Wiki Posts
Search

Help me burn some miles

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
Help me burn some miles

I'm taking some time off finally July 3 - 11. I want to burn some US DM miles but I just don't know where to go.

I started researching yesterday but nothing really excited me except for going to Athens or Sydney.

I have 500,000 remaining US DM miles and TONS of points in Hilton.

Any suggestions? This will be a trip by myself. I need to just get away. I am turning 45 during that week and I recently lost my Mom so I need to "just get away".

OH yeah......Caribbean island or Hawaii has no appeal to me. I live in FLL. I'm at the beach often and don't find exchanging 1 beach for another to be a good use of miles and points.
Old May 15, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by trvlr64
I'm taking some time off finally July 3 - 11. I want to burn some US DM miles but I just don't know where to go.

I started researching yesterday but nothing really excited me except for going to Athens or Sydney.

I have 500,000 remaining US DM miles and TONS of points in Hilton.

Any suggestions? This will be a trip by myself. I need to just get away. I am turning 45 during that week and I recently lost my Mom so I need to "just get away".

OH yeah......Caribbean island or Hawaii has no appeal to me. I live in FLL. I'm at the beach often and don't find exchanging 1 beach for another to be a good use of miles and points.
I'm very sorry for your loss. If Sydney piques your interest, I would highly recommend New Zealand. It's excruciatingly beautiful and the experience can be quite spiritual. Low population density and not many tourists that time of year. Try to get business class on Air New Zealand, great value for your miles! Good luck.
Old May 15, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: US-Chairman, Hyatt_Diamond
Originally Posted by trvlr64
It is different for each person, but I am thinking of Johanasburgh, South Africa, or the United Arab Emerits.
Old May 15, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
You might also consider a Round The World trip (200k Coach, 300k Business, 400k First), if you really enjoy flying. You could see a lot of different places that way. It's probably too short of a time to fully take advantage of it, though.
Old May 15, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, USAir Silver, National Exec Elite
My condolences

Sounds like Sydney or Athens are the 2 places that excited you the most, go with your gut on this. I've travelled solo a lot and I will read a book (fiction) that takes place in the town, or country and try to visit some of the areas that the characters were at. It's kind of corny but I have enjoyed many a trip that way.
Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.