FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines-612/)
-   -   I hear nothing from US Airways (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-airways-dividend-miles-pre-consolidation-american-airlines/859119-i-hear-nothing-us-airways.html)

me4yankees Sep 3, 2008 12:45 pm

The vouchers are challenging to redeem. Some report good experiences, but all of mine have been awful. The agents either do not know what to with them or they are not always applicable to a any single, most direct fare/ticket as stated in the Terms and Conditions. I wish you the best of luck. Sounds like a bad experience and you only got $75!

flight62 Sep 3, 2008 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by KDHawaii (Post 10305243)
Per the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) 14 CFR Part 382.49 (a), “Qualified individuals with a disability shall undergo security screening in the same manner, and be subject to the same security requirements, as other passengers.” I do apologize if you felt targeted, but please be assured their method is routine without prejudice. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can email ICTS directly at [email protected].

BINGO!! Nuff said!:td:

McFlyPHL Sep 3, 2008 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by me4yankees (Post 10305614)
The vouchers are challenging to redeem. Some report good experiences, but all of mine have been awful. The agents either do not know what to with them or they are not always applicable to a any single, most direct fare/ticket as stated in the Terms and Conditions. I wish you the best of luck. Sounds like a bad experience and you only got $75!

Sounds like a good deal to me. The OP didn't like the screening process in CDG, which was followed. (or was it in PHL? The letter and the OP's posts conflict.)

This, to me, sounds like another "I'm offended and want compensation" situation - although we don't know because the OP has never posted his original complaint and left us to assume. IMO the OP is lucky to have gotten anything at all.

me4yankees Sep 3, 2008 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL (Post 10306458)
Sounds like a good deal to me. The OP didn't like the screening process in CDG, which was followed. (or was it in PHL? The letter and the OP's posts conflict.)

This, to me, sounds like another "I'm offended and want compensation" situation - although we don't know because the OP has never posted his original complaint and left us to assume. IMO the OP is lucky to have gotten anything at all.

Getting a voucher for any amount from US Airways is not a good deal as I stated in previous posts. However, I read the reply differently and I do not really know the original complaint in detail.

McFlyPHL Sep 3, 2008 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by me4yankees (Post 10306475)
Getting a voucher for any amount from US Airways is not a good deal as I stated in previous posts. However, I read the reply differently and I do not really know the original complaint in detail.

For a legit complaint, you're correct - US vouchers suck (in general, I've not ever gotten an ETUV, just the "free seat anywhere" kind).

For griping about ICTS procedures, any compensation is a great deal. Just because it came from US doesn't make it wrong.

KDHawaii Sep 3, 2008 2:58 pm

Here is my original complaint:
We arrived at CDG approximately 10:05am. We waited in line until almost our turn, and because I am deaf, we were pulled out of line because I have to answer some security questions. My travel companion who is hearing and knows sign language. The security guy would not allow him to interpret for me. They expected me to read lips! (ugh) I told them I can't and told my travel companion to tell him what I just signed. The security guy said, "oh okay just a second." Then he came back and told us he was going to get a supervisor. I told him (I signed and my travel companion interpreted) it was not necessary because he can interpret it for you. He said, "Oh no way. I don't trust him. That is the security reason.(ugh!!)" I got pissed off. We waited for 15 minutes before the supervisor showed up. He gave me the questions on paper. I told him it is not necessary to do this. He said, "I have to follow the procedure". I said to him, I felt target because I am deaf. He went, "well, again, we have to follow the procedure for our security and safety."(ugh ugh!!)I had to answer the questions by shaking my head up and down as yes, side ways as no.

FYI, i was not trying like "I'm offended and want compensation" situation" at all.. I just don't appreciate they treated me different from others. Why do they have to pull us out of line?!?! dumb!!!!

Jumpgate Sep 3, 2008 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by KDHawaii (Post 10306578)
Here is my original complaint:
We arrived at CDG approximately 10:05am. We waited in line until almost our turn, and because I am deaf, we were pulled out of line because I have to answer some security questions. My travel companion who is hearing and knows sign language. The security guy would not allow him to interpret for me. They expected me to read lips! (ugh) I told them I can't and told my travel companion to tell him what I just signed. The security guy said, "oh okay just a second." Then he came back and told us he was going to get a supervisor. I told him (I signed and my travel companion interpreted) it was not necessary because he can interpret it for you. He said, "Oh no way. I don't trust him. That is the security reason.(ugh!!)" I got pissed off. We waited for 15 minutes before the supervisor showed up. He gave me the questions on paper. I told him it is not necessary to do this. He said, "I have to follow the procedure". I said to him, I felt target because I am deaf. He went, "well, again, we have to follow the procedure for our security and safety."(ugh ugh!!)I had to answer the questions by shaking my head up and down as yes, side ways as no.

I'm curious, was it a US Airways employee who pulled you out of line and performed the questioning? If not, wouldn't your complaint be then more appropriate to be aimed at the security staff and procedures at CDG airport and not US Airways?

I'm sensitive to your position, but US Airways has no authority over how the CDG security staff picks and questions passengers. Additionally, it's not surprising that they won't let strangers/other passengers translate words to sign language, as they cannot be sure the translation is correct. It's post 9/11, a 15 minute security delay on TA flight, while very frustrating, isn't anything to freak out about.

Lastly, I'm curious, how did the security person know you were deaf prior to pulling you from the line?

KDHawaii Sep 3, 2008 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jumpgate (Post 10306611)
I'm curious, was it a US Airways employee who pulled you out of line and performed the questioning? If not, wouldn't your complaint be then more appropriate to be aimed at the security staff and procedures at CDG airport and not US Airways?

I'm sensitive to your position, but US Airways has no authority over how the CDG security staff picks and questions passengers. Additionally, it's not surprising that they won't let strangers/other passengers translate words to sign language, as they cannot be sure the translation is correct. It's post 9/11, a 15 minute security delay on TA flight, while very frustrating, isn't anything to freak out about.

Lastly, I'm curious, how did the security person know you were deaf prior to pulling you from the line?

It was US Airways employees. When the security person started asking us questions, I told him I am deaf. then they had to pull us out of the line.

McFlyPHL Sep 3, 2008 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by KDHawaii (Post 10306578)
He said, "I have to follow the procedure". I said to him, I felt target because I am deaf. He went, "well, again, we have to follow the procedure for our security and safety."(ugh ugh!!)I had to answer the questions by shaking my head up and down as yes, side ways as no.

FYI, i was not trying like "I'm offended and want compensation" situation" at all.. I just don't appreciate they treated me different from others. Why do they have to pull us out of line?!?! dumb!!!!

You got more than you deserved - all that was warranted was an explanation of the procedure and a confirmation that it was followed. ICTS followed their procedure, it sounds, to the letter. US doesn't make security rules any more at CDG than they do at PHL. The ICTS rule is quite clear. You "felt singled out" by a procedure? Get over yourself. The reasons for this procedure are quite clear. And actually make sense. Or maybe you'd like them to hold up the rest of the line while you are asked the questions that everyone else is?

Think about it for a minute - taking your own situation away. If a two people walk up to be screened and one of them does not speak English - would you trust the other to answer his security questions? No. The questioner would have no way of knowing if they person who didn't speak English actually knew what was being asked. Just as the ICTS agent would have had no way of knowing what your friend actually signed you.

Aside from using your friend as an interpreter, which isn't an option for legitimate security reasons, what would you have them do? Assume you know the rules (thus treating you differently than everyone else?).

abcxyz Sep 3, 2008 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by me4yankees (Post 10305614)

The E-TUV voucher is pretty easy. The only trouble I had was being on hold 20m after I faxed the paper slip from the station manager upgrading me to Envoy on any flight when corporate called reservations and then my itinerary was changed. Never had any problems.

abcxyz Sep 3, 2008 5:52 pm

I think airline employees pulls 10 (maybe it's 15) percent of the passengers of any international flight into the US aside for further questioning by security. It's standard, more or less.

McFlyPHL Sep 3, 2008 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by abcxyz (Post 10307727)
I think airline employees pulls 10 (maybe it's 15) percent of the passengers of any international flight into the US aside for further questioning by security. It's standard, more or less.

Actually, I think everyone gets the standard "Have you been in control of your luggage since it was packed" and "Has anyone asked you to carry anything" questions IME.

abcxyz Sep 3, 2008 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL (Post 10307916)
Actually, I think everyone gets the standard "Have you been in control of your luggage since it was packed" and "Has anyone asked you to carry anything" questions IME.

Oh this I know, but I've seen in LGW and LHR little pieces of paper reminding to pull XYZ percent aside for further security. I was subject once.

McFlyPHL Sep 3, 2008 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by abcxyz (Post 10307922)
Oh this I know, but I've seen in LGW and LHR little pieces of paper reminding to pull XYZ percent aside for further security. I was subject once.

Hadn't noticed... perhaps I just look honest! ;)

abcxyz Sep 3, 2008 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL (Post 10308061)
Hadn't noticed... perhaps I just look honest! ;)

Perhaps. Though I've traveled wearing suits and ties, to shorts and my alma mater's t shirt and I tend to always get pulled aside - somewhere.