Wiki Posts
Search

FA Jumpseats in front on an A320

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold.
FA Jumpseats in front on an A320

This just happened to me last night so I wanted to know if others have seen this happen more often.

While waiting at the gate in PHX the FA's told maintenance that when they sit in the jump seats on that aircraft the bathroom door will swing open during takeoff. So the seats were taped off. Then the FA's cleared row 1 of First. I was bumped back to row 3. I understand they need to sit in front, but clearing the whole row just makes me ask, why all four seats.

Maintenance tagged 1C and 1D not for passenger use, but not 1A or 1F.

Thanks
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:33 pm

They probably didn't want to sit down with the "common" folks in steerage so they sent you back.

Actually it's a FAA regulation that Crew Members are not to sit in a passenger designated seat...MX wrote the seats off for Crew use enabling the other seats to be inoperable...

What I don't understand is...why didn't they pick 1A/1C...
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:01 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by usa18dca
What I don't understand is...why didn't they pick 1A/1C...
When the F/A jumpseat is unusable, they are required to sit in aisle seats. There is no requirement to block the adjoining seats, however, so that was strictly the F/A's preference - as someone else said.

Jim
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:52 pm

I dont think theres any regulation saying F/As cant sit in passenger seats. F/As sit in passengers seats all the time when there not doing the service. This rule may apply just to takeoff and landing. You shouldnt complain about getting bumped, during takeoff and landing the F/As are concerned about evacuating the aircraft if it were to crash and start on fire. 1CD would be the best seats for the F/As in the event of an emergency and dont for one second think that your comfort is more important than the safety of the plane. If I misunderstood your question, I apologize.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold.
I was not complaining, strange for this forum. My question was more if anyone else was cleared in 1A and 1F. I fully understand 1C and 1D for FA use.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 8:54 am

What I don't understand is why they would MEL the f/a jumpseats because of a bathroom door. Not sure about the west a/c, but on the east side the bathroom door handle is on the left side of the door and the door opens left to right; therefore, it would open towards the cockpit and not the jumpseat. It would also only swing open during landing, not takeoff. Does that make sense?
However, if the f/a jumpseat is inop then they would block off the closest aisle seats for the f/a's to use. 1C and 1D or the rear row aisle seat if it is the rear jumpseat. Not sure why they would block the entire row, but now that you mention it the last time I saw an inop jumpseat was on an A330 and they did block off 6G and 6H (back when there were 7 rows of Envoy).
Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:37 am

Can the lav doors be locked for takeoff/landing?
Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:54 pm

They SHOULD BE LOCKED during takeoffs and landings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.