Wiki Posts
Search

Pittsburgh Airport.....Wow!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman
Pittsburgh Airport.....Wow!

On my travels today, I was lucky enough to have an extra 4 hours at PIT (my flight was late, missing my connection). I have been through PIT many times, always remarking how nice of an airport it is. Lately, there have been a lot of rumblings on this board with the reduction in flights. Since I had the extra time, I walked around the airport a bit. I was suprised at how big the A and B concourses are. The airport is a lot bigger than I thought it was, I can see why everyone is so upset. What really amazed me was how dead the airport is. There was literally no one in the airport, which was very eerie for 5:30 in the evening. I wonder how long the stores will stay open. It really is quite a shame.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
It's a ghost town. Does anybody remember when they used to operate Landside as well as Airside?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by gardener
It's a ghost town. Does anybody remember when they used to operate Landside as well as Airside?
Absolutely! And it is a shame. It is such a nice facility with things to do between flights!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
<<insert standard "loss of PIT" lament here>>
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by gardener
Absolutely!! That was when there was also frequent service to/from SCE. Today everything on US goes to PHL, which needs no comment.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sad, sad, sad. I don't want to even look at the salespersons as I walk by the stores. They stand in front of their perfectly arranged but empty boutiques with such blank, lonely looks on their faces. Some of the finest shopping in Pittsburgh is at the airport but I can't imagine they will be there much longer. Nor will I.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, AA AAdvantage
But August 2007 traffic at PIT was only down 1.9% from August 2006. Or did the decline start before that?

http://www.flypittsburgh.com/NewsEve...s&shortdescp=6
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
Did you notice the gate remodeling going on today on the A Concourse? A7, A9, A2 & A4 have been stripped of US signage and are being repainted. Since these are all adjacent to WN's A1, A3 & A5, I'm thinking they are planning more than 2 flights. Unless these are for someone else.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:10 pm

I think the stores close between 8:00 and 9:00. It is sad to come off a flight at 10:00 and everything is closed.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:19 pm

Programs: None
[QUOTE=im_blue;8605144]But August 2007 traffic at PIT was only down 1.9% from August 2006. Or did the decline start before that?

Well before that.....comparing same months:

2006 was 3.9% below 2005
2005 was 24.9% below 2004
2004 was 0.2% below 2003
2003 was 22.3% below 2002
2002 was 15.8% below 2001 (this period includes 911 when traffic dropped everywhere).

You can tell when the cuts occured during the two BKs.

Jim
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I could go on for hours about this....I was just there last month, for the first time in a few years, and was absolutely floored by the difference.

There used to literally be planes and people everywhere. It's a ghost town now.

ETA: we are down from 6+ flights to/from MDT to 2 daily. Used to be mainline jet service, now it's Dash-8's........
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:29 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
PIT is a great airport and I try to fly through there when I can, avoiding PHL if possible. Fortunately, there are still flights from BOS to PIT.

However, I can't help but think that if there was such a great opportunity at PIT someone would have taken it by now.

WN made BWI a major airport even while US had a major presence there, but aren't doing that at PIT - 2 flights increase next year? Maybe they change their mind and add 4 or 5, it doesn't seem like they're rushing in like they did at BWI.

FL has never shied away from competition - they go head to heat with Delta in Atlanta. They're not making PIT a major hub and they've wanted something in the in the midwest (though I guess PIT is not really midwest.)

B6 seems to be disappointed with PIT and isn't rushing in with more service.

None of the legacies are rushing in with service.

It seems to me that, if there really were a great untapped opportunity at PIT, someone would have taken advantage of it by now or at least put themselves in a position to make a major push when the time is right. I just don't see any signs of that from anyone.

It's ashame - PIT has everything - except the flying public or the support of the carriers to make it a major hub. It reminds me of a city that builds a stadium for a sports franchise that later relocates and, despite having a great facility, the city never again gets a sports franchise because the fan base just isn't there.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, AA AAdvantage
Well before that.....comparing same months:

2006 was 3.9% below 2005
2005 was 24.9% below 2004
2004 was 0.2% below 2003
2003 was 22.3% below 2002
2002 was 15.8% below 2001 (this period includes 911 when traffic dropped everywhere).
If my math is correct, that's a decline of 54% from 2001 to 2007!
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:53 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by im_blue
If my math is correct, that's a decline of 54% from 2001 to 2007!
Don't know about the math, but that's probably right (if not conservative). PIT is basically down to it's own O&D traffic.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:03 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by BostonMark
FL has never shied away from competition - they go head to heat with Delta in Atlanta. They're not making PIT a major hub and they've wanted something in the in the midwest (though I guess PIT is not really midwest.)
Actually, they tried it. US, ironically enough, ran them out of PIT.

FL came into PIT and ran PIT-ATL, PIT-TPA, PIT-FLL (I think), PIT-MDW, PIT-LGA. They eventually dropped LGA and MDW due to price matching from US.

They moved up the street to CAK and could pick from both CLE and PIT. It's worked well. At the end of the day, they were the last incursion US was able to hold off.

B6 seems to be disappointed with PIT and isn't rushing in with more service.
B6 is going to be a lot happier in PIT. US is basically conceding the New York and Boston markets with the latest schedule change. B6 wishes it had happened last year, of course.

B6 also has CO and AA and DL flying PIT-NYC. It's not like US was the only other game in town.

None of the legacies are rushing in with service.
In the past few years, AA has added MIA and brought back JFK flights. DL added SLC and additional frequencies. UA has added DEN. Short of UA to SFO or LAX, what is left to add? Nobody is going to open a hub at PIT, of course, but it's not like the legacies have ignored it.

BOS is a without a hub carrier. I'm going to assume that has nothing at all to do with lack of demand. I'm wondering why, in that light, there is no hub carrier?

It seems to me that, if there really were a great untapped opportunity at PIT, someone would have taken advantage of it by now or at least put themselves in a position to make a major push when the time is right. I just don't see any signs of that from anyone.
20+ flights from WN in less than 2 years? They have as much mainline metal at PIT as US does, come next year. PIT's already bigger than a bunch of WN's stations, including CLE (which has been around forever).

It reminds me of a city that builds a stadium for a sports franchise that later relocates and, despite having a great facility, the city never again gets a sports franchise because the fan base just isn't there.
Really lousy analogy: Two of PIT's three sports franchises are worth a ton, relative to not only their peers in size but any franchise in either the NFL or NHL.

It's also a poor analogy since sports teams generally can't (or have not) abused bankruptcy in the same way that US did. The more apt analogy is that the city builds a stadium and gives it to the team owner, who then complains that no seats are being sold after he breaks the lease and moves the team. Tough to draw fans without a team, eh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.