefit since they said no to matching my AA EXP status. Unless someone has any tips or phone numbers they'd be willing to share so I can contact someone else. ^
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hawaiian Air Fold, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum
My confirmation email for the silver status arrived today, 2 days after signing up as posted here earlier. The email specifically said that the status could be added by calling the CSR line. Again I called and again the CSR was clueless on how to actually accomplish the change to get it on the all important boarding pass. The status shows on the Div Miles number but not on the existing reservation.

I do suspect the miles/segments will count as they will appear after status has changed, but no line or boarding breaks until a new reservation is made it appears. Obviously it is possible if they recommend it, but no one has trained the CSRs in how to do it.

If I wanted to talk to them again I would try the thoughtful suggestion posted above, but it is not that important to me. If someone else is successful on the FF# removal and reentry, let us know.

Perry
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:46 pm

Can I take advantage if I don't want to stay with US and don't want miles from them?

I am with M&M (no status, might just make FQ this year though) , but have a number of flights on US and UA coming up in August/September.

I was thinking if I could use this promo to my advantage but still getting miles credited to MM.

Specifically, will this US Silver get me
  • E+ on UA
  • priority boarding and 2x free luggage for me and a companion (same PNR) on both UA and US
  • Choice seats for me and a companion on US
  • check-in and security at premium lines for US and UA

Also, is there a chance of a domestic upgrade (from rather low fare classes) on US? I am aware there are probably going to be tons of silvers around due to this promo, but is it in theory possible?

And also very importantly, is there a way to take advantage of US Silver but get the miles still credited to MM?

I am aware these may be very newbielike questions, but I hope you guys can help me.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 2:39 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chris4096
Out of curiousity, do you know how they break the ties? Obviously first factor is status level, then what? EQM Miles from this year, miles from last year, lifetime EQM miles?
My understanding is that it is YTD EQM is the next tie-breaker after status (I think fare class may be before status, with distinctions only betwee full-fare and discount, not every single fare class). For example, I'm GP but I only have 5,343 YTD EQM, so I'm pretty much bottom of the GP barrel for upgrades, but I'll still win out over any Silver, even one with 49,999 YTD EQM.

Originally Posted by hwmorth
Specifically, will this US Silver get me
I'll try since no one else has yet, but my knowledge of US and *A is a bit rusty, so anyone feel free to correct me:
  • E+ on UA
Nope, no elites from US get this.
  • priority boarding and 2x free luggage for me and a companion (same PNR) on both UA and US
Yes on US, I think yes on UA as a *A Silver.
  • Choice seats for me and a companion on US
Yes
  • check-in and security at premium lines for US and UA
Yes on US, not sure on UA as *A Silver, I think maybe not.
Also, is there a chance of a domestic upgrade (from rather low fare classes) on US? I am aware there are probably going to be tons of silvers around due to this promo, but is it in theory possible?
Too many factors to say, but better than without the status.

And also very importantly, is there a way to take advantage of US Silver but get the miles still credited to MM?
If you get upgraded you must credit the miles to US according to the rules. Otherwise I think you should be able to get the other benefits and still credit to MM by switching to MM at the departure gate.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
If you get upgraded you must credit the miles to US according to the rules. Otherwise I think you should be able to get the other benefits and still credit to MM by switching to MM at the departure gate.
Can't you get upgraded at check-in by using your US status and mileage number and then change to UA MP/LH MM at the gate?
Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abcx
Can't you get upgraded at check-in by using your US status and mileage number and then change to UA MP/LH MM at the gate?
From the Preferred Upgrades page at USAirways.com:
Originally Posted by US Preferred Upgrade Terms
If you've received an upgrade, you must retain your Dividend Miles account number in your reservation in order to be seated in First Class.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
Thanks. But theory is one thing, I was more curious if in practice there is a way around that restriction...
Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abcx
Thanks. But theory is one thing, I was more curious if in practice there is a way around that restriction...
In practice, it sometimes works, but of does not, as it is clearly against the rules. See this thread for more discussion.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 1:19 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Thanks. I was directed to this promotion by another FT's tweet.
This will come in handy for my mother, who is flying UA next week (provided the status updates prior) and for me, as I'll register at the very end of the month (to then have status through the end of the year).
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hawaiian Air Fold, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum
Re: Getting the new Silver status added to existing reservations. It apparently is possible as my 3rd leg of this week's trip shows the status.

2 calls to the CSR line didn't find anybody aware of how to add the status to an existing reservation, but a 3rd call to a DM clerk did get it successfully added.

Thanks to all for the recommendation to try it.

Perry
Old Aug 12, 2009, 3:53 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by xanthuos
Thanks. I was directed to this promotion by another FT's tweet.
This will come in handy for my mother, who is flying UA next week (provided the status updates prior) and for me, as I'll register at the very end of the month (to then have status through the end of the year).
Last day to register is Aug. 31. If the status kicks in Sept. 1 you will only have status for 90 days or November 29. This promo will not carry you through the end of the year.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Just received my card and letter in the mail If you do 10 segments you get silver till feb 28th 2011.

7,500 miles or 10 segments silver preferred
15,000 miles or 20 segments gold

22,500 miles or 30 segments plat preferred
30,000 miles or 40 segments chairman preferred

So a pretty good deal imo if you need status for next year.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 6:21 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
Last day to register is Aug. 31. If the status kicks in Sept. 1 you will only have status for 90 days or November 29. This promo will not carry you through the end of the year.
Thanks. Brain fart on my part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.