Wiki Posts
Search

On-line vs. phone booking price dichotomy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
On-line vs. phone booking price dichotomy

We're heading from PHL-SAT in March to attend our son's graduation from AF basic training. I look at several routings to get there from PHL. We elect a PHL-CLT-SAT routing. We find direct CLT-SAT flights and because of our own time constraints, we'll fly to CLT on a Wed evening & will catch the CLT-SAT flight the next morning.

Using the on-line multi-city tool produces several choices which accomodate our needs and at a total price of $585 each. After tracking this down, I call reservations to book the flights as we have a $100 E-ACP voucher. The same itinerary booked by a human being comes to over $1000 each. The agent says this is because of the broken itineray from PHL-CLT. I point out to her that given the evening hours that we fly, there is no flight/connect from CLT-SAT on the same date of departure, so I do not get how the system automatically jacks up the PHL-CLT leg while the on-line system seamlessly accomodates the flight itinerary at half the price.

Obviously, I go back on-line and book that way instead. Buyer beware when you try to book multi-city trips on different days. That said, I'm satisfied with the on-line price we get.

Barry
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:25 pm

My experience is that you can often get the Website support desk to match the online fare and then book with them.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
I have had this happen on many of the vouchers I have redeemed. Could not hurt to try website support.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.