Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2008, 9:42 pm

Programs: US CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver.
Why offer two menus?

Originally Posted by flight62
We have tried this before and believe it or not people complained when we did it that way as well. For those that swear by a certain seat, they are effected. Most really don't care. You may see some former AWA f/a's do it the Delta way as they use to do it that way. I personally like the system Delta uses. but it definitely isn't fool proof. But I also like offering meal choices according to status as well and have done that before.

As far as FC on the E190. CLT base gets that plane in July. I am blocked on it and will comment after flying it. I sincerely believe that ac at 11/88 seats should have 3 f/a's or take off FC and spread the seats out to make it 100 people.
I guess my question would be why offer two choices of meals in the first place? On my last PHX to CLT I was in F/C on a A321 in Row 3. I guess everyone in front of me took the Pasta because when the f/a got to me she asked me if I wanted the chicken sandwich as it was all that was left. I took the sandwich and it was pretty good. With the exception of "special needs" that could be ordered in advance, I say put just one menu choice on board and nobody feels slighted. Might save some money too????

It still amazes me as I think that when all airlines served food to everyone (FC and Coach), people complained that the food quality was so bad and nobody wanted to eat it. Now that food is rarely served, everyone is complaining because airlines don't feed pax. Upgrade the snack basket in F/C with some better choices and keep the cookie (I like the cookie and it makes the plane smell GREAT) on domestic flights. US should save the hot food service for those flights across the pond when you really can't help being hungry due to flight times/lengths.

My two cents...
Old May 25, 2008, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by coswellnc
I guess my question would be why offer two choices of meals in the first place? On my last PHX to CLT I was in F/C on a A321 in Row 3. I guess everyone in front of me took the Pasta because when the f/a got to me she asked me if I wanted the chicken sandwich as it was all that was left. I took the sandwich and it was pretty good. With the exception of "special needs" that could be ordered in advance, I say put just one menu choice on board and nobody feels slighted. Might save some money too????

It still amazes me as I think that when all airlines served food to everyone (FC and Coach), people complained that the food quality was so bad and nobody wanted to eat it. Now that food is rarely served, everyone is complaining because airlines don't feed pax. Upgrade the snack basket in F/C with some better choices and keep the cookie (I like the cookie and it makes the plane smell GREAT) on domestic flights. US should save the hot food service for those flights across the pond when you really can't help being hungry due to flight times/lengths.

My two cents...
I won't argue with you here...especially the part about how everyone complained when EVERYONE got a hot meal.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Now let's not give Dougie any ideas. For business travelers, eliminating meals on long flights is not an attractive option.

Since most of us are forced to connect, the in-flight meal may be the only thing we get for 8 hours or more. Plus, I'd rather eat on the plane and spend my time between flights in the Club connected to Wi-fi or on the phone. Eating a meager meal at 30K feet is preferable to a noisy airport cantina filled with inebriated passengers or food court with screaming kids.

There is only one restaurant near a US terminal that I would ever bother eating at... Legal Seafood at DCA.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:23 pm

BOS has a Legal Seafood next to the US gates. It's a great place to waste some time eating.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by safetymom
BOS has a Legal Seafood next to the US gates. It's a great place to waste some time eating.
Good to know it's still there. I haven't been in Boston in years but am headed there this summer.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by PittDoc
There is only one restaurant near a US terminal that I would ever bother eating at... Legal Seafood at DCA.

I find the food at Philllips in CLT comparable....but the service can be lacking....
Old May 27, 2008, 4:04 pm

Have a lobster roll for me please. I agree about Phillips.
Old May 28, 2008, 8:08 am

overhead bin

Is there any policy regarding FA storing baggage in overhead bin. I have been on two separate flights in row 1 only to find the bin full with the FA baggage. This makes it especially difficult because I cannot store baggage under seat. Assume this has something to do with removal of closets from 320 planes. However, on both occassions, it was an former AWA plane which never had closets in the first place.
Old May 28, 2008, 8:13 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
AFAIK I've read a thread here and there are different places where crew supposed to store their things based on type of the a/c. Usually Row 1 is one of them as well as the last row. They have to have some of their things close in case it is needed.
Old May 28, 2008, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by iztok
AFAIK I've read a thread here and there are different places where crew supposed to store their things based on type of the a/c. Usually Row 1 is one of them as well as the last row. They have to have some of their things close in case it is needed.
You are somewhat correct. The larger rollerboard should be placed throughout the cabin. The smaller tote should really be placed as close to the f/a seat as possible as our manuals are usually stored there and need to be close by in the event of an emergency.

The removal of closets really did screw things up on the East (can't speak for west). Although we weren't suppose to put our bags in the larger closet, we put them there anyway as we all felt they were safe there AND it left room in the OH binds for a good 4-5 more bags. Luckily the East A319's still have closets.

When working B, I usually place my rollerboard straight in at the smaller bin on the right and my tote beneath the seat in front of my jumpseat.
Old May 28, 2008, 5:06 pm

Would it be practical to offer the FC gate-check tags to elites (or at least CP or PP/CP)? I usually don't mind giving up my rollaboard if I know I am getting it back in the jetway after a short wait, but I do get a bit frustrated when I'm not able to board with my group (or when everyone boards with the infamous "Zone 1/2 now boarding") and am asked to check it when I'm sitting in Y.

Also--thanks for starting this thread! Would love to give flight62 and GalleyWench A&B's as well--your insight and dedication is truly appreciated. ^
Old May 28, 2008, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goheelswks
Would it be practical to offer the FC gate-check tags to elites (or at least CP or PP/CP)? I usually don't mind giving up my rollaboard if I know I am getting it back in the jetway after a short wait, but I do get a bit frustrated when I'm not able to board with my group (or when everyone boards with the infamous "Zone 1/2 now boarding") and am asked to check it when I'm sitting in Y.

Also--thanks for starting this thread! Would love to give flight62 and GalleyWench A&B's as well--your insight and dedication is truly appreciated. ^
The policy states that if all the space runs out in FC, the F/A's may green tag (gate check) the bag(s).

I feel your pain. This whole Visa Card thing is allowing TOO many to board first...another not so well thought out decision.
Old May 28, 2008, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by flight62
The policy states that if all the space runs out in FC, the F/A's may green tag (gate check) the bag(s).
But isn't that still getting your luggage at the luggage carousel vs. in the jet way?
Old May 28, 2008, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iztok
But isn't that still getting your luggage at the luggage carousel vs. in the jet way?
No. The green tags are specifically for gate checking unless the agents ran out of regular bag checks and told you that would suffix for it. The green gate tag includes any FC bags, strollers, wheelchairs, and deadheading crew bags.
Old May 29, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum
Order of Service

The order of service is where I find great inconsistency, particularly on long haul (3+ hour) flights involving a meal service.

Is the order of service published in the flight attendant manual (based on scheduled flight time)?

As an example, given a 3+ hour flight , the First Class service flow would be:

Beverage service with snack basket (serving one row at a time) followed by the meal service. Second beverages would then be offered immediately after the last First Class passenger is served their meal. Meal tray would then be removed followed by coffee/dessert service.

In reality (a recent CLT-PHX flight) I frequently see the beverage served with the meal as the first step. Then the flight attendant completes the service and sits in the main cabin door's jumpseat reading (not their F/A manual).

What exactly does the company expect from their F/A's?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.