Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thank You to our FF for giving up their FC seat...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 5:44 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by intheairagain
Please! Get a grip Someone is sacrificing their life and you want a first class seat for an hour flight? Someone help me here...
Look, if someone wants to give up their seat for a a fellow-passenger for whatever reason, it is their prerogative -- for a soldier, for someone who is sick, for your loved one, whomever.

All I am saying is that an agent of USAir should not make that call, however well-intentioned, for a customer.

Until the rest of America makes some real sacrifices, please spare me the brouhaha. Giving up your seat is just a cheap way to make yourself feel good.
I find it amusing that you mention "an hour flight". So what, you wouldn't give up your seat if it was a TATL flight?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by WASBLR
Look, if someone wants to give up their seat for a a fellow-passenger for whatever reason, it is their prerogative -- for a soldier, for someone who is sick, for your loved one, whomever.

All I am saying is that an agent of USAir should not make that call, however well-intentioned, for a customer.

Until the rest of America makes some real sacrifices, please spare me the brouhaha. Giving up your seat is just a cheap way to make yourself feel good.
I find it amusing that you mention "an hour flight". So what, you wouldn't give up your seat if it was a TATL flight?

Agreed. Call me a sour puss, but that was their choice. Should we be giving up seats to firemen for putting out fires, police officers for putting a crack head in jail, a park ranger for setting loose a mountain lion....please spare me....

I'm sure my post isn't going to gain any points with anyone, but with me what you see is what you get. Then again I've been single now for a while...hmmm....
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
I think its the least we can do since maybe the next time we will be seeing them is when they are travelling with us in another part of the airplane into DCA.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:05 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum/,Lifetime Silver Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by WASBLR

First of all its US Airways not US Air. Giving a FC seat to a soldier is just a "nice thing" to do. In case you dont remember we are a total Voluntary Armed Forces. They do not choose when or where they just choose to serve. They are all well aware of that, so please dont question their commitment to our country they were asked to serve and they did. Your concern over giving a FC seat to soldier over you is really a testament about who you are.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Please! Get a grip Someone is sacrificing their life and you want a first class seat for an hour flight? Someone help me here...
Maybe someone will help you here, but its not going to be me. Why is it patriotic to give your seat up for someone in the military, and not to, say, a firefighter? What about a police officer? Teacher? Aren't kids our future? Where does one draw a line? US Army is a contract institution, not a draft, i.e. it is a choice of an individual to join the forces.
I truly feel awful that our soldiers are dying in Iraq for no reason at all (but I don't want to turn this into a political discussion), I also feel awful that there are plenty of firefighters, police officers, etc. that are in danger everyday, and no one gives their seats up for them.
I am fully aware that the majority of people here would disagree with this, but this is my point of view.

EDITED: Just saw enviroian's post, and agree with it completely, looks like I am not the only one who feels that way.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairmans Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum/,Lifetime Silver Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by asnovici
Maybe someone will help you here, but its not going to be me. Why is it patriotic to give your seat up for someone in the military, and not to, say, a firefighter? What about a police officer? Teacher? Aren't kids our future? Where does one draw a line? US Army is a contract institution, not a draft, i.e. it is a choice of an individual to join the forces.
I truly feel awful that our soldiers are dying in Iraq for no reason at all (but I don't want to turn this into a political discussion), I also feel awful that there are plenty of firefighters, police officers, etc. that are in danger everyday, and no one gives their seats up for them.
I am fully aware that the majority of people here would disagree with this, but this is my point of view.
I truly feel awful that our soldiers are dying in Iraq for no reason at all

As an American I can not even respond to your statement or believe you said that. Have a great life I'm done responding to this thread.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am fully aware that the majority of people here would disagree with this, but this is my point of view

Good post ^

Ian
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
Good post ^

Ian
The majority dont!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:34 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
The majority dont!
I thought you weren't going to respond to the thread as you mentioned in your previous post?

Regardless, please spare me, there is a reason I don't know which channel Fox News is on.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:34 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Maybe someone will help you here, but its not going to be me. Why is it patriotic to give your seat up for someone in the military, and not to, say, a firefighter? What about a police officer? Teacher?
Or the people, besides servicemen/women, that really risk their health and their lives for us, like loggers and EMTs.

Giving your F seat to a soldier, airman, etc.: Cool. ^
Being forced to give up your F seat by a GA circumventing the official policy: Not cool.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by ralfp
Or the people, besides servicemen/women, that really risk their health and their lives for us, like loggers and EMTs.

Giving your F seat to a soldier, airman, etc.: Cool. ^
Being forced to give up your F seat by a GA circumventing the official policy: Not cool.
Dont worry when Bill and Hillary are elected you will be all winners!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:40 pm

LOL! I think this quote says it all!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

no need to turn this into an Omni thread. Please...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
If I had a confirmed seat in F and was bumped for whatever reason I wouldn't be pleased. I think it is similar to to some of the 'switching seats' thread. If people ask politely, many FTers are more than willing to give up their seat. However, if someone else just plonks themselves in your seat, regardless of whether you are the president or a random person, the person whose seat it is has a right to be POd IMHO.

EDITED: Just saw enviroian's post, and agree with it completely, looks like I am not the only one who feels that way.
I agree completely as well. I would not give up my seat for someone who is fighting in a country where so many civillians (some of whom are family members of my close friends) have been killed, IMHO uneccesarily.

Even then, I think it is fair that you would also give up your seat to a doctor, police officer, firefighter etc. if you are willing to give it up to someone in the military. On a side note - in such situations would US refund the money / miles to the man who gave up his seat?

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.