Wiki Posts
Search

Cardinals and Steelers Planes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
Cardinals and Steelers Planes

Doesn't US have both Cardnals and Steelers painted jets? How interesting that both will be facing each other on February 1 at the Super Bowl?

Does US have the "Official Airline" designator of either team?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I believe NW is the official airline of the Arizona Cardinals. It had been HP, but HP got tired of the team trashing their planes, the team didn't like that HP couldn't always take planes out of regular rotation for them.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:16 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
From the US website:
http://usairways.com/awa/content/abo...nsorships.aspx
Professional sports
US Airways is the official airline for the Arizona Cardinals and Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League, the Arizona Diamondbacks of Major League Baseball and the Phoenix Coyotes of the National Hockey League.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
As should be expected from US, mirroring their hub move, they switched allegiances to become the official carrier of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2004.
http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0...l-Airline.html

The did put the Steelers' colors on a plane in late '07. I assume it's still around. I've never seen it here in PIT as it was a real, non-RJ aircraft.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:05 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by CPRich
As should be expected from US, mirroring their hub move, they switched allegiances to become the official carrier of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2004.
http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0...l-Airline.html

The did put the Steelers' colors on a plane in late '07. I assume it's still around. I've never seen it here in PIT as it was a real, non-RJ aircraft.

It is still around and is frequently seen in CLT.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:56 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
I think that US still supports the Steelers but not to the extent of the Eagles or Cardinals.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US UA AA DL CO
Not sure if they do it now that is' USAirways, but both America West and Southwest would do a lot of TEAM SPIRIT days at the airport. They would allow their agents to dress in team jerseys. Would be interesting if they did that again, considering the cities/teams playing each other in the Super Bowl!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: US Plat, DL Gold, WN when needed, PC Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
US has planes for the Cardinals, Steelers, Eagles, and the Panthers. I believe all are A319's. I have ridden all of them at one time or another.

It is kind of a tribute to the hubs, and their former hub in Pittsburgh. I don't believe it has anything to do with an official relationship with the ball club.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 4:26 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by cwe84
From the US website:
http://usairways.com/awa/content/abo...nsorships.aspx
Professional sports
US Airways is the official airline for the Arizona Cardinals and Philadelphia Eagles of the National Football League, the Arizona Diamondbacks of Major League Baseball and the Phoenix Coyotes of the National Hockey League.
Side note: Being the official airline of a team is strictly a marketing concept. This doesn't mean the airline is also the contracted charter operator to transport the team.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tucker501
Not sure if they do it now that is' USAirways, but both America West and Southwest would do a lot of TEAM SPIRIT days at the airport. They would allow their agents to dress in team jerseys. Would be interesting if they did that again, considering the cities/teams playing each other in the Super Bowl!
I am pretty sure they still do this. I know in CLT and DCA they do atleast...
Old Jan 19, 2009, 5:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
I for one would LOVE to see the Steelers kick major butt at the Super Bowl!!

I can't help but think of it as a slight to Doug and to Tempe for what they did to PIT.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:09 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
Side note: Being the official airline of a team is strictly a marketing concept. This doesn't mean the airline is also the contracted charter operator to transport the team.
Since this is the case, does US fly any of the teams for which they are the official airline?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 6:09 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
A photo I have of the Arizona Cardinals plane taking off in PHX.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: US Plat, DL Gold, WN when needed, PC Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
I for one would LOVE to see the Steelers kick major butt at the Super Bowl!!

I can't help but think of it as a slight to Doug and to Tempe for what they did to PIT.
You bring up an interesting angle to this game. I wonder if US will have both those planes fly into TPA at some point, or even on the big day.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by PHL
It's non-football but it proves the point: the NJ Devils have CO for an official airline, but they fly on an ex-PE 727-200 private charter. Also, the Jacksonville Jaguars use a World Airways DC-10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.