Community
Wiki Posts
Search

News Article - Interview with Parker about 1549

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
News Article - Interview with Parker about 1549

http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...rways0128.html

This was posted on our local news site this evening. It gives a limited view into what actually happens at the corporate office during one of these incidents.

Two questions come to mind in reading this.

1) Does US own any 'business jets' for executive use? Like a Gulfstream or similar? Do other airlines?

2) I assume they took a standard aircraft to LGA. They cannot fly from PHX? Perimeter rule?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:57 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by Nicksta
http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...rways0128.html

This was posted on our local news site this evening. It gives a limited view into what actually happens at the corporate office during one of these incidents.

Two questions come to mind in reading this.

1) Does US own any 'business jets' for executive use? Like a Gulfstream or similar? Do other airlines?

2) I assume they took a standard aircraft to LGA. They cannot fly from PHX? Perimeter rule?
According to usaviation and flightaware, they took a 757 to LGA. Never got a real good answer, but I'm assuming the Port waived the perimeter rule for a nonrevenue flight.

And I wondered the same thing--I have to believe chartering a G-V is cheaper than running a 757 PHX-LGA and back.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
According to usaviation and flightaware, they took a 757 to LGA. Never got a real good answer, but I'm assuming the Port waived the perimeter rule for a nonrevenue flight.

And I wondered the same thing--I have to believe chartering a G-V is cheaper than running a 757 PHX-LGA and back.
I don't believe the perimeter rule applies to non-scheduled (charter) operations. The Yankees have flown SEA-LGA before on a Continental 757 returning from a West Coast road trip.

As for chartering a G-V vs running a 757 PHX-LGA and back, a couple of things to consider. First is the cost for simply being able to use the aircraft - the companies that own the G-V (or whatever plane would be used) earn a pretty penny from having someone use that plane. US Airways wouldn't be paying a penny of those costs. Secondly, US has much more availability using their own plane - they can be much more in tune with when they want the plane to go than having to rely on a third party, where they might have to fly the plane in from it's base city (US has plenty of planes based in PHX), deal with more crew rest requirements (not hard to get a fresh 757 crew to NYC), etc.

For most companies, chartering a G-V would most likely be cheaper than a 757. The lone exception to that would be the airline industry.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:52 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
A few follow on points...

1.) Part 121 scheduled air carrier ops are affected by the perimeter rule at LGA. Part 91 (general aviation/non charter/non scheduled) and Part 135 (On-demand/air taxi/charter) are free to fly into LGA from any domestic US destination. It is much simpler to slap a 9xxx flight number onto one of their own aircraft and fly it under part 91 rules when not flying any revenue passengers. It would be no different than me or you living in PHX, owning our own private 757, and flying it to LGA. If it flew under their normal part 121, I would suspect an emergency FAA waiver was granted with little dispute.

2.) The team that US took from PHX was likely rather large. Most G-V's are outfitted with a comfortable number of seats (like maybe 14 at most). There really aren't many other business jets with more seats unless you count the Boeing BBJ (i.e a 737 variant) or a modified 727, DC 9, etc. None of those would make sense, given the likely costs when they could fly their own and even turn it around in LGA for a revenue flight. Of course, they'd need to commandeer a subsequent aircraft when they were ready to fly back to PHX. Or, the team could fly back to PHX as dead heads on normally scheduled flights (with a connection, of course). This might even be likely if they were all returning at different times. The key was getting them there quickly. There are many more options to get the team back home.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:24 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Wonder if the drinks were free?
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
The article said the emergency response 'care team' that accompanied Parker on the flight consisted of approximately four dozen people, so whichever of their own aircraft that they had available would obviously make the most sense.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:21 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Wonder if the drinks were free?
Heaven flight!! No whiny former US Airways passengers who are obsessed with their hatefest and are mentally ill!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
To me the 757 makes the most sense.

On another note Parker heard about this from CNN which is not unusual. I was also working & got a phone call from our very own me4yankees which went to vm & I had to listen 3 times just to grasp what she was saying before I called her back.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
"Executives were without updates during the several-hour flight."

Boy, I'll bet for those few hours Doug Parker was wishing that US had invested in inflight connectivity.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SS255
"Executives were without updates during the several-hour flight."

Boy, I'll bet for those few hours Doug Parker was wishing that US had invested in inflight connectivity.
That part of the article really left me curious. The cockpit should be able to contact the USair ops department on the radio. I'm sure the ops folks were keeping up to date and could have relayed info for the care team.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.