Wiki Posts
Search

Are pay toilets next?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC50K, HH Dia.
Are pay toilets next?

A great one on yesterdays flights. USair will start charging $1 for using the lavetory on all their flights, should generate $ 1-2 million in extra revenue.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:45 pm

Stupid post, ban OP!
Old Aug 30, 2008, 2:59 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Gr.Dane
A great one on yesterdays flights. USair will start charging $1 for using the lavetory on all their flights, should generate $ 1-2 million in extra revenue.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing recently because I remember as a kid going to Nathan's in Coney Island and having to pay for the toilets there! In fact, pay toilets were rather common in many places in the 70's.

However, I highly doubt that any airline will charge for bathroom usage since there is no alternative for the pax! But considering that many airlines are finding ways to charge for most everything else, pay toilets are at least worth the giggle.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP, CO PE, HH Diamond, MR Platinum, BW Diamond, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Funny, I was thinking the same thing recently because I remember as a kid going to Nathan's in Coney Island and having to pay for the toilets there! In fact, pay toilets were rather common in many places in the 70's.

However, I highly doubt that any airline will charge for bathroom usage since there is no alternative for the pax! But considering that many airlines are finding ways to charge for most everything else, pay toilets are at least worth the giggle.
I'd almost be willing to pay if I could be guaranteed that I was using a lav that didn't smell like the port-a-john at the local fair or the toilet at the gas station.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
I'm about to head back to Amsterdam where they charge for bathrooms everywhere. Was in a club buying 6 euro drinks and got hit up for a euro to use their bathroom. Absurd but normal to the Dutch I guess. Who's to say airplanes aren't next.

Sean
Old Aug 30, 2008, 4:32 pm

Programs: Asiana Airlines(Silver) Visa, Frontier Airlines EarlyReturns, Hiliton HHonors Blue
From what I have been told. Pay toilets are common in Europe, but I find it hard to believe that airlines will charge for its usage. But, who knows!
Old Aug 30, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by InkedParrot
From what I have been told. Pay toilets are common in Europe, but I find it hard to believe that airlines will charge for its usage. But, who knows!
Pay public toilets are common, but if you are a paying customer in a restaurant or a hotel, then toilet usage would be complimentary. Therefore, you have a choice. On a plane, you would not have alternative choices. I believe that charging to use a toilet on an aircraft would be rather inhumane.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Gr.Dane
So far "...a resounding no," at least as quoted in WSJ.

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2008...ooms-fee-free/
Old Aug 30, 2008, 8:26 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by CThomp79
So far "...a resounding no," at least as quoted in WSJ.

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2008...ooms-fee-free/
I love those responses.

"We charge for services which add value to the consumer" - if someone had to go, charging for the toilet certainly would add value.

"Northwest Airlines is not considering charging a fee to use the lavatories onboard our aircraft. It is considered a core part of our service.” - as if a single piece of checked luggage is not a core part of their service.

Honestly it would absolutely not surprise me - maybe each person gets one token for free and must use quarters for any additional use?
Old Aug 30, 2008, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by stiphy
I'm about to head back to Amsterdam where they charge for bathrooms everywhere. Was in a club buying 6 euro drinks and got hit up for a euro to use their bathroom. Absurd but normal to the Dutch I guess. Who's to say airplanes aren't next.

Sean
Yes it's normal in many european countries. It usually means you get an attendant who makes sure the bathrooms are clean. and sometimes offers you clean towels and maybe even some cologne. Much better than the filthy hovels in America, with a 2-foot gap between cubicles where you can see the legs of the guy next to you crapping (apologies. Even the Bellagio in Las Vegas had this arrangement, despite the marble bathrooms. Vile. I couldn't beleive it. Even the cubicle doors leave a half-inch space through which anyone can see you. Horrible.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 7:25 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by warbo
Even the Bellagio in Las Vegas had this arrangement, despite the marble bathrooms. Vile. I couldn't beleive it. Even the cubicle doors leave a half-inch space through which anyone can see you. Horrible.
Keep in mind that we in America are so accustomed to these arrangements that we don't take the time to peep through half-inch gaps in bathroom stalls. Anyone who does is considered to be a pervert.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fti
"Northwest Airlines is not considering charging a fee to use the lavatories onboard our aircraft. It is considered a core part of our service.” - as if a single piece of checked luggage is not a core part of their service.
Of course luggage is not a core part of their service. Their service is crap and that's why toilets are a core part of it!
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by warbo
Yes it's normal in many european countries. It usually means you get an attendant who makes sure the bathrooms are clean. and sometimes offers you clean towels and maybe even some cologne. Much better than the filthy hovels in America, with a 2-foot gap between cubicles where you can see the legs of the guy next to you crapping (apologies. Even the Bellagio in Las Vegas had this arrangement, despite the marble bathrooms. Vile. I couldn't beleive it. Even the cubicle doors leave a half-inch space through which anyone can see you. Horrible.
I do love the floor to ceiling stalls but think its absurd to have to pay to use one if I'm a patron of an establishment. Clearly not the case for European's though and they may not object to a charge on a plane either. Don't think this would fly in the US.

Had a funny story about EU stalls. I was at a client site and was in one of the floor to ceiling stalls once when the head guy in the meeting we were in had a conversation about how good he thought our product was and that they were just coming off hardline to see what they could negotiate etc. They had no idea I was there. In the US they would've done the requisite check under the stall to look for legs but that of course wasn't possible!

In all though I would definitely not generalize that bathrooms across Europe are cleaner than those in the US, at least not what I've seen on the continent.

Sean
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fti

Honestly it would absolutely not surprise me - maybe each person gets one token for free and must use quarters for any additional use?
Quarters..? You'll never make it US's revenue management department.!

Think Susan B. Anthony...

Old Aug 31, 2008, 2:07 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
Pay toilet are better than no toilets at all. I think we can all agree on that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.