FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   MERGED THREADS - CONFIRMED: US Airways Bonus Miles To Return (Retroactive) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/890433-merged-threads-confirmed-us-airways-bonus-miles-return-retroactive.html)

vysean Nov 20, 2008 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by cliffgil (Post 10786635)
On the changes, does the brings Preferred change to partners like Hertz? I still get these miles, but on August 1st, these stopped counting toward preferred. Does anyone know if the is impacted???

I don't believe these should have ever counted towards preferred status, other than during temporary promotions...

CoMooter Nov 20, 2008 4:58 pm

I thought US customers cared mainly about upgrades due to their surveys earlier...so much for that claptrap.

This pathetic show reminds me of prior stunts when DL had to back down from Uncle Leo's attempt(s) to gut their FF program even more. They might win a little more sympathy from their customer base if there was even a hint of 'whoops' or 'sorry' in this PR note. This must have just occurred out of the blue from looking at their official statements.

Granted, I am long gone from the DM program (still have to fly US somewhat frequently but those BIS miles go into my MP account) but the fact that it took them over half a year to noodle the negative effects of this through tell me quite a bit about who is theoretically running this airline and what they think of their customers not withstanding their 'surveys'.

They gambled the most and they lost the most when no one else even remotely matched what they tried to impose.

Ooops.

romadaro Nov 20, 2008 5:31 pm

Too late....I took my last flight in August to earn Platinum when they eliminated the bonuses. Now, I can't make Chairman's because I buy my tickets in advance and I'm ticketed on Delta and Continental for the remainder of the year, so I'm screwed. This was a dumb decision to begin with because several people defected to other carriers and now that we've tasted the good life and being treated with respect and appreciation for our loyalty, we're staying! I NEVER thought I'd leave US after being Chairman's/Gold Preferred for 100 years, but now I know there IS life after USAIR!

intheairagain Nov 20, 2008 5:47 pm

Very good move! Its a first step!

KevAZ Nov 20, 2008 7:30 pm

Received this news in an email from FFOCUS.

All I can say about this latest news which has the impact of a mosquito fart in a hurricane is: "whistling past the graveyard."

It will be a bright day in a rotten economy when FT's and WSJ's headlines proclaim the permanent end to US Airways.

No idea why any employee would have stayed with them in a solid economy, but it's now too late for them in most cases.

What's it called, "collateral damage"?

Ah well, stuff happens.

Send me another email when the wake is scheduled.

EileenSRN Nov 20, 2008 8:11 pm

Things are looking up

Welcome Fern! I hope you'll be a frequent contributer, not just a lurker. Very glad to see the 500 minimum and bonus miles reinstated. Over this year hubby tried another airline highly recommended in this forum, but what he/we found was US air had friendlier, more helpful people in the markets he/we passed through. It's the first time in years we weren't sitting in an exit row, if not upgraded. Are we 100% pleased with USAir? No. Charging for beverages, baggage, all of the other fees, hubby believes is a poor way to do business. If we have to pay an extra $5 or $10 for a ticket, we'd rather pay it than be nickled and dimed to death. He wanted to stay because of the people, reinstating the miles, made it feasible for us to do so. Now he wants to shoot for Plat for next year! ;)

dchirsch Nov 20, 2008 8:34 pm

This helps me a little, since I am (mostly) captive at PHL. But I'm still trying to figure out who is buying all the First Class seats...I haven't gotten upgraded on my last two cross-country trips, even though I am CP and check in exactly 24 hours before the flight!

I just wish they would recognize us in coach and at least comp the water...if we show our DM card...or send out some free water coupons. Even WN sends me free drink coupons now and again.

It burns me on principle...I like the idea of paying with coins :-) but it just makes it a pain for the FA. Maybe I'll try dollar coins.

I will not be CP next year, even with the retro upgrade. Might make Platinum. I like the idea of them keeping our current status another year...at least if we qualified on a partial year basis, but I won't hold my breath :-)

Still trying to decide the best alternative out of PHL...

Alphaguy Nov 20, 2008 9:25 pm

I'm going to make GP, but drop from CP to PP to GP.... not much I can do, but if DL matched to PLT I would likely be gone according to my wife!
:eek:

Originally Posted by romadaro (Post 10786949)
Too late....I took my last flight in August to earn Platinum when they eliminated the bonuses. Now, I can't make Chairman's because I buy my tickets in advance and I'm ticketed on Delta and Continental for the remainder of the year, so I'm screwed. This was a dumb decision to begin with because several people defected to other carriers and now that we've tasted the good life and being treated with respect and appreciation for our loyalty, we're staying! I NEVER thought I'd leave US after being Chairman's/Gold Preferred for 100 years, but now I know there IS life after USAIR!

Crazyhotelguy Nov 20, 2008 9:44 pm

Milage Credit Confusion

Just curious if anyone else has seen the credits hit their account yet? I have received the bonus miles, but have not received the 500 minimum credit. The issue that I can already see is that I received the Gold 50% bonus on the actual miles... not the minimums.... Am I jumping the gun or is this part of the fine print that I missed.???:confused:

AZ Travels the World Nov 20, 2008 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by CoMooter (Post 10786794)
. . . They might win a little more sympathy from their customer base if there was even a hint of 'whoops' or 'sorry' in this PR note. . .

I had a different reaction. I found it refreshing that they were matter-of-fact, rather than the insulting, folksy crap from the Travis Christ administration.

To me, it was the decision that was important -- not the spin.

I have no illusions. US does not care about me -- it is, and has been, all about the numbers. I'm just happy that the numbers finally drove a decision that served me.

AZ Travels the World Nov 20, 2008 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy (Post 10788077)
. . . Am I jumping the gun or is this part of the fine print that I missed.?

I would suggest 'jumping the gun.'

The e-mail said that the changes would appear in our December statements. Today is Day One. I'm willing to give them a little time to sort through it.

I was impressed that some of the miles started appearing today. This IT bunch has not exactly demonstrated best-in-class performance.

solidcactus Nov 20, 2008 10:02 pm

In my opinion, more important than bringing back the 500 minimum is the fact that Mr Fernandez took the time to post here. Thank you. Corporate communications is something that is really missing at US.

The best thing US could do is to get involved in participating in these forums. This is the Internet age. We now live in different times. Of course you don't need to solve the world's problems in a public venue - but you know what... When someone complains to the masses, and believe me, THOUSANDS of people lurk in these forums, like me, but rarely post. When a company representative posts something like, "Im sorry about that Ms. Jones, I'll send you a PM, and follow up with you offline about your issue"... It speaks VOLUMES for how the average customer views your company.

When I was flying US, US never did anything to make me feel valued as a customer. If I saw something that wasn't right, I would send a letter to Tempe. They would send me a voucher for like $25. I didn't want a voucher... I wanted someone to actually read my letter, and acknowledge the issue. When I was flying US, I really cared about US. US had many customers like me that really loved this company. I would feel guilty when I flew on another carrier. In return, US started treating me like nothing more than a number.

I moved to CO. From day one, I can't tell you how incredible they are. After I status matched, the wonderful guy from corporate, who often posts on Flyer Talk, took time out of his day to personally email answers to my questions to me. Within two weeks, I was a skilled CO elite. I understood all the policies, how to work the website, etc.

Its a shame US pushed so many of us away. I will stay loyal to CO as long as they continue to appreciate my business. But the reality is, I didn't need to find out how much I was going to love CO. US had me... US pushed me away, and forced me to see how much better CO is.

So in summary, while this is a good start, US needs to seriously start to pay attention to what their customers think. US has the ability to right these wrongs. Show your customers that you care about their business. You don't need to do what people say, or change your policies to make your customers happy - but you do need to communicate with your customers, and EXPLAIN your actions, and take the time to show that you care.

dsldog400 Nov 20, 2008 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World (Post 10788092)
To me, it was the decision that was important -- not the spin.

I have no illusions. US does not care about me -- it is, and has been, all about the numbers. I'm just happy that the numbers finally drove a decision that served me.

A rational thought that I agree with.

How it started.

About 7 years ago, I signed up for about 4 FF programs, flew infrequently, and had a few miles everywhere but nothing for an award. Then I finally had enough miles for an AS award, booked a trip to San Diego as a launch point for a few days in Mexico, but got so busy with my job that I forgot to go! Still have the paper award ticket.

After the US/HP merger when the programs were combined, I realized how many miles I had in US DM, so I flew them when they were close to the cheapest price. After I had some more miles, I started flying them even if they weren't the cheapest to get the miles, and picked trips that gave the extra plane changes in both LAS & PHX.

I think it was in late 2005 at SJC, I was called by the gate agent (wow, they called my name! that's me! am I famous now?) just before the flight to LAS & she asked to see my boarding pass. I was then handed a pass for seat 1B, as she said "You're Silver, so you get this as a courtesy". The DM SP card & packet of stuff showed up about two weeks later. I hadn't paid much attention to the status codes, just miles, and didn't even know that I had made Silver. I'm a learner, and I liked the big seats up front better, so I kept flying US mostly (even when they weren't cheapest).

I quit flying US June 1, and sent one letter stating that I didn't like the changes, and would concentrate my travel on a couple of other carriers that I felt gave me more benefit for my loyalty. US had treated me well, but now was giveng me and other FF's a message to not fly them. "Message Received, out!" I didn't take their misguided decisions personally, I just quit flying them. Nor did I rant, rave & abandon ship.

Now that they have made a change in restoring some benefits that formerly made me a loyal customer, & which we all called to be reinstated, I will show a small courtesy & write US a letter acknowledging (not thanking them for) the changes, and I will begin flying US a little bit next month, when it is convenient for me and doesn't interfere with my AA Gold Challenge. Maybe I'll maintain staus for 2010, maybe not.

dsldog400 Nov 20, 2008 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by KevAZ (Post 10787455)
Received this news in an email from FFOCUS.

All I can say about this latest news which has the impact of a mosquito fart in a hurricane is: "whistling past the graveyard."

It will be a bright day in a rotten economy when FT's and WSJ's headlines proclaim the permanent end to US Airways.

Send me another email when the wake is scheduled.

GETTING REAL TIRED OF READING THESE FOR THE LAST 5 MONTHS !!!

Quoted as a typical example of the posters who hate US and have loudly announced to us how green the other pastures are. I'm not in love with US and they don't really notice me, but I'm just a small fry that used to fly US, quit on June 1, and now with the announced changes will fly just a little bit.

I counted about 35 FF program forums here of FT. I fly on about five airlines, and rarely visit, let alone post on forums of the 30 that I don't fly on. So to all of you former US flyers who for some reason have issues with the fact the US planes still take off & land every day despite your having moved on, why do you even post here? Rather than keep bashing US and insulting the employees who choose to work there, just go somewhere else and post praises to your new-found FF programs.

(MODS: Feel free to remove posts that are just plain negative and have no constructive content.)

From both a customer and business standpoint, US has a lot of issues to deal with if they are to avoid collasping. If only by luck & not craftiness, in 2008 US has managed to maintain decent loadings, keep revenue coming in (if only from selling water) and survive to see lower fuel prices, despite the naysayers and peddlers of doom. Even Frontier is still flying.

I remember a while back in one of his releases, DP said that if other airlines had counted on US's bankruptcy and demise in 2008 as part of their business plans, they might want to revise those plans. Well, despite what we think of US, they're still here.

Brice

PhillyPhlyer40 Nov 21, 2008 5:40 am

Originally Posted by dsldog400 (Post 10788346)
(MODS: Feel free to remove posts that are just plain negative and have no constructive content.)

....... DP said that if other airlines had counted on US's bankruptcy and demise in 2008 as part of their business plans, they might want to revise those plans.

Maybe the mods could start with the above thread?! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lets hope 2009 brings better results to the industry with US exiting the airline business so DP can start his booze and water distribution business. :D