Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What were America West 747s like

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2007, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
What were America West 747s like

Durring my boyhood in CA in the 1980s I remember seeing America West 747s that went to Hawaii and Japan. My question is did anyone here go on them and what was the service like. I believe it was a three class aircraft, how good was their First/business? I had been told years ago that this was there best service and included fresh flowers in the prem cabins.

Second, did any of you fly AW when they gave slippers in first for their PHX to PHL transcon run. This was in the very beginning I remember seeing adds for this. It was truly a different time. Believe it or not, USAir briefly served full hot meals on its PSA runs from LAX to OAK/SFO and a full dinner in FC for the under 2 hour trip. At one time both were quality carriers.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 7:02 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Believe it or not, USAir briefly served full hot meals on its PSA runs from LAX to OAK/SFO and a full dinner in FC for the under 2 hour trip. At one time both were quality carriers.
The LAX-SFO meals were short lived as it could not be done with out a big mess. USAir management put meals on those flights without realizing how short those flights were. They actually told the PSA f/a's they just couldn't cut the mustard...SOOOO...the USAir f/a's tried it and guess what? Yup, a big mess and it went to snack.

I can't speak for AWA transcon flights, but I can tell you we use to do ALOT on TC flights

Coach:
Pre departure w wine/oj
full bev
bev/meal w/ 3 choices of meals (FREE)
coffee/liquers
One and a half hours before landing
ice cream or snack
beverages
coffee
hot towels (YES COACH)
mints

Wow, I miss those days!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Second, did any of you fly AW when they gave slippers in first for their PHX to PHL transcon run. This was in the very beginning I remember seeing adds for this. It was truly a different time. Believe it or not, USAir briefly served full hot meals on its PSA runs from LAX to OAK/SFO and a full dinner in FC for the under 2 hour trip. At one time both were quality carriers.
Please dont start mentioning PSA and their service. If you do, I'm going to have to spend $25 to reup my prescription for my Zoloft.

PSA was 'da bomb. USAirways today is akin to Greyhound with wings.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 8:06 am

At one time both were quality carriers.
At one time all US-based carriers where quality carrieris. They even set standards... hard to imagine these days.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:29 am

Programs: SkyMiles, Dividend Miles, True Blue, Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by Bob'sYourUncle
At one time all US-based carriers where quality carrieris. They even set standards... hard to imagine these days.
It also cost more in 1978 dollars to fly JFK - LAX in coach then it costs in 2007 dollars to do it in first.

You gets what you pays for.

-Dave
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Plat,DL PM,HH Diamond
As a young lad, in 1989 and 1990, we flew via an America West Vacations trip to HNL (ultimately to OGG...we still have the canvas bag they gave us as gifts) ORD-PHX-HNL.

ORD-PHX was on an ex-EA 757, movie, full hot breakfast.

PHX-HNL, ex-KL 747. I had ordered a special meal, low-fat I believe and was served a shrimp cocktail, grilled chicken breast with wild rice. Being nine at the time, prior to boarding we were allowed up to see the upper deck and cockpit. I still have the 4x4 photos of my sister and I in our traveling garb, and the canvas bags given out, standing up there.

On the return trip, we flew HNL-LAS-PHX on the same a/c.

If I remember correctly, my dad was impressed there was free alcohol in Y on a domestic leg. I don't remember if this was HP policy, or if this was because the flight was continuing to NGO. Either way, it was memorable.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MrDave
It also cost more in 1978 dollars to fly JFK - LAX in coach then it costs in 2007 dollars to do it in first.

You gets what you pays for.

-Dave
MrDave --

THANK YOU for pointing this out!!! I thought that I was the only one old enough to remember exactly this. I paid $339 roundtrip (the lowest sale fare available) in Y for SEA-BOS in 1980 (holiday trip during freshman year in college). In today's dollars, that would be approx. $850 for the LOWEST sale fare.

If airlines did raise fares, that would solve the airport overcrowding problem because most people would have to severely cut back on trips!!!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:24 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by mlsrar
PHX-HNL, ex-KL 747...
If I remember correctly, my dad was impressed there was free alcohol in Y on a domestic leg. I don't remember if this was HP policy.
There were four of the ex KL 742s. A bit underpowered for PHX and LAS summer days - climbouts seemed to take until the shoreline. But very nice service - I had Mahi-Mahi on the way to HNL.

For the first several years of HP, free cocktails and WSJ were standard on ALL flights. You even paid the FA for your ticket after boarding.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
the best thing about the HNL flights was the Passport to Paradise, which made them free if you flew enough segments during the promo period. Sigh. I'm getting depressed, too.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 9:46 pm

Here's some old America West ads. In particular, note the first class ad from 1989.
Originally Posted by America West
A choice of hot entrees served the way fine food should be served -- on china with linen napkins and cloths.
This site also has the famous "When's the next plane to Phoenix?" PSA commercial.

*Sigh*
Old Sep 27, 2007, 10:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I remember the 747 "Bird of Paradise". In the lat 1980's, to stave off bankruptcy I think, HP offered $50? flights to anywhere and people lined up around the airport to buy them. It was a one day only sale and you could fly anywhere. My father bought 4 tickets to HNL. We flew Y of course, but I recall macadamia nuts, chicken breast, free alcohol, and menus!
Old Sep 28, 2007, 12:51 am

Wow...better than BA

We used the America West 747 from PHX TO HNL in First Class. Beutiful music played as you boarded the plane. Your full name was pinned to the top of your your asssigned seat in first class before you boarded the plane and was in this silver name tag holder. You were served by two attendants with lays. One female attendant was not allowed to speak to the customer and was known as the "silent server" and she assisted the flight attendant by helping carve the meat on a rolling serving station, getting the wine etc. It was great. My only regret was not flying all the way to Japan.

The plane was taken out service for a while and used to ferry our US troops somewhere before it was permanately retired.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
So the 747s were AWA's Premier Service

I had wondered for a long time what the service was on those flights. My American First Class flight OAK-HNL was much the same thing. Shrimp Scampe down to the sunday. Those were the times!!
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
One female attendant was not allowed to speak to the customer and was known as the "silent server" and she assisted the flight attendant by helping carve the meat on a rolling serving station,
What is the point of doing this? I can imagine all the posts if this was still going on, "The F/A pretended like I wasnt even their! How many miles should I get?"
Old Oct 25, 2007, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
I have friends that have worked at HP (still work for them, obviously not as HP employees anymore ) since 1988. It was such a huge deal when the 742's came on. But man were they maintenance nightmares.

Back when they only had 2, their nicknames were Damien and Christine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.