Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Protest the $2 drinks and other fees

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
Yep best way to go is fly someone else, then take a nickle and dime, tape it on your used BP and mail it to Doug along with a clipped FF card
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:53 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
Yep best way to go is fly someone else
While I agree in concept, not every airline serves every destination. There will be times when one will be forced to pay these fees to get where one needs to go within time and budget constraints.

Personally I am not too jazzed by this idea as I am going to be the one on the receiving end of the pennies
If everyone paid these fees with rolls of nickles and dimes, it would have an impact across the industry. (I'm OK with not taking the coins out of the rolls.)
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:57 am

When my boyfriend's college has away games they encourage people to go to banks and withdraw $2 bills and stamp them with a tiger paw.

Can someone make up a cockroach stamp so we can get some $2 bills and stamp them with the cockroach?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by formeraa
It's really not fair that we are not willing to pay reasonable fares for travel. While it may mean fewer trips per year, fuel prices are astronomical right now.
The REAL problem is that most US legacy airline managers decide to forego hedges a few years back on a gamble that fuel prices would not skyrocket, and they wound up guessing wrong.

It's not the customer's fault -- or the frontline employee's fault -- that CEOs decided to spin the roulette wheel on fuel, and didn't have much luck in doing so.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by ldsant
I'm with others - just stop flying USAirways. That drop in the absolute bottom line is what will make the difference.
Exactly. I don't know why so many are in denial over this very basic truth.

I like my airlines of choice too, but even as an Elite member, I have NEVER forgotten -- not even for a day -- that an airline is supposed to be EARNING my business for trip after trip, and the moment the value proposition turns unacceptable, I behave like a smart customer and choose a competitor that offers what I value.

If US Preferreds continue to take the crappy treatment by giving US their travel dollars, then US will continue to crap on them.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:45 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Personally I am not too jazzed by this idea as I am going to be the one on the receiving end of the pennies. Believe me when I say that the gate agents and flight attendants are just as unhappy as you all are with all of these changes. But please, don't shoot the messenger. This will also tick off your fellow passengers because guess what kind of change we are going to give the guy sitting next to you when they hand us a $20 bill. Your pennies!!
I think they should just raise all of the fares and stop nickel and diming everything to death, but that is just my opinion and what do I know about management? I am just a stupid little penny counter.
BTW, I really agree with the opinion that walking and voting with your wallet is the best retaliation and will be the best way to get your point across.
Ms. Wench,
I have a change maker belt left over from my days as a car hop. If you need it, let me know! Roller skates too...
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:07 pm

I wish airlines would just increase their fares and be done with it. I've been paying $250 to fly to Florida for the past 20 years. The legacy carriers are beginning to look inferior to the likes of Southwest (and I never thought I'd say that).
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Charge for water "criminal" Fox News

FYI, Fox news' Dr Manny Alvarez just said a 2.00 charge for water is "criminal." Danger of dehydration on long flights is great!
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:39 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Yeah, punish the f/a's!! Pennies will cause you to thirst!

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
All the threads on the new changes have started my creative juices flowing as to the way to best protest the new fees.

Pay for them with pennies. Stock up on rolls and rolls of pennies.

Before boarding, un-roll the pennies and put them in one of your tidy little TSA baggies. When buying a bottle of water of coffee, slowly count out the 200 pennies. They have to take them, they are legal tender. Repeat when you ask for a refill on your coffee.

Or when checking a bag, repent the above. It will take a while to count out 1,500 hundred pennies.

You could call it "pennies for Doug" or the "bean counter count......"

Whatchathink?
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:40 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by coswellnc
Ms. Wench,
I have a change maker belt left over from my days as a car hop. If you need it, let me know! Roller skates too...
I want it...PLEASE!!! Seriously, PM me!!
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
The REAL problem is that most US legacy airline managers decide to forego hedges a few years back on a gamble that fuel prices would not skyrocket, and they wound up guessing wrong.

It's not the customer's fault -- or the frontline employee's fault -- that CEOs decided to spin the roulette wheel on fuel, and didn't have much luck in doing so.
Actually, most legacies had such poor credit ratings that they didn't qualify. Only one did and they are sitting pretty in the canyon blue!
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: None-Airline employee
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy

Not true. The legacy carriers tried to hedge as far out as they could. Only WN had the credit rating to pull it off. The others had to accept what they could get.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Fax in your ticket receipt from the other airline to HQ; that is what will make a difference.
If you're an Elite make sure to copy your Elite membership card to the fax before sending it in with a nice little note. The departure of long-standing business pax will have a greater effect than the family vactioners IMO.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:33 pm

Programs: hhonors
so.......

1/2 a can of soda = $2.00,
one share of usair common stock = $2.86 ( and that's up $.17!)

For "innovative ways to raise cash", how's about a special edition
can of coke for $5.00 with a share of stock painted on the side?

Stickin with southwest guys....

Last edited by rzyzzy; Jun 13, 2008 at 9:38 pm Reason: x
Old Jun 14, 2008, 7:15 am

I don't think the F/A's will really give a rats if you pay in change. People already do and all we do is pop it in the envelope and send it to the cashier... Its not even seen by mid level management so the chances of this workingare slim to none...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.