Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2008, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!

Hi everyone!

I have read a lot of comments with questions or concerns. Sometimes customers need or want answers. Sometimes there is pure curiosity about our jobs. Short of info I really can't give out ( I WILL let you know ), please place you questions here. I will get the answer or reasoning behind them. This helps me to keep on top of a changing industry AND airline that constantly changes rules, policies, and procedures.

If I don't have the answer immediately, I will find out for you. Please, just questions pertaining to inflight or flight attendants.

Happy flying,
Flight62
Old May 17, 2008, 10:27 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Where has the pre-departure drink service in F gone? I understand sometimes quick turnaround or pushback prevent having it, but it seems to be more and more rare to get one.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by me4yankees
Where has the pre-departure drink service in F gone? I understand sometimes quick turnaround or pushback prevent having it, but it seems to be more and more rare to get one.
The policy states that a pre departure beverage should be served to First Class/Envoy Class customers on every flight. Beverages given by flight attendants (including bottles of water) must be collected before or during the walk through before takeoff/landing.

Because we have not integrated ALL P/P's between East/West, you may find that the West f/a's collect before closing the a/c door as it was/may still be policy.

Reasons short of laziness to not serve?

Catering hasn't provided adequate supplies yet.
Steady stream of passengers because the flight is way late and the agents have a steady flow of customers line up. Even then, they should try.

Short of that, there is NO excuse.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Travel with a child? Ever brought a booster seat on the a/c just to be told you can't use it?

Customers can now use child booster seats during the flight only! and must be stowed under the seat in front of them or the overhead bin for taxi, take off and landing.
Old May 17, 2008, 1:24 pm

This is a great idea for a thread. I am going to sticky it. Thank you for doing this!!!
Old May 17, 2008, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by safetymom
This is a great idea for a thread. I am going to sticky it. Thank you for doing this!!!
Your welcome, mom!

I'm working on trying to not take things so personal here. I find many really don't have answers to the whys of this industry and that causes a lot of strife for many. Some things may not make sense, but at least an answer is provided.
Old May 17, 2008, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Wheelchairs

Are you a customer with your own wheelchair? Afraid of it getting lost or damaged when it is gate checked?

If you do not want to place your wheelchair below, the airline is required to place it onboard. It will go on top of the seats in the last row of the a/c right side. There is a tarp that is placed on the seat and around the wheelchair. The chair is strapped in with seat belts and an extension.

Don't forget it you ever need to go to the bathroom, there is an onboard wheelchair provided.
Old May 17, 2008, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by flight62
Are you a customer with your own wheelchair? Afraid of it getting lost or damaged when it is gate checked?

If you do not want to place your wheelchair below, the airline is required to place it onboard. It will go on top of the seats in the last row of the a/c right side. There is a tarp that is placed on the seat and around the wheelchair. The chair is strapped in with seat belts and an extension.

Don't forget it you ever need to go to the bathroom, there is an onboard wheelchair provided.
To clarify this policy that's if the flight is not sold out correct? As for the onboard wheelchair...I was nonrevving LAS-CLT there was an elderly handicapped passenger who could not walk at all. She asked the FA for a wheelchair...The FA said we did not have one onboard this was a West A320.
Old May 17, 2008, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Flight62,
What a great thread/sticky to start.....thank you and I look forward to reading your responses. I hope Galleywench will chime in as well.

Just one quick question: Has Inflight changed the policy on mixing drinks for F pax? It used to be that I got a can of Mr/Mrs. T's and 1 Finlandia so I could mix my own drink. Now, they mix it for you and they are wayyyyyyyyyy too strong for my taste. Did they no longer allow cans of beverages to be given to pax? I know FA's are not meant to be master bartenders!
Old May 17, 2008, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by USFreak
Flight62,
What a great thread/sticky to start.....thank you and I look forward to reading your responses. I hope Galleywench will chime in as well.

Just one quick question: Has Inflight changed the policy on mixing drinks for F pax? It used to be that I got a can of Mr/Mrs. T's and 1 Finlandia so I could mix my own drink. Now, they mix it for you and they are wayyyyyyyyyy too strong for my taste. Did they no longer allow cans of beverages to be given to pax? I know FA's are not meant to be master bartenders!
I will chime in here and let Flight62 and Galleywench correct me, I have the recent copy of the US Airways Inflight Manual and it states on East, Passengers are to receive the mini and choice of drink and mix it themselves, a double might be provided on request. Out West the FA is to mix the drink themselves and a double might be provided on request.
Old May 17, 2008, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by usa18dca
To clarify this policy that's if the flight is not sold out correct?
No. I just had this happen on a flight last month. We had to ask for volunteers because the flight was actually oversold. The law doesn't dictate seat availability. Luckily the gentlemen had one of those wheelchairs that comes apart and we were able to ask for only one volunteer. That wheel chair was great as the wheels came off and we were able to strap it in as if it were a car seat.

ALL US Airways aircraft, both East AND West, have onboard wheelchairs.
A319/A320 Under the middle seat, last row A/C right or last row FC, A/C right.
A321 Under middle seat, last row a/c right.
A330 Aft of row 20 a/c center left.
B737 Valet closet (East) or last row FC, a/c right (West).
B757 Floor mounted FWD side of 3 right lav or last row FC, a/c right.
B767 Valet closet aft of row 11, a/c right.
E190 FC bulkhead stowage compartment, a/c left.

Either the f/a was new, clueless, or both.
Old May 17, 2008, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by usa18dca
I will chime in here and let Flight62 and Galleywench correct me, I have the recent copy of the US Airways Inflight Manual and it states on East, Passengers are to receive the mini and choice of drink and mix it themselves, a double might be provided on request. Out West the FA is to mix the drink themselves and a double might be provided on request.
You are correct! Most East f/a's will give you the can, ice, and two mini's just because we know most of you will want more than just one and we know strength of cocktail is subjective.

I haven't heard when this will change. I will let you know when it does.

***** As A side note, we are not allowed to provide pre departure cocktails in FC in the states of Florida or New Mexico. Lawsuits. Folks, I know many of you have strong opinions about inflight cocktails, but this is a growing problem. The f/a's on the case in New Mexico are being sued as well because they actually served the man that died and killed someone(s) in a DUI accident. If f/a's are cutting you off, PLEASE don't take offense. Many are just covering their butts. Others are...well I let you finish that one in your own mind.

Last edited by flight62; May 17, 2008 at 9:26 pm
Old May 17, 2008, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Turbulence and Coffee

It is policy that f/a's leave hot items off the beverage cart when there is any turbulence, whether slight or severe.

Sadly, too many ignore this one. As someone who has been burnt by coffee in turbulence, it REALLY ...I mean REALLY hurts!

Why the change, you ask? A baby was burnt severely when coffee splash on him/her during turbulence.
Old May 17, 2008, 9:36 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Someone posted in another forum that their First Class hot meal was served cold recently on a transcon flight. That made me wonder, do the non-transatlantic aircraft, like the A319s, A320s, and A321s, have the capability of heating or keeping food warm?
Old May 17, 2008, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by me4yankees
Someone posted in another forum that their First Class hot meal was served cold recently on a transcon flight. That made me wonder, do the non-transatlantic aircraft, like the A319s, A320s, and A321s, have the capability of heating or keeping food warm?
Except the E190, All of our mainline a/c have ovens in F/C. The customer should inform the f/a that the meal was not warm.

The company has changed the way the meals are boarded. They are in larger containers that hold 2 meals as opposed to a smaller container that held one. Some f/a's have stated that the meals have to cook longer. It was probably a simple over site from the f/a who was trying to not overcook, but ended up under cooking because of the new containers. Never be afraid to tell us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.