Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Half miles on partner?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2008, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Half miles on partner?

I flew to Athens in May, and used one free ticket on Luftansa through the star alliance, and paid for the other one. US didnt credit my DM account for the paid one, so I had to mail in my tickets. After that, they credited me only 50% miles. I called them 2 weeks ago and they said they would fix it. I emailed them today, and they responded saying the ticket was an "S" fare (whatever that is) and that I can only get half miles!

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything I can do? Its only a few thousand miles, but its the principle! When I booked the ticket they assured me I would get miles for the paid ticket and didnt say anything about "S" fares or half miles! I thought I heard something about "S" fares being super cheap or something, but that wasnt true for my ticket! It was definitly full price!

Thanks for any advice!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Welcome to FlyerTalk, uncjibble

Unfortunately, an "S' fare on Lufthansa only earns 50% Miles when accrued to US DM program. It's not how much you paid, but what fare class it was that counts in this case.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
the lowest fare buckets on LH always get 50%, intra-europe sometimes no miles at all.
Full price Y ticket would have been much more expensive.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

I just wish they had told me that from the beginning!

Oh well, thanks for the info!
Old Aug 12, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
Star Alliance Accural Chart

Check here before you book your ticket(s) on star alliance in the future to check accural rates per fare class.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:53 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
The fine print

I just had the same thing happen to me as it did to the OP on a recent LH flight. Don't you just hate trying to dig through all of the fine print when it comes to the airline's T&C's?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles CP, Marriott Plat
Anyone successful getting 100% Miles "S" Fare Lufthansa

I am a Chairman's preferred and have flown to DXB with Lufthansa many times using my US Airways account. My ticket was purchased through a travel agent and I had no idea it was an "S" fare! When I returned home I found out that I only received 50% of the mileage.

Has anyone successfully been able to get 100% contacting US Airways with the dreaded "S" fare - even as I one time fix?

Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ffmcs
I am a Chairman's preferred and have flown to DXB with Lufthansa many times using my US Airways account. My ticket was purchased through a travel agent and I had no idea it was an "S" fare! When I returned home I found out that I only received 50% of the mileage.

Has anyone successfully been able to get 100% contacting US Airways with the dreaded "S" fare - even as I one time fix?

Why would you expect them to do this? It's not only in the published T&Cs of the DM program but it's also what they've negotiated with LH as part of the alliance. They're not going to violate those partner T&Cs even for a CP.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by uncjibble
I flew to Athens in May, and used one free ticket on Luftansa through the star alliance, and paid for the other one. US didnt credit my DM account for the paid one, so I had to mail in my tickets. After that, they credited me only 50% miles. I called them 2 weeks ago and they said they would fix it. I emailed them today, and they responded saying the ticket was an "S" fare (whatever that is) and that I can only get half miles!

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything I can do? Its only a few thousand miles, but its the principle! When I booked the ticket they assured me I would get miles for the paid ticket and didnt say anything about "S" fares or half miles! I thought I heard something about "S" fares being super cheap or something, but that wasnt true for my ticket! It was definitly full price!

Thanks for any advice!
"It was definitely full price"

How are you defining what is full price? An S fare is simply the lowest fare bucket, it doesn't mean it is super cheap, just the cheapest offered. A "full price" ticket IMO opinion would be full Y which is probably $3,000+ roundtrip to Europe.

I flew an S fare to MUC this fall for $550.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
NEVER assume that you will get 100% miles on *A partner flights. Always confirm the fare code before you purchase your ticket and then go to this link to determine your miles.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 2:34 pm

I definitely learned a lesson that is for sure, going through the travel agency of American Express online only shows "economy", should have done a better job looking at the details. I flew United and Lufthansa - luckily it was just the segment with Lufthansa that was the S fare.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by uncjibble
I just wish they had told me that from the beginning!

Oh well, thanks for the info!
It is the same with Air Canada; however, Air Canada discloses it in the process of selecting a fare and etc. when buying a ticket on their website.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by ffmcs
If your travel agent was on top of his\her game, he\she should have disclosed this to you before purchasing your ticket. Furthermore, the information is on the US Airways website. By the way, why did you continue to fly on LH on 'S' fares after you discovered the 50% credit after your first trip?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 4:55 pm

The United flight was booked in a different class apparently. The Lufthansa segment was booked in the S class. I have been flying this Lufthansa route to Dubai for 7 years, I never thought to double check. I realize that ignorance is no excuse, it is clearly posted on the US Airways website, but never had the experience of buying an S fare ticket until now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.