FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   MERGED THREADS - CONFIRMED: US Airways Bonus Miles To Return (Retroactive) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/890433-merged-threads-confirmed-us-airways-bonus-miles-return-retroactive.html)

ImprovGal Nov 22, 2008 9:57 am

Originally Posted by me4yankees (Post 10793413)
Then they will need to adjust the elite bonuses to reflect the 500-mile minimum! Sounds like at least a three-tier process! :D

Yes, adjusting the elite bonuses first didn't make sense to me either -- especially since adjusting for the 500-mile minimum may bump a member into another elite tier and then the elite bonuses would have to be recalculated from that point on anyway.

Also, I noticed that the elite bonuses have returned for United operated flights as well as US. Were other Star Alliance carrier flights eligible for the elite bonus before it was taken away?

uva185 Nov 22, 2008 10:55 am

Originally Posted by ImprovGal (Post 10795345)
Yes, adjusting the elite bonuses first didn't make sense to me either -- especially since adjusting for the 500-mile minimum may bump a member into another elite tier and then the elite bonuses would have to be recalculated from that point on anyway.

Also, I noticed that the elite bonuses have returned for United operated flights as well as US. Were other Star Alliance carrier flights eligible for the elite bonus before it was taken away?

They have just updated my minimum miles. However my elite bonus has not been added yet so it looks like they are doing it in the correct order for me.

findingneema Nov 22, 2008 8:37 pm

I've had both the Bonus and the 500 mile mins post.

aztimm Nov 22, 2008 8:49 pm

I have a bunch of, "MIN MILES ADJUSTMENT," entries now, looks like they caught all of them. However, I do not see any bonus miles adjustments (from when the min was < 500 or where I didn't get any).

Just with this difference, it looks like about 4-5,000 miles more just toward my 2008 EQM. If I actually get my MasterCard to kick in (it will be very close), I could get Plat this year, or I'll be a solid Gold.

Now I'm already thinking of a 1Q Europe run...I did one last year and was able to net almost 15k EQM from it (with very creative routing). Have 5 vacation days rolling into 2009 that I'll need to use by 3/31, might as well enjoy a few days somewhere fun.

nehopper Nov 23, 2008 8:00 am

Happy to see this. However, on Friday, before I saw this message, I booked my first "willing" non-USAir leg in a couple years on Continental. There was no advantage to staying with USAir (I am silver) and it saved $60. Plus, the Continental product looked good on some other trips this year...

mdaecher Nov 23, 2008 8:19 am

Agreed

Originally Posted by Trontor (Post 10784097)
Too late for me. I'm a current Platinum and have no chance to make it for next year since I've changed to AA & DL. They need to announce(soon) that current status will be maintained in the coming year or those who fled will merely yawn.

Status matched to DL in July and have been pleased with their service, even flying thru ATL. Even though I haven't flown US since then, I'm still only 18 segments shy of Plat for next year, but I have no plans to return.

Their press release pretty much says it all - they're doing it because of competition, not because they feel it affected behavior and their booking. While that may have some BS in it, the tone indicates they still could care less about us - just keeping up with the Jones's.

Also, since CO (who I fly alot on also) will be *A, I don't want too many miles in one alliance, so I'm sticking with DL/NW.

Too little, too late US.

DesertFlier Nov 23, 2008 8:56 am

I got all my miles. Wasn't a lot - about 14k.

This puts me somewhere between gold and platinum, though it's irrelevant, as I have already status-matched to CO and plan to fly them in '09. The few routes that I can't swing on CO or DL, I will fill in with WN.

pieper Nov 23, 2008 10:09 am

Never received the email despite being Gold (still). Doesn't really matter though since we status matched in the Spring to UA and made PE on UA and Silver on CO until 2010 on miles and segments. Close to Silver on US but not worth it.
If they would finally clean up PHL, I might consider a few flights because of convenience. Came thru PHL last weekend on US with a UA codeshare. Still a lousy experience after having been able to avoid it for 6 months. The on board $2 H2O charge is pathetic and professionalism of (some of) the GA's has sunk as far as the airline: An FA in F in unbutonned shirt, no tie, undershirt showing....

Flyer Jon Nov 23, 2008 10:26 am

Mrs. FlyerJon received her minumum miles but not bonus miles. Added up to 8500, with possibly 27000 missing bonus miles.

I look after her travel arrangements and, back in April, had suggested that I try to match her Chairmans status on DL and move her away from US. She said NO, so I didn't! I have to admit that US have looked after her very well, she is upgraded over 80% of the time - she makes a lot of few days out bookings. Awards might cost a $50 non-refundable fee, but there's no cost to make changes or put the miles back in the account.

As senior management (from America West) finally get the idea that business travelers are really important, hopefully they will be less likely to pull dumb stunts like miles removal - probably not:rolleyes:. The other airlines obviously understand because they didn't follow US. I'm glad, for Mrs FlyerJon, that I didn't abandon aircraft, as she's only 4 segs from requal and she'll now get all her miles.

DesertFlier Nov 23, 2008 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Flyer Jon (Post 10799760)
I look after her travel arrangements and, back in April, had suggested that I try to match her Chairmans status on DL and move her away from US.

As an FYI - Delta and AA will only match you up to 50k level, regardless if you are currently a higher status level. CO does match equivalent higher levels, however, but their top tier is Platinum (75k).

mastertrust Nov 23, 2008 11:31 am

Updated quicker than december

Friday got my missing bonus miles, this morning the 500 mile minimum "makeups" were posted, along with bonus miles for those makeup segments. Already renewed chairman's status for 09 but glad to see the both of these things fixed.

DCAML Nov 23, 2008 11:52 am

i got over 30,000 miles in the past 2 days. The bonus miles are why elites stay with a program. But, it seems the double miles are not double 500 but the actual mileage

ProudEdmontonian Nov 23, 2008 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by DCAML (Post 10800176)
i got over 30,000 miles in the past 2 days. The bonus miles are why elites stay with a program. But, it seems the double miles are not double 500 but the actual mileage

As I recall, the bonus was always based on actual miles when you got the 500 minimum.

The strategy worked to a degree because prior to this retroactive reinstatement, I was 93 miles short of Gold and the Ms. was 16 short of Silver. We decided to book 1 one-way fare on US to ensure next year's status for us both so US got a bit of extra $$.

However, the experience has soured us both and next year I really couldn't care less especially since my U/G record this fall YEG-PHX is 0 for 6.

uva185 Nov 23, 2008 12:29 pm

My Platinum Bonus miles just posted. I forgot it is only a 75% bonus :td:

Even my Delta Gold bonus is 100%.

LMB01 Nov 23, 2008 12:31 pm

Minimum miles were almost 8k for me which is enough for me to requalify for CP. I was going to be about 12k short with a possible transcon business trip looming in Dec. I decided to book the trip on US since that with the min miles adjustment will get me the 12k for requalifying. Yippee - top tier on 2 airlines this year (AA and CP) - I think I traveled too much this year!