Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where are the lap-child oxygen masks?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by tommyleo
This is likely an unwarranted concern. Can anyone cite any examples of a "projectile" lap child who injured another passenger on any flight?
I'm not worried that the child will hurt someone else. I'm worried about the child. One server turbulence and the child either falls on the floor or hits the ceiling. Just because the probability of having an accident while flying is lower than while driving doesn't mean it is safe.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 11:21 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by caspritz78
I'm not worried that the child will hurt someone else. I'm worried about the child. One server turbulence and the child either falls on the floor or hits the ceiling. Just because the probability of having an accident while flying is lower than while driving doesn't mean it is safe.

No, it is not perfectly safe. And no one ever claimed it to be. But according to the FAA, if they were to force all lap children to have their own seats, some of the parents will opt to drive instead and put their children in far great danger (25X greater, according to the FAA) than if the lap children were being held by the parents in an airplane. Therefore, allowing lap children is the lesser of two evils.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 11:54 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by GalleyWench
The Sioux City accident is the only high profile incident where lap children were indeed killed due to lack of child restraint systems. However, as another poster stated, there have been numerous incidents where children have been injured when parents couldn't hold onto them in turbulence. Most people associate turbulence with just being bounced around a little bit, but for those of us that fly on a regular basis and in and out of different geographic regions we know how violent turbulence can be. I have the battle wounds to prove it! I have seen many people with infant children fall asleep on flights and when unexpected turbulence hits their arms are lax enough that the kids can literally fall on the floor. I've also seen people make their children hold onto infants and that is a big no no, kids don't have the instinct or strength to hold onto an infant in certain situations.
Just my opinion, but after seeing first hand and hearing about other incidents from colleagues what can happen to "babes in arms" I think car seats should be mandated.

So you disagree with the FAA's assertion that mandating car seats (and extra paid tickets) will force some small children to be driven instead of flown, putting those children at far greater risk of injury/death than by flying?

Sorry to be a stickler about this, but a lot of posters here are completely missing the point. Granted, this is a very emotional issue; who wouldn't want to protect the safety of small children? But unless airlines agree to give free seats to small children so that they can be restrained in car seats, forcing such a measure actually puts children at greater risk, according to the FAA.

Is the analysis of the FAA correct? I've searched for articles that disprove the analysis of the FAA, and I've yet to find any that do. Here is an example of someone (John Grolia) trying to disprove the the FAA's analysis, but his conclusions are based on dubious logic: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...n15403615/pg_2

Last edited by tommyleo; Jun 9, 2008 at 12:00 am
Old Jun 9, 2008, 6:42 am

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by tommyleo
But unless airlines agree to give free seats to small children so that they can be restrained in car seats, forcing such a measure actually puts children at greater risk, according to the FAA.

Free? Why should anyone get a free seat? Discounted, maybe, as the child will weigh less, eat and drink less, and possibly have lighter/less baggage (perhaps a lower baggage allowance to go with the discounted ticket), but FREE??!!!!!

Yes, I know, children are our future and must be protected, but I'm not willing to subsidize their travel and neither should the (struggling) airline. Parents have a responsibility to make sure their children are safe.

Man, that one had steam coming out of my ears, that's not like me!
Old Jun 10, 2008, 8:37 am

There are alot of things that the FAA has mandated that I don't agree with, car seats is just one of them. However, this is just my personal opinion and I ask you to take it for what it's worth.
I do understand the reasoning behind them not making child restraint systems mandatory, it all boils down to the almighty dollar. I am just expressing my opinion from seeing several different occurances from the other side of the fence.
Is it right for parents to get angry and insist that we reseat numerous people on an airplane when they haven't bought a seat for their CRS? Several of them think that if we have even one empty seat that we should shuffle people around so they can use their CRS.
Is it right that if a lap child gets injured during taxi, takeoff, landing or turbulence because they aren't properly restrained that the parents can sue the airline? This has happened several times as well.
Again, anything I state is my own personal opinion and should be taken as that. I would change lots of things if I had my way, but unfortunately they never ask me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.