Friend missed flight and hit with $150 fee

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2008, 2:20 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Friend missed flight and hit with $150 fee

to confirm the return portion of the flight he'd already paid for. According to what I was told, he got to the ticket counter 20 mins before departure and, obviously, missed the flight this morning. Due to the Thanksgiving cutbacks, there was no other available flight today, so he was offered accommodation tomorrow, which he declined in favor of taking a WN flight today. However, US hit him up for a $150 change fee to keep the return portion of his ticket. This seems overly harsh, and my question is whether this is permissible and whether there's any recourse for him to recoup the $150.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 3:17 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by us2
to confirm the return portion of the flight he'd already paid for. According to what I was told, he got to the ticket counter 20 mins before departure and, obviously, missed the flight this morning. Due to the Thanksgiving cutbacks, there was no other available flight today, so he was offered accommodation tomorrow, which he declined in favor of taking a WN flight today. However, US hit him up for a $150 change fee to keep the return portion of his ticket. This seems overly harsh, and my question is whether this is permissible and whether there's any recourse for him to recoup the $150.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Since he opted to take another carriers flight his ticket had to be re-ticketed into a one-way ticket from a round trip. He was lucky they only charged him the $150. Had the agent stuck to the policy which is to refare and reticket he probably would have had to pay alot more. Short notice one way fares can be expensive...
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
That's happened to me before (the airline messed up, and I messed up, and the result was that my return ticket was cancelled).

I just bought a 1-way ticket home on another airline- I was out about $100 or so, but at least another airline got my money.

I think I got a voucher or something out of the whole ordeal, but I don't remember- but in my case the airline had royally messed up, too.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 5:29 pm
Suspended

It is sooooo too bad that US is killing itself by just not being able to connect with, partner with, and understand the importance of their revenue stream (passengers). Whether this is common practice or not, it is unethical. US already collected the fare for your friend's outbound flight. Whether he was on it or not is not material. Charging an additional "$150 missed flight fee" is moronic.

US is the one who decided to do "Thanksgiving cutbacks" leaving your friend no other choice for flying them today. THAT is US's fault. But, then again, so are all of their other anti-customer "cutbacks".

AA and DL have both "preserved" my return flights...at no cost...under the same exact circumstance during the last 20 months.

This is just another example of artificial price supports having no basis in reality. With these silly moves, US is continuing it's self-administered IV poisonous drip that will eventually send them to the grave.

Your friend already gave them cash for something that he did not receive. Since US does not hand out $150 checks for the thousands of passenegers they strand every year due to cancelled flights, collecting $150 from your friend underv this circumstance is fundamentally inappropriate, proving their stupidity and inability to successfully run their enterprise.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 5:32 pm

Also, FWIW, I've arrived at the airport (LGA) 19 minutes before takeoff and after discovering that the kiosks won't let you check in that late, had to be checked in by a ticket agent, and I didn't have a problem getting on the flight. I assume US has a new rule re: check-in times- am I wrong?
Old Nov 27, 2008, 5:56 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Also, FWIW, I've arrived at the airport (LGA) 19 minutes before takeoff and after discovering that the kiosks won't let you check in that late, had to be checked in by a ticket agent, and I didn't have a problem getting on the flight. I assume US has a new rule re: check-in times- am I wrong?
It really depends on the airport. In LGA you can make the shuttle under that time frame but not other flights.

30 minutes prior gate takes control of flight.
30-20 minutes prior boarding begins
15-10 minutes prior standbys cleared and flight begins final
10-7 minutes prior flight closed and final counts to the crew
5 minutes prior door closes

This isn't new it has been around for a long time it just seems that people ignore it...
Old Nov 27, 2008, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by here2thereinAZ
It is sooooo too bad that US is killing itself by just not being able to connect with, partner with, and understand the importance of their revenue stream (passengers). Whether this is common practice or not, it is unethical. US already collected the fare for your friend's outbound flight. Whether he was on it or not is not material. Charging an additional "$150 missed flight fee" is moronic.

US is the one who decided to do "Thanksgiving cutbacks" leaving your friend no other choice for flying them today. THAT is US's fault. But, then again, so are all of their other anti-customer "cutbacks".

AA and DL have both "preserved" my return flights...at no cost...under the same exact circumstance during the last 20 months.

This is just another example of artificial price supports having no basis in reality. With these silly moves, US is continuing it's self-administered IV poisonous drip that will eventually send them to the grave.

Your friend already gave them cash for something that he did not receive. Since US does not hand out $150 checks for the thousands of passenegers they strand every year due to cancelled flights, collecting $150 from your friend underv this circumstance is fundamentally inappropriate, proving their stupidity and inability to successfully run their enterprise.
I don't think its unethical to charge a fee that has been spelled out in the contract of carriage which is legally binding and the op's friend should have read that before deciding for whatever reason to miss his flight. As for a HOLIDAY schedule which is common practice with ALL airlines the schedule was published for obvious reasons. Why should an airline fly a plane with two people on it from point A to B when it can just not operate it and not sell tickets on it...

I don't get why you defend his friend when he was the one that showed up late. Had US held the plane for him there would have been a flame thread on here about how US held the flight for 2 minutes and I lost that time in the club...
Old Nov 27, 2008, 7:12 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by cwe84
I don't think its unethical to charge a fee that has been spelled out in the contract of carriage which is legally binding and the op's friend should have read that before deciding for whatever reason to miss his flight. As for a HOLIDAY schedule which is common practice with ALL airlines the schedule was published for obvious reasons. Why should an airline fly a plane with two people on it from point A to B when it can just not operate it and not sell tickets on it...

I don't get why you defend his friend when he was the one that showed up late. Had US held the plane for him there would have been a flame thread on here about how US held the flight for 2 minutes and I lost that time in the club...
OK, maybe it wasn't "unethical" -- but it is still uncalled for. There is need to charge $150 to "preserve" an already booked flight.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 7:45 pm

Well, it's customary for an airline to cancel the return portion of a trip if the outbound flight isn't taken, and it's customary to charge a change fee to use an unused ticket. It stinks, but that happens. When the same thing happened to me (although due in part to the airline's fault) and I was going to get hit with a change fee, I recall the ticket agent asking me for various facts that would have gotten around having to pay the change fee- "was it weather-related?" (unfortunately not), etc., so it's unfortunate that your friend wasn't able to find a way not to pay the fee in the first place.

(The flight I made when I arrived at LGA 19 minutes before departure was not the Shuttle- it was a regular mainline flight, although it was a Saturday morning and the airport was pretty empty.)
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If he missed the flight did they even have to offer to accomodate on another flight?
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:16 pm

It appears that at least part of the situation was caused by US Airways.

I would call/write the eecutive office asking for written clarification of the rules given the specifics of the situation and if application of the fees was correctly applied and why.

This will get you an off point form letter response. Take a copy of the form letter and your narrative and why you feel you should not be charged and dispute the charge on your credit card. At the very same time file a complaint with the AZ Attorney General and include the credit card dispute. Throw in a DOT complaint as well.

US Airways will at minimum have to expend time and resources to address your concerns with multiple organizations. Even if they are 100% right they will have expensed far more in Labor Costs addressing your concerns then they collected from you.

If enough customers begin to flex their muscles in the above manner the cost in time and resources will impact their operations and perhaps they will alter their policies. If we remain silent we lose as consumers. Since it is clear that Tempe hates Elites let's at least give them a reason
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:27 pm

Yes they offered to put him on one the next day as today was a limited sked for the holiday.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cwe84

The point is this: If US does not hand out $150 checks when they make mistakes, it is unethical for them to charge people for their occasional mistakes. "Customary practice" within US is what is causing their failure.

As far as I am concerned, if I have a ticket I am on the plane. And, in my earlier posting it was clear that both DL and AA agreed with me. US simply needs to start running its business in a manner that drives more legitimate...and much better...financial performance. They are strangling on their thousands of rules intended only to screw the customer.

They should raise their view of their revenue sources to some spot above the septic tank, and change their contract of carriage. The OP's friend already had a paid ticket for the return flight. For US (or any other carrier) to build in a dozen moving parts into the COC and fare rules for the express purpose of always taking more money from passengers IS unethical. It is also smarmy.

Regarding empty planes on holdays and resulting silly schedule reductions, please remember that WN was the one that had additional flights going while US had shut down. Maybe, just maybe that is why WN performs so much better in terms of brand, market respect, and financial performance.

Did you hear that US operated NONE of their TATL flights today??? So much for this alleged international airline. BA, DL, AA and LH operated 75% to 90% of theirs.

US shoukld either get into their business or get out of it, instead of trying to extract an extra $150, with no additional service provided, from the OP's friend. They are majoring in minors.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by PineyBob
It appears that at least part of the situation was caused by US Airways.

I would call/write the eecutive office asking for written clarification of the rules given the specifics of the situation and if application of the fees was correctly applied and why.

This will get you an off point form letter response. Take a copy of the form letter and your narrative and why you feel you should not be charged and dispute the charge on your credit card. At the very same time file a complaint with the AZ Attorney General and include the credit card dispute. Throw in a DOT complaint as well.

US Airways will at minimum have to expend time and resources to address your concerns with multiple organizations. Even if they are 100% right they will have expensed far more in Labor Costs addressing your concerns then they collected from you.

If enough customers begin to flex their muscles in the above manner the cost in time and resources will impact their operations and perhaps they will alter their policies. If we remain silent we lose as consumers. Since it is clear that Tempe hates Elites let's at least give them a reason
I hope they do fight it if he chooses your route. He missed his plane he knew that the schedule was limited because of the holiday. IT WAS HIS FAULT!!!
It never ceases to amaze me that when it is our fault you call us out on it but when its yours you cut a hissy fit because big bad US is enforcing published rules...
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
The $150 change fee is charged by most airlines. I checked the fare rules on nonrefundible tickets on US, AA and CO. In fact on the USairways site its listed right on the purchase page. The other airlines I had to dig a little.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.