Search

FRA on US or UA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2009, 4:45 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz Gold
FRA on US or UA?

I've never travelled internationally on US or UA. And, usually my client books my flights and I don't get a choice of carrier. But, on an upcoming trip to FRA I am considering US. Am I nuts? Should I instead book UA, and get US miles? There is a small price difference, but I'm traveling with my daughter and comfort plays a big role here. I want to get a jump on status and pay for the trip using the good fares available now, as opposed to using miles, and I traditionally like AA or CO. But, given the choice of UA or US, what should I do?
Old Jan 17, 2009, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Many factors play into the decision.

Are you flying coach or First/Business/Envoy?
In coach, UA B767 and B777 have seatback individual IFE, B747 has overhead projector just like US 767. But US A330 has AVOD. Unless you are UA elite, you will not able to secure E+ ahead of time for free. Other way is to buy up to E+ or hope for OPUP.

In Business/Envoy, chances are good in getting UA new lay flat BC seat to FRA on B747 and B767. Otherwise, US Envoy is a little bit than UA old config BC seat.

Do you have a choice of direct and connecting flights?
I would prefer direct flight unless connecting flights provide significant more miles and you have a comfortable layover time (about 2 hours).

Other factor – UA has a lot more flights to FRA than US’s two to three daily flights in case of Irrops.

So in summary, I would pick US only if I live in PHL or CLT. Otherwise, I go with UA.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 9:40 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz Gold
I am SP only with US, nothing with UA. Does UA give me any perks for the *A elite on US? I know they don't upgrade to F domestic.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Although UA or LH might provide better overall service among *A choices, you can save big $$ if you can book in/out of PHX, as US is currently offering a fare of $374 all-in on many dates. Plus as an SP you have the chance of upgrading on the domestic segments.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sistertodd
I am SP only with US, nothing with UA. Does UA give me any perks for the *A elite on US? I know they don't upgrade to F domestic.
AFAIK the only advantage is earlier boarding.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:54 am

Programs: LH HON Circle, Premier M&M World MC, UA MP
It doesn't seem you are flying First or Envoy (US). If so, UA. If you're flying FC, take US Air so you can get the hotel at FRA for 6h.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.