Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Awards no longer "Rule Busters"?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:59 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Premium Awards no longer "Rule Busters"?

I was just trying to help a friend plan a trip to Hawaii, and she was going to use US Airways Dividend Miles and they're going to use Premium Awards, but I was surprised to see that availability is limited when using Premium Awards, I'm guessing this is another enhancement from the merger?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 1:15 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
Here's the definition of coach premium award from the US Site:

Coach Premium – Premium awards require you to redeem more miles for a flight, but give you more flexibility with your travel options. In most cases, as long as a seat is available for sale, you will be able to redeem your miles for a flight. Blackout dates may apply.

Guess maybe there's a blackout, a sell out or something else for the dates you want? You didn't say when and where you wanted to fly from/to. I'd call US and ask for help.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 1:31 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BostonMark
Here's the definition of coach premium award from the US Site:

Coach Premium – Premium awards require you to redeem more miles for a flight, but give you more flexibility with your travel options. In most cases, as long as a seat is available for sale, you will be able to redeem your miles for a flight. Blackout dates may apply.

Guess maybe there's a blackout, a sell out or something else for the dates you want? You didn't say when and where you wanted to fly from/to. I'd call US and ask for help.
That's easy, it's Spring Break flying out of CLT to Hawaii, so I'm sure they've blacked out the weekends (mid-week flights are available).

I didn't realize US had done this, Delta got a lot of flak recently for implementing restrictions on their "Rule Buster" awards, yet there are other airlines that already have these restrictions in place.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
That's easy, it's Spring Break flying out of CLT to Hawaii, so I'm sure they've blacked out the weekends (mid-week flights are available).

I didn't realize US had done this, Delta got a lot of flak recently for implementing restrictions on their "Rule Buster" awards, yet there are other airlines that already have these restrictions in place.
Announced blackout dates fine. But, (I wrote a thread on this yesterday or the day before) I'm finding this problem on all sorts of flights at all sorts of times over the summer. A Tuesday in June from PHX-PHL? Tons of seats for sale in first and coach on every flight, but not a single "Premium award" seat available in either. When I started probing it was absolutely amazing how many flights were zeroed out from having "Premium Award" availability. Now, if you talk to a good agent they will put you on hold and plead your case to revenue management, who may open up a seat for you. But, this is pretty ridiculous! There ought to be some award level (fine, make a new higher third level if they want) that is "If a seat is available for sale, this award level can book that seat, no exceptions.".

cheers,
-bp
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Try this approach: Say to the agent "YOU tell ME when to go!" A co-worker of mine did this once when trying to redeem AA miles to TLV.....and the agent had a hard time finding any availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.