Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2008, 9:28 pm

Programs: US Plat, SPG Gold
So I noticed on my SFO-PHL flight today that the coffee pots (the ones that were on the beverage cart) said United on them. It's around the top, just below the lip. I assume US bought them from UA, but why? Are they all like this?
Old Jul 13, 2008, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by USPhilly
So I noticed on my SFO-PHL flight today that the coffee pots (the ones that were on the beverage cart) said United on them. It's around the top, just below the lip. I assume US bought them from UA, but why? Are they all like this?
Probably put on by mistake by catering. It happens a lot with ALL airlines.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by flight62
Probably put on by mistake by catering. It happens a lot with ALL airlines.
Interesting. Does that cause a problem of getting the equipment, in this case coffee pot, back to its owner? I would image it would be easy if the flight is going to a hub but what if it's not? I know this sounds a little strange but couldn't that cause problems (ie: too many of one airline's "equipment" in a non-hub location)?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by USPhilly
Interesting. Does that cause a problem of getting the equipment, in this case coffee pot, back to its owner? I would image it would be easy if the flight is going to a hub but what if it's not? I know this sounds a little strange but couldn't that cause problems (ie: too many of one airline's "equipment" in a non-hub location)?
Usually this happens when it is not our own catering. They make their way back. I'm sure our items have been spotted elsewhere. The biggest problems with items like coffee pots is believe it or not they may be the wrong size for lids or may not properly fit. You are more observant than most f/a's. We just brew and pour and laugh later if we notice it....or start a rumor.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Water for 1 1/2 hours

Hello,

I was on a flight from PHL to SDF on 7/9/08. We were delayed due to weather. Our plane could not operate the air conditioning until we took off. The flight attendant made an announcement that she only had water for 1 1/2 hours. I was curious how does one know how much water would last only 1 1/2 hours?

Thank you

ML
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:06 pm

Was this on mainline or express?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Originally Posted by *Propofol*
Was this on mainline or express?
I believe that it was an express flight.

Lisa
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mary Louise
I believe that it was an express flight.

Lisa
Im not even sure what she ment by only having water for 1 1/2 hours...
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Someone on your seat

So you board and there is someone sitting on the seat assigned to you and he has BP for seat way in the back.

What are your rights if you don't want to sit in the back? Can GA/FA threaten you to take another seat or (s)he will take you off the flight if you insist on seat assigned to you?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by iztok
So you board and there is someone sitting on the seat assigned to you and he has BP for seat way in the back.

What are your rights if you don't want to sit in the back? Can GA/FA threaten you to take another seat or (s)he will take you off the flight if you insist on seat assigned to you?
It really depends on why the person is in your seat. If it is a family we try to get them together. I don't know how other FA's do it but I put them in the farthest row back in their seating (they have three seats 12A, 14D and 20C; I’ll start them in row 20). I have never gotten to the point that you mention but of course I only have 22 rows of 4 to deal with and mainline has much more.

The airline only has to get you from point A to point B with a few exceptions. You are not guaranteed a specific seat. There is an operational and legal (people with disabilities and so forth) exception for seating that can nock you out of your assigned seat. Now some of you are going to say that’s not fair and what not but it is what it is.

If someone tells me that they won't take another seat. I do what I can and if I can't get them a satisfactory seat I offer the next avalible flight and so far they have always taken what we had. I then offer a comp beverage.

I wasn't there so I am not going to comment on the employees actions and if they were justified.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 6:00 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Thanks!

I just don't deal well with ultimatums. If someone would ask in case of the family I would be happy to move but to put me in position after the fact just ticks me off big time. I would take seat in the back (when I had FC seat) and I see a service (wo)man passing by (and I am not even US citizen!). But this just rubs me wrong way.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by cwe84

The airline only has to get you from point A to point B with a few exceptions. You are not guaranteed a specific seat.
Except if US sells you a specific seat (i.e. a "Choice Seat"), then essentially you are guaranteed a specific seat.....or you should get your money back.

I would hope that the FA's don't try to do forced seat-swapping in the Choice Seats rows, although I can see alot of that going on, due to all of the open middles which will likely be filled with gate assignments and standbys.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by iztok

Hmmm...I'm not sure about the legalities of this but I know that you are not guaranteed any particular seat. You are guaranteed a seat in a specific cabin. I'm not too familiar with the new 'choice seating' and how you would be compensated or accomodated in the event the seat is not available. Gate agents are trained in these matters and would be able to better answer your question.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SS255
Except if US sells you a specific seat (i.e. a "Choice Seat"), then essentially you are guaranteed a specific seat.....or you should get your money back.

I would hope that the FA's don't try to do forced seat-swapping in the Choice Seats rows, although I can see alot of that going on, due to all of the open middles which will likely be filled with gate assignments and standbys.
You are not suppose to move a choice seat passenger.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by flight62
You are not suppose to move a choice seat passenger.
That makes sense but does that apply to elites as well? Obviously we don't pay for the choice seats but would the FA know that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.