Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Best line to deal with the "could you switch seats with me" question?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

OK, bragging rights goes to the best response here. I'm CP USAIr flyer, and time and time again have been placed in the position of being asked to change my "preferred" seat with a member of a family who wants to sit either next to their young child, debilitated spouse, newlywed... Really, it has all happened to me and I have yet to be prepared with a line that gets me out of the situation. It's very frustrating, especially considering the length to which I go to select/grab my seat (seatguru, early checkin, CP personal liaison...).

So, bragging rights and maybe even a moniker like "The Smith Response" goes to the person who comes up with the best line in response to this situation that gets you out of it without looking like a crud. Best I've come up witrh (but not used) is "Well, I had to pay extra to get this seat?"

This ought to be a good one!
Old Nov 1, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by goldwein
OK, bragging rights goes to the best response here. I'm CP USAIr flyer, and time and time again have been placed in the position of being asked to change my "preferred" seat with a member of a family who wants to sit either next to their young child, debilitated spouse, newlywed... Really, it has all happened to me and I have yet to be prepared with a line that gets me out of the situation. It's very frustrating, especially considering the length to which I go to select/grab my seat (seatguru, early checkin, CP personal liaison...).

So, bragging rights and maybe even a moniker like "The Smith Response" goes to the person who comes up with the best line in response to this situation that gets you out of it without looking like a crud. Best I've come up witrh (but not used) is "Well, I had to pay extra to get this seat?"

Well, I'll ignore the "bragging rights" claim and treat the inquiry as a serious one:
"No, I'm sorry" said politely and maybe with a rueful smile, repeated as often as necessary, works for me.... Don't engage in any debate - remember the politicians' trick: you don't have to answer any question you don't want to. Now, whether or not you look like a "crud" is a matter of perspective, and only the viewer controls that - to some you always will. So what?

If you're looking for "bragging rights" you're going to lose the PR battle for sure!
Old Nov 1, 2008, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I usually just tell the truth. If it doesn't matter to me, I tell them. If it does, I tell them I booked that seat intentionally so I could sleep, get work done or whatever.

I do know that if someone assumes that I will switch and takes my seat without asking there is a 100% chance they will be moving back to their assigned seat without regard.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 2:15 pm

"No thanks. But I appreciate you thinking of me".
Old Nov 1, 2008, 2:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I usually just put my headphones on, listen to my iPod, and either pretend I'm asleep or actually am dozing. If someone wakes me up to ask about switching seats, I don't think I'd react too kindly.

For most short-hauls (about an hour or less), I'd probably trade if asked. However when on a HNL-PHX flight last year, I had a nice exit row, put on my headphones/iPod, and was relaxing while boarding was happening. Just before they closed the door, a family caused a big commotion. There was no way I was giving up my seat, I just sat in my seat, eyes closed, trying to ignore what was going on. Eventually, they sorted out whatever it was.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
"Sure." Cue flatulence and frowny face. "Enjoy the flight."
Old Nov 1, 2008, 4:36 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
This isn't really US specific. In fact:

"Would you mind switching seats with us?"
Old Nov 1, 2008, 5:43 pm

Start signing or either say "I don't speak English" in a bizarre accent or obscure language.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
The best way to avoid this scenario is to be seated in the exit row (if you have status), since they won't allow children under 15 to sit in the exit row. Most couples who want to sit together (if one is it the exit row and the other is in a regular row) would ask the person in the regular row to trade into the exit row.

If you don't have status, and you buy a "choice seat," you can always claim that you paid extra to sit in that seat. Of course, the fA can probably still move you at their discretion, but I believe then you would get your money back.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 8:57 pm

Just be honest. If you really had no reason to not switch seats, then why won't you?

A simple "I'm already settled into my seat" or
"I'm sorry, I need this window/aisle and I chose it several weeks ago" or
"That seat doesn't recline and I need a seat that reclines" or even just a
"I'm sorry, I don't switch seats."

What I hate are the people who blame their seating issues on other people. A guy in front of me last week OLCI'd and had his print outs and kept saying "i picked us seats together online last night blah blah blah"...well if you printed your BPs right then you should have noticed. I don't see how seats change magically between choosing seats and clicking print.

Another family had all E (middle) seats. Like 9E, 10E, 11E. Guy claimed that he got them all seats together online a month ago. Sure buddy..they were together but not together.

When I fly with my BF I get seats immediately and check constantly. I flew on 6 flights with my cousin and her friend on 2 PNRs and I checked the seats constantly. We flew together the whole time. Book together, check after and schedule change, check a week before the trip, verify at checkin. A couple minutes a few times will prevent a lot of issues and no need for an excuse.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 9:00 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
You don't need any line and you should give no explanation; that just prolongs the conversation and gives people something to use to argue with you. You paid for and chose your seats. You are under no obligation to switch with people who were too lazy/foolish/stupid to do the same. Just say "no".
Old Nov 1, 2008, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Sorry, no." No further discussion, explanation or amplification is necessary.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
"I really wish I could, but I can't. You know. 9/11."

I figure if the FAs can make rules up under this guise, why can't we?
Old Nov 1, 2008, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
"No I would prefer not to"

"I would rather sit here"

"I need an aisle seat"
Old Nov 1, 2008, 11:19 pm

Programs: CO Gold, US Plat, ICH Plat/RA
why not

Originally Posted by goldwein

Um, why not consider an option of actually being nice and accepting offer to switch seats? I generally (almost always) do. (maybe except for middle seat with heavy people next to me). Consider that if you *don't* switch seat you will actually have to sit next to the young child/disabled spouse/newlywed in question - and well, I'd rather sit in middle seat than next to someone's misbehaving kid.

If you really don't want to, why not just say "Sorry, no"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.