Wiki Posts
Search

US 734 Off The Runway at TPA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

US 734 Off The Runway at TPA

Hi guys,

A US Airways 734 skidded off the runway at TPA.

Dan
Old Jun 27, 2009, 2:26 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
http://www.abcactionnews.com/content...5-jy4S08Q.cspx

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2...cident&cid=rss
Old Jun 27, 2009, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I wonder if they had Bridgestone tires....

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Jun 27, 2009 at 9:28 pm
Old Jun 27, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: US Airways CP, HH Diamond, National EE
I was picking up my son at TPA when this happened and could see it from the road leading to the terminal. Must have just occured when I passed by.

Plane was on the runway with 4 emergency vehicles surronding it and another 2 on the way.

According to preliminary reports, plane blew tire upon landing, leaving a trail of debris on the runway. No injuries reported.

My sons' Southwest flight, also from PHL, landed on time at 3:10, so it does not appear to have affected operations in anyway.

Glad no one was hurt, good job to Pilot and Crew.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I wonder if they had Bridgestone tires....
Yes, it was problems with front laning gear does not coming down. So the entire aircraft will have to be towed out of the runway. So it is everything is alright with passengers & the crew, too. I'm glad to hear the news today. So it will have to being fixed the landing gear.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 3:55 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by cite
...All 138 passengers and 5 crew members weren't injured and were taken to a secure area....
Who wrote this, a fourth grade student intern?

Sheeze.....
Old Jun 27, 2009, 4:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by swes540i
I was picking up my son at TPA when this happened and could see it from the road leading to the terminal. Must have just occured when I passed by.

Plane was on the runway with 4 emergency vehicles surronding it and another 2 on the way.

According to preliminary reports, plane blew tire upon landing, leaving a trail of debris on the runway. No injuries reported.

My sons' Southwest flight, also from PHL, landed on time at 3:10, so it does not appear to have affected operations in anyway.

Glad no one was hurt, good job to Pilot and Crew.
Runway must be closed until it is out of the way. That leaves them the Eastern runway (north-south direction) and the East-West direction runway. Use of the Eastern runway could get them into some noise abatement problems over the residential areas south of the airports. Planes have been taking off to the south all day.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 4:48 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
And there goes TPA's spotless accident record, at least it wasn't anything too bad.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 5:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KNRG
And there goes TPA's spotless accident record, at least it wasn't anything too bad.
Leave it to USAir to mess up the record
Old Jun 27, 2009, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLgrr
Leave it to USAir to mess up the record
Yeah, could be. I think the runway will be clearing sometime in late-evening. So what about the entire aircraft need to be fixed the landing gear or replacement new tires?
Old Jun 27, 2009, 8:52 pm

Programs: US SP,UA 1P, S-HH
A US Airways jet from Philadelphia blew its front tires during a rough landing at Tampa International Airport Saturday afternoon, leaving a trail of debris along the runway.

TV Pitchman Billy Mays was on board. He gave twitter followers a heads up from the runway.

One of the passengers was TV pitchman Billy Mays (the Oxy-Clean guy) who gave his twitter followers the heads up from the runway.

"Just had a close call landing in Tampa. The tires blew out on landing. Stuck in the plane on the runway. You can always count on US Air."

The 138 passengers and five crew members were all okay, although some did end up with a few bumps and bruises.

"There was a slam and we all went forward," passenger Cindy McGee told the Tampa Tribune. "We skidded. After a while, the pilot said we had a problem and to stay on the plane. A friend of mine who was sitting on the wing said that when we landed she saw something fly by her window," said McGee. "A little girl sitting next to me was crying," McGee said, "when she saw all the firemen around the plane."

The Boeing 737 came in for a landing about 2:45 p.m. with gear problems. Paramedics went out to the runway, which is standard procedure when airports get a report that an aircraft may have trouble landing.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by WashMan
A US Airways jet from Philadelphia blew its front tires during a rough landing at Tampa International Airport Saturday afternoon, leaving a trail of debris along the runway.

TV Pitchman Billy Mays was on board. He gave twitter followers a heads up from the runway.

One of the passengers was TV pitchman Billy Mays (the Oxy-Clean guy) who gave his twitter followers the heads up from the runway.

"Just had a close call landing in Tampa. The tires blew out on landing. Stuck in the plane on the runway. You can always count on US Air."

The 138 passengers and five crew members were all okay, although some did end up with a few bumps and bruises.

"There was a slam and we all went forward," passenger Cindy McGee told the Tampa Tribune. "We skidded. After a while, the pilot said we had a problem and to stay on the plane. A friend of mine who was sitting on the wing said that when we landed she saw something fly by her window," said McGee. "A little girl sitting next to me was crying," McGee said, "when she saw all the firemen around the plane."

The Boeing 737 came in for a landing about 2:45 p.m. with gear problems. Paramedics went out to the runway, which is standard procedure when airports get a report that an aircraft may have trouble landing.
A couple of quick observations....

So if Billy Mays was on board, I am sure he had an extra vat of OXY CLEAN with him to help clean up the runway skid marks... Isn't he also selling insurance these days?

I want to know why this woman's friend was sitting on the wing... Is she in the smoking section of the 737?
Old Jun 27, 2009, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I want to know why this woman's friend was sitting on the wing... Is she in the smoking section of the 737?
No. No smoking allowed onboard the aircraft. It against the federal laws. Smoking is prohibited. She will wait go outside at the terminal. Then she will have to smoke outisde by the smoking areas.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 5:08 am
Original Poster

I spoke with a good friend and the plane was towed to the Former US Airways Hanger at TPA now operated by PEMCO.

If I get more info I will update,
Dan
Old Jun 28, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by N830MH
No. No smoking allowed onboard the aircraft. It against the federal laws. Smoking is prohibited. She will wait go outside at the terminal. Then she will have to smoke outisde by the smoking areas.
C'mon. I think Crazyhotelguy was being sarcastic.

So if Billy Mays was on board, I am sure he had an extra vat of OXY CLEAN with him to help clean up the runway skid marks... Isn't he also selling insurance these days?
Yup...and a little bit of Mighty Putty should be able to put those front tires back together...good as new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.