Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CLT-LIR

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2009, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles Preferred-Gold, HHonors- Diamond , Priority Club-Gold, Emerald Club- Executive
CLT-LIR

I was messing around on the US site and surprisingly I found one non-stop flight to LIR (Liberia, Costa Rica), once a week on Saturdays. Has anyone ever taken this flight? I know most people take US to SJO, but my boss has a condo on the west coast of Costa Rica only about 20 minutes from Liberia. He said the airport is very small but easy to get in/out. It would be great to fly there non-stop from CLT if me and my family decide to take my boss up on his offer to stay at his condo.

If you've taken this flight (CLT-LIR) or been in this area, let me know about your experience.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Driving in rural Costa Rica is not a joy. The scenery can be fantastic but the pavement is just horrific if you spend much time off the PanAmerican hway. I would certainly fly into LIR (I have been in the area) in contrast to SJO and driving a couple of hours.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 9:24 pm

I just got back from 6 days in Playa Conchal. Definately fly into LIR. It's a 5+ hour drive to the region from SJO in good conditions. The airport itself is a hoot, it's open-air and is really 2 open warehouses. There are plans to build a modern facility complete with jetways, etc. There are plenty of car rental companies in the vicinity, as well as an ample bus system.

The only problem I foresee you having is that the US flight arrives right smack in the middle of when all of the other Saturday flights arrive, so there may be a wait for baggage on their one carousel and at immigration (5 stands). On the departure side, there will be a long line to pay the departure tax (3 windows) and there is only 1 security screening lane. The kicker is you can take liquids through, but they will confiscate them at the gate screening during the boarding process.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
SJO is an international gateway at the edge of a sprawling, congested metropolis; LIR is a friendly regional airport near where you're actually going. If your boss's place were 20 minutes from GSP, would you fly into GSP or RDU? Actually, that's not a great analogy. There is actually a potential difference in the aircraft and service level between, say, PHL-GSP vs. PHL-RDU. There isn't between CLT-LIR and CLT-SJO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.